Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #31
bmcox
Connoisseur
bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I have to second Ramsey's suggestion about Joel Friedlander's website. But I think it may help to ask, what exactly are you looking for? By this I mean, type of book the cover is for, how you'd like it to be represented, etcetera. This will help narrow your choice down.
bmcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #32
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Yeah good question, you don't want a guy with a bare chest for a hard SF book... unless it's SF romance and the guy is holding a space helmet under his arm ;-)
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #33
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Yeah good question, you don't want a guy with a bare chest for a hard SF book... unless it's SF romance and the guy is holding a space helmet under his arm ;-)
Or wearing only the helmet.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #34
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
I want something bright and bold and professional-looking.

Here's what I did in paint.net (and I have no idea what I'm doing). At least in my mind this works. I'd need better graphics, maybe a border. I don't know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sketchAquaTheFind.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	553.0 KB
ID:	103288  
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #35
sargatanas
sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It would be best to describe how you want your cover to speak and provide a brief synopsis of the book.
I've done some concept art on a commission basis and it's important to keep your communication lines open with whoever you hire throughout the process to ensure that you get what you want as opposed to what you are willing to pay for.
sargatanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #36
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargatanas View Post
It would be best to describe how you want your cover to speak and provide a brief synopsis of the book.
I've done some concept art on a commission basis and it's important to keep your communication lines open with whoever you hire throughout the process to ensure that you get what you want as opposed to what you are willing to pay for.
Thanks sargatanas. I agree with you on that. Appreciate the feedback.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #37
sargatanas
sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sargatanas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sure thing.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #38
liquidenvy
liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
http://www.vividcovers.com offers premades, but also does custom work if you have something specific in mind.
liquidenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #39
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I tried to send them an inquiry, and can't because their contact form requires a website, and I don't have one (yet)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #40
Teutonic0
Jr. Member Extraordinaire
Teutonic0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I just recently got into book cover-ish stuff myself, so I'm pretty noobish & am afraid there's a reason why no one here has mentioned it yet:

designcrowd.com

--Is a place that's really impressed us. We recently got an Easter deal on the posting rates, so we were able to get a really nice book cover for about $160.00 (so normally it's about $200 for the cheapest option). That may be a bit more than the $100 you were thinking of, but you get lots of submissions by different authors according to the specifications you list.

I don't know if it's considered a bad place because it's pretty tough competition for artists, or just isn't well known. And a lot of the submissions are going to be meh, but so far it seems we've gotten at least a few artists who do excellent work. Hope that helps
Teutonic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #41
sargatanas

I designed my own book cover and will continue to do so. But that's for my own satisfaction and peace of mind, and I'm so completely broke all of the time. If it's a lame cover, then it's my fault.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #42
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks Teutonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic0 View Post
We recently got an Easter deal on the posting rates, so we were able to get a really nice book cover for about $160.00 (so normally it's about $200 for the cheapest option).
I checked it out. It seemed to me you offer what you offer. (I didn't seen anything about it being $200 for the cheapest option.) But it looks good. Thanks for passing it along.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #43
liquidenvy
liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.liquidenvy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I tried to send them an inquiry, and can't because their contact form requires a website, and I don't have one (yet)
Put in google.com! Maybe they'll think they're getting an inquiry from Larry Page

edit: pinged 'em about it, looks like it's fixed--seems like a sad reason not to get an inquiry, I wonder how many sales they've lost because of it!
liquidenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #44
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Thank you - I'll try sending them my inquiry again.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote