Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
For me, it's size. 10" is way too big. I need something portable.
+1.
Even in the home market, you need something closer to half a pound in weight, for extended reading, and with current tech you can't get there at 10in.
At 8in you just might close enough.
If we look at the iPad mini's reviews, the biggest plus of the haardware is the weight.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
ZDNET poses an interesting question: Has Apple redfeined the tablet as an 8in device?
http://www.zdnet.com/has-apple-redef...79/?s_cid=e539

I'm thinking they might have. Purely by accident.
The evidence isn't the iPad mini by itself but the Mini within the context of the evolution of the tablet market in the second half of 2012.

I'm thinking the Galaxy Note 8 bears watching.
Hard to believe anyone would try to credit Apple for the current state of the table market. It's kind of like giving Apple credit for establishing Intel as a platform for personal computing. Jobs himself dismissed the midsize tablets. Apple, Inc. dragged its feet as long as possible. The mini was a desperate attempt to slow the defections.

There's no magic in 8" -- it won't fit in my pocket and isn't good for reading magazines. It's just another size. Some will love it. Some will not.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I won't be watching that pic. My thoughts about him are best summed up here:

Spoiler:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I won't be watching that pic. My thoughts about him are best summed up here:

Spoiler:
I had no idea you felt that way about Ashton Kutcher

Did he steal your bananas?

Last edited by 5thWiggle; 01-24-2013 at 01:50 PM.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #20
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Why? The screen is slightly bigger than my current 7" and the resolution is higher...
The resolution is no where near the latest iPad or even the Nook HD+ or Nook HD or even the Kindle Fire HD.

It's only slightly better than the iPad mini.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #21
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Hard to believe anyone would try to credit Apple for the current state of the table market.
Saying they *accidentally* validated something is hardly crediting them for anything.
But the fact is that the popularity of both the bigger phones and smaller tablets is not being lost on the screen manufacturers; which is why Nook was able to get a 900P 7in screen that is not in general use anywhere else. A big change from the days when all tablets had to use either DVD-player or netbook screens.

With the Mini as a target, second and third tier vendors will likely leave the mobility market to the big phones (and the dirt-cheap generics--there's a bloodbath coming at 7inches) and instead focus on the 8in market as a more viable market than the 10inchers. The way the wind is blowing, by the second half of the year we'll see SXGA and UXGA screens in the 4x3 8inchers and 900P and FullHD in the 16x10 models, all at sub-Mini prices. (Say $200-250.) And, at the same time, lower weights.

Both variants will make for excellent home ebook readers and with the bubble of $99 WVGA 7inchers we can expect a lot more pressure on the eink devices. Which will likely have to respond by going lower in prices. (These things ripple out.)
Old 01-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #22
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
The resolution is no where near the latest iPad or even the Nook HD+ or Nook HD or even the Kindle Fire HD.
They are also smaller.
An 8in 4x3 SXGA screen at 1280x1024 runs 200 dpi.
An UXGA (1600x1200) screen would run a clean 250 dpi.
Plenty good for a color reader.

Me, I'd take either if it came with an SD card slot and a price around $200.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #23
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Saying they *accidentally* validated something is hardly crediting them for anything.
Oh, well. Here...

Quote:
[In a fabled meeting between Jobs and Gates, Steve Jobs supposedly to Bill Gates], “You’re ripping us off! I trusted you, and now you’re stealing from us!”

[To which Gates responded,] “Well, Steve, I think there’s more than one way of looking at it. I think it’s more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it.”
The mini tablet form was validated by Amazon's spectacular launch or the Fire which was followed by Google's popular Nexus. That form was established while Apple was still denying an iPad Mini.

Last edited by wizwor; 01-24-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #24
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Oh, well. Here...

The mini tablet form was validated by Amazon's spectacular launch or the Fire which was followed by Google's popular Nexus. That form was established while Apple was still denying an iPad Mini.
One thing Jobs (and Apple) learned from the Mac is that being first doesn't matter; what matters is who sells it to the mainstream.

Since then they have always waited for somebody else to "scout" a product category before coming in; Diamond and Creative Labs for MP3 players, Microsoft and Nokia for Smartphones, Microsoft again for tablets, Roku for streaming devices. (Well, 3 out of 4 ain't bad. )

So just because Amazon and Google have successful 7in products out there doesn't mean Apple can't waltz in and redefine the market for small tablets just as Samsung redefined the market for smartphones with the Galaxy note. And it is their track record of doing that that makes them the current trendsetter that everybody falls all over themselves to copy.

Dunno 'bout you, but Samsung has a reasonably successful 7incher in the Galaxy Tab, yet they are jumping to get out an 8incher for a reason. And the reason is Apple sold a ton of iPad minis.

Right now, Apple could jump off a cliff and half the tech companies in the world would jump right after them.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #25
wizwor
Wizard

I know, but NO ONE except Apple was selling anything until the Fire arrived. Jobs said that 10" was the right size for a tablet and vowed to never make anything between the iPod and the iPad. Obviously, Amazon redefined the market when they SUCCESSFULLY introduced a tweener. If you want to quibble over the last inch, be my guest, but Apple played 'me too' in the tweener market.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #26
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Rumors have it that the new iPad will have a thinner bezel. They could shave off about 2 inches all around, so that would make the 10 inch device as portable as an 8 inch one.

I need my 10 screen, since I look at it all day long, and gladly lug around a few more grams for the viewing convenience. Anything smaller than 10 inches makes it instantly less productive for me, and a consumption only device, since I use handwriting apps at work, and surf/email/shop exclusively on my iPad.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #27
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They are also smaller.
An 8in 4x3 SXGA screen at 1280x1024 runs 200 dpi.
An UXGA (1600x1200) screen would run a clean 250 dpi.
Plenty good for a color reader.

Me, I'd take either if it came with an SD card slot and a price around $200.
Rumored specs unfortunately peg it at 189 ppi.

Quote:
The Galaxy Note 8 is supposedly going to arrive with 2GB of RAM on board, with the front camera pegged at 1.3 megapixels, and the rear at 5 megapixels. The display is supposed to be around 1280 x 800, which, while not mind-blowingly dense, still beats the iPad mini with 189 ppi vs. 163 ppi for Apple’s smaller tablet. A report from earlier this week suggest it will have a 1.6GHz quad core processor under the hood.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #28
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
That'd be disappointing, that would have been OK a year go, but it's not good enough now.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #29
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

It's only slightly better than the iPad mini.
Nook = no sale
Kinde Fire HD = no sale

Any apple = no sale

So, what other tablets are there, in the range of 7 to 8 inch, with the ability to stick an SD card in there in Europe? As far as I know, only the Nexus is for sale, and the older Samsung 7" tablet.

Quote:
My current tablet has a 170 ppi. And I have 0 problems with that. Why should I need more then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
That'd be disappointing, that would have been OK a year go, but it's not good enough now.
That depends one the person. It's more than enough for me and I think a lot of other people as well. It all depends on functionality vs price.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:37 AM   #30
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

My current tablet has a 170 ppi. And I have 0 problems with that. Why should I need more then?

That depends one the person. It's more than enough for me and I think a lot of other people as well. It all depends on functionality vs price.
For the rumored price I'd expect more.

Certainly the Note 8 will work for many and that's what Samsung is counting on. However, my needs require higher resolution.