Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
The perfect book for New Year's Eve

Hi, so there are about four months remaining till December the 31st. But for me, the days are going by very fast. I'm reading a lot. Then I got the idea to ask you what should I read for the handful of days that straddle 2014 and 2015. It doesn't need to be a Christmassy book. I've already read A Christmas Carol.

It can be a feel good and sentimental (but not overly romantic) book. I have chanced on few upbeat books that are pure fun to read, like the book equivalent to Home Alone. So you could suggest a children's book, but I'd prefer a normal novel. Any genre could fit the bill; hell, even a good horror book, a genre I know next to nothing. A suitable horror book, with less gore, can be a contrast to the occasion, and bring the festivities into relief. What do you recommend? Go.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Generally around the Xmas season, my two typical rereads are:
  1. Terry Pratchett's Hogfather, a humorous and insightful fantasy in his Discworld series and involving the Disc's version of Santa, and more recently,
  2. Charles Stross's Overtime, a Hugo-nominated novella in his The Laundry series of Lovecraftian bureaucracy urban fantasy/horror tales, with this installment dealing with the obligatory office Christmas party in a world where The Things From The Dungeon Dimensions™ really are trying to take over (this is available as a free read online @ Tor.com and while it takes place after The Fuller Memorandum, does not contain any major spoilers for what really happened in that one, nor does this novella contain any gory content, IIRC)

Mind you, I'm an atheist living in what's apparently my country's most statistically agnostic city area and I tend to be more than a little cynical and burnt-out after listening to too much Xmas music in the shopping areas by the end of the year, so YMMV.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
+1 to Hogfather. Very insightful.

(Speaking rather biased as a religious Jew.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
+2 to Hogfather

[there's also a quite good film version of it - I watch it every Xmas eve]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:35 AM   #5
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Generally around the Xmas season, my two typical rereads are:
  1. Terry Pratchett's Hogfather, a humorous and insightful fantasy in his Discworld series and involving the Disc's version of Santa, and more recently,
  2. Charles Stross's Overtime, a Hugo-nominated novella in his The Laundry series of Lovecraftian bureaucracy urban fantasy/horror tales, with this installment dealing with the obligatory office Christmas party in a world where The Things From The Dungeon Dimensions™ really are trying to take over (this is available as a free read online @ Tor.com and while it takes place after The Fuller Memorandum, does not contain any major spoilers for what really happened in that one, nor does this novella contain any gory content, IIRC)

Mind you, I'm an atheist living in what's apparently my country's most statistically agnostic city area and I tend to be more than a little cynical and burnt-out after listening to too much Xmas music in the shopping areas by the end of the year, so YMMV.
I do have the Discworld book. I'm an atheist too, but I don't live in the US, so I don't get that amount of exposure.

Last edited by Luffy; 09-13-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert