Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #211
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Acoording to this resource, the Samsung players do not support WMAs through the Overdrive app.

Even though WMA is supported on some PMPs, for WMAs, you are still forced to connect your device to your computer, download the files excruciatingly slowly onto it. Once you listenened to it, you can not return the audiobook, like you can MP3s, but have to wait until the predetermined amount of days are over. During this time, that audiobook just sits in your Overdrive checked items list, preventing you from checking out one additional item. I hate it when audiobooks are only offered in WMA, therefore. With MP3s, I can listen to them directly through the (very awesome) app, and return them when I am finished.

Last edited by xendula; 11-21-2012 at 11:25 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #212
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
The Samsung site specs list WMA format as being a supported audio file type for the SGP5. Why should it be a "horrid user experience" to get it on that device?

Perhaps I am missing something?
Because WMA format is DRM'd via Microsoft and you have to download and unlock it with a Microsoft program on a Windows PC before transferring it. The Overdrive app on any device can only process and play mp3 audiobooks directly.

There are plenty of mp3 audiobooks though, and another option is the Audible app to play Audible's own format directly.

Last edited by Synamon; 11-21-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #213
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Just a couple of questions - is the font editing capability in the Mandano app? If not, how did you do it? I'd really like to be able to read comfortably. Also, what browser do you recommend using on the SGP5?

Yes, I'll get the TPU skin from Amazon that you suggest. I just got a hard shell case for a GPS/harddrive that's a bit big, but very sturdy, for 6euros (about $10), so that should protect it! I may buy the smaller sleeve case that you recommend as well.

I am trying to see if I can get the Samsung Diary case YA-C1C7N (white) YP-G70 from Amazon UK or Germany via a friend. It is quite expensive (plus shipping to Greece) but I like the book-open and stand features. I probably won't spend the money though - things aren't going so well in Greece these days

Thanks again for all your help!
No I use a Font Creator Program to add weight. Hubby was in a Typography class so he got his cheap. However XDA has a bold version of Nokia Pure and tons of fonts. APK packs are just zips so you can open them up and extract the font you want. It will work fine in Mantano's Font folder. You can use any font you want in Mantano. I just find fonts that have more weight work better for me in Mantano.

Let's see I have Opera Mini and Dolphin Mini installed but I do use the standard browser as well. Dolphin Mini is great for fooling a site that you are on a desktop so it's must for any Android Device. My prefer browser is Opera because I can sync my bookmarks and speed dial on many devices using Opera Link.

I read a whole book on it last night. I love my little device! My poor neglected Kindles.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #214
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
I also have a question about SGP: I need an mp3 player for overdrive audiobooks. Since I have linux desktop, it has to be able to log in, download and play audiobooks. I have never before used them. Can this player do all this in all formats offered?
You can use OverDrive Media Console App to download MP3 Audiobooks on the SGP series. It handles Epubs, PDF and MP3. There is no Android device that can handle WMA Audiobooks. Microsoft wont let it. I use my Sanza Clip Zip for those.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-21-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #215
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
The Samsung site specs list WMA format as being a supported audio file type for the SGP5. Why should it be a "horrid user experience" to get it on that device?

Perhaps I am missing something?
The overdrive app doesn't support WMA. Plus DRM issues. DRM free WMA plays fine.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #216
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Acoording to this resource, the Samsung players do not support WMAs through the Overdrive app.

Even though WMA is supported on some PMPs, for WMAs, you are still forced to connect your device to your computer, download the files excruciatingly slowly onto it. Once you listenened to it, you can not return the audiobook, like you can MP3s, but have to wait until the predetermined amount of days are over. During this time, that audiobook just sits in your Overdrive checked items list, preventing you from checking out one additional item. I hate it when audiobooks are only offered in WMA, therefore. With MP3s, I can listen to them directly through the (very awesome) app, and return them when I am finished.
I use my Sansa Clip Zip for WMA Audiobooks. They do not expire on the device so I can listen at my leisure and delete when I finally finish them.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #217
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
It's mentioned in another thread, but Staples has a $25 off coupon for Nooks and Kindles for today only, Nov 21. They are in the local papers, for those with Staples email list, and scans are floating around on Fatwallet and Slickdeals. It means no bothering with a gift card or BF crowds, and the amount is taken off before tax, which saves a bit more for me. The only exclusion is the Paperwhite (although Staples did have them in stock when I picked up a KF HD). Only drawback is 14-day return policy, versus 30 for Amazon.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #218
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoshka View Post
It's mentioned in another thread, but Staples has a $25 off coupon for Nooks and Kindles for today only, Nov 21. They are in the local papers, for those with Staples email list, and scans are floating around on Fatwallet and Slickdeals. It means no bothering with a gift card or BF crowds, and the amount is taken off before tax, which saves a bit more for me. The only exclusion is the Paperwhite (although Staples did have them in stock when I picked up a KF HD). Only drawback is 14-day return policy, versus 30 for Amazon.
I just sent my son to the store with the coupon in hand! Now, why in the world I need another KNTB I don't know! I have a Sony t1, Nook simple touch and a KNTB. But for the price, I just couldn't pass it up!
S
My hubby is gonna shoot me!!
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #219
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I just sent my son to the store with the coupon in hand! Now, why in the world I need another KNTB I don't know! I have a Sony t1, Nook simple touch and a KNTB. But for the price, I just couldn't pass it up!
S
My hubby is gonna shoot me!!
I wouldn't pass it up either if I had a Staples near me. I want a T2 but Hubby says no we will see how this plays out. I originally wanted a Paperwhite but they are not available anywhere.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #220
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Thanks for explaining the Overdrive-WMA issues. Fortunately, I'd use mp3 or Audible in any case. I realize that I have a learning curve for Andriod devices, but it'll be fun!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #221
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
My lists keeps changing on what to get. I just can't decide which one or even if I really need to add anything, and, if I do, do I really need it? decisions, decisions.

So far the for sure stuff:

Black Friday Wishlist

Clip Zips BB=($28) / mSD Cards 32GB BB=($18)/ ?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #222
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Also, in addition to epub, if you have a Kindle account, you can check out books through the Overdrive app and read them in the kindle app.
How do you do that?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #223
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
My lists keeps changing on what to get. I just can't decide which one or even if I really need to add anything, and, if I do, do I really need it? decisions, decisions.

So far the for sure stuff:

Black Friday Wishlist

Clip Zips BB=($28) / mSD Cards 32GB BB=($18)/ ?
Added to the list. Do you have a Costco nearby? Because the same card is $16 there. I'm hoping they'll be available online. I don't want to go out.

Anyone else want items added to the Black Friday Wishlist?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #224
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
... Dolphin Mini is great for fooling a site that you are on a desktop so it's must for any Android Device. ...
Thanks again for the info - last question (for now ) - why is it useful to fool a site into thinking you are using a desktop PC?

Very much appreciate your comments!

Anyone ever use the case: Samsung Diary case YA-C1C7N

Don't know if it is available in USA at this time.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #225
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Supermediastore has a 32GB microSD card (Patriot Class 4) for $12.99 -- after $8 MIR. They now charge shipping and tax (didn't use to), though, so I'm not sure it's really that good of a deal.

I use them a lot for other types of media. Good company.

Link
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote