Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
nicolash
nicolash began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Question Recipe without rss feed?

Hi!

There is a webpage (URL) that gets updated daily. There is no rss feed.

Basically I would like to write a recipe that grabs the contents of that single URL and formats it into an epub for me once a day.

My first approach, to just add the URL to the feeds variable gives me an epub with all the contents of the URL including its html tags - with no formatting at all.

I flipped through the API documentation but only found the 'use_embedded_content' variable, which might be the correct direction? However I feel being trapped by having the URL content interpreted as rss and not as "news content".

Any clue how to process webpages without the help of rss feeds?
Thank you!
nicolash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Steven630
Groupie
Steven630 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite2
So, you mean you want to download ONLY the starting page? (against using the page as TOC)
Steven630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You should be able to do this with instapaper. Just create accaount and add that url to your main feed. The existing recipe should do the rest.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
nicolash

Yes, that is the idea.
The single webpage contains all the contents (but no toc and neither a rss data).
Old 09-05-2012, 02:15 AM   #5
nicolash

Thank you kiklop74,

Using Instapaper works and brings the page as an epub to my reader.

However starting to learn how calibre recipes look like, I would like to go on and try to figure out how I could do processing of the page by myself - that way I might be able to insert special formatting or sectioning, maybe even a table of contents.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:29 AM   #6
yosivd
yosivd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yosivd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yosivd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yosivd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yosivd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yosivd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yosivd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yosivd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yosivd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yosivd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yosivd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
You should be able to do this with instapaper. Just create accaount and add that url to your main feed. The existing recipe should do the rest.
Had the same problem.
Thanks
yosivd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs300, kindle keyboard 3g
feed43 (feed for free) is pretty good.
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #8
nicolash

Idea for a direct methof of accessing an static URL?

Okay, thanks - the idea to create a rss feed by a service or even locally on my computer might work.

However, there must be a way to do it directly wih the recipes?
I did not have much time to dig into this forum. But maybe the BeautifulSoup might be something? Or is this used for handling after a rss feed helped to get to some content page?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #9
nicolash

The main issue I have with Instapaper is, that I have to visit the page manually each time I would like to get the actual copy. Without this step, I receive with every download the same content. So I guess feed43 is the better work-around for my problem. Will give feedback, after I put it to work.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #10
eroche
eroche began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader
Nicolash I was trying to do the same thing the other day. You can do what your asking using a basicnewsrecipe class and the parse_index function. The following should get you started
Spoiler:
from calibre.web.feeds.news import BasicNewsRecipe

class BBC(BasicNewsRecipe):
title = 'Latest Headlines, Business and Sport from RTE (Ireland)'
def parse_index(self):
url = 'http://www.bbc.com/'
feeds = []
articles = [({'title': 'BBC Web', 'url': url, 'description':'', 'date':''})]
feeds.append( ( 'BBC Website', articles ) )
return feeds

Basically all you need to do is inherit a BasicNewsRecipe class and then initialise a feeds variable with the correct paramaters, calibre does the rest
eroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #11
nicolash

Thanks, eroche!

Your code snippet really gets me started.

Almost everything I had to do to obtain the page as epub with proper formatting was to exchange the URL!

Will start playing around with this some more.