Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Dis
Dis began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Indentations & Paragraph Spacing Loss

I've just taken purchase of a Sony 505, and loaded it up with several titles from the wonderful Feedbooks site. However I'm not particularly fond of the recommendations, author bio, other notes, and book cover included in their epub files.

Seeking to remove these I've used Sigil. Between the WYSIWYG pane and the code pane - I'm fairly versed in both XHTML and CSS - I've been able to edit the files to my desires.

My problem lies in that whenever I any change at all to an epub file and transfer it over to the 505, I lose all paragraph spacing and all identation.

Does anyone have any advice on overcoming this problem? I'm using Sigil 1.5 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. I transfer the files directly to the 505's memory as a removeable disc.

Thank you.

Last edited by Dis; 12-01-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis View Post
My problem lies in that whenever I any change at all to an epub file and transfer it over to the 505, I lose all paragraph spacing and all identation.
You should test how your files look in Adobe Digital Editions (it's free), since the mobile version of the same rendering engine is inside the Sony Readers. The ADE engine has more than a few quirks, and you're never quite sure how things will work out in it.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I too have been having this problem since 0.14. I'm on a Mac.

Here's an example...
1. I download Cory Doctorow's "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom" from Feedbooks. (I have this problem with any epub or html with indents)
2. Open in Adobe Digital Editions and indents are there (see Picture 1).
3. Open in Sigil 0.15 Mac and indents are gone (see Picture 2).
4. Make small edit (girlfriend to boyfriend) and resave as epub.
5. Open the new epub in Adobe Digital Editions and indents are gone (see Picture 3).

Also attached are the original and resaved epubs.

NOTE: In a few cases where I've opened html files in Sigil, the indents show but don't save.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	519
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	40544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	523
Size:	357.8 KB
ID:	40545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.png
Views:	531
Size:	488.8 KB
ID:	40546  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Doctorow - Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom.epub (787.3 KB, 484 views)
File Type: epub Doctorow - Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom-from Sigil.epub (781.2 KB, 484 views)
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
I too have been having this problem since 0.14. I'm on a Mac.

Here's an example...
That could then be a bug. I'll take a look at it.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
That could then be a bug. I'll take a look at it.
Found it. The book you posted uses @import CSS rules to import external stylesheets. That doesn't currently work in Sigil. This will have to wait until v0.2.0 (I'm starting to sound like a broken record...).

An easy workaround is to just copy the CSS directly and not use the @import rule.

Yes, I know this sucks.

EDIT: Do create an issue for this on the tracker so I remember to get to it when 0.2.0 hits.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
whoa, v0.2.0 is going to support external style sheets?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
whoa, v0.2.0 is going to support external style sheets?
After 0.2.0 it should be possible to implement support for the @import rule, yes. As long as the referenced CSS file is in the epub file, this should work.