Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #31
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
My biggest requirement is for a faster browser. In particular when you exit a page it takes a few seconds so you hit the exit button again and now you're back two screens. Or it takes a few seconds to display the new screen. Considerably longer than running on my laptop anyhow.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #32
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Have you tried opera mobile? It is by far and away my favourite browser on android.

The "hit the exit button again" problem likely has little to do with the browser itself. Lack of screen responsiveness is likely due to either the whole tablet being underpowered and causing lag or hardware issues with the screen.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #33
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, I haven't tried Opera.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #34
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
So is it in the blackberry app store then or what? (need to know what to tell library patrons here) Thanks.

[edit]: Oh, and presumably you need the latest os update that lets you use android apps right? Is that released yet or still beta?
Playbook OS2 was released today so you can tell your Patrons that Overdrive is now available officially for the PlayBook.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #35
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:26 AM   #36
TonyToews
Evangelist

Just did a Google News search on 7" android tablets and a bunch are coming out soon.

1) Note that the Vox has a 1024x600 screen so that is an important criteria if you are looking for another tablet if you are frustrated by the Sleep Of Death.

2) another criteria is the ability to charge via a standard USB port so no proprietary charger is required. So what if it takes eight hours to charge while I'm sleeping.

3) My third criteria is dual core CPU so it's a bit faster and more responsive if multiple things are happening and browsing is a bit better.

4) Bluetooth so I can do more things with external devices. Not sure yet what but hey... Maybe convenient Skyping with a Bluetooth headset. <shrug> External keyboard?

5) Others may want cameras. Not a big deal for me.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #37
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
[/B]QUOTE=TonyToews;2039214]Just did a Google News search on 7" android tablets and a bunch are coming out soon.

1) Note that the Vox has a 1024x600 screen so that is an important criteria if you are looking for another tablet if you are frustrated by the Sleep Of Death.

2) another criteria is the ability to charge via a standard USB port so no proprietary charger is required. So what if it takes eight hours to charge while I'm sleeping.

3) My third criteria is dual core CPU so it's a bit faster and more responsive if multiple things are happening and browsing is a bit better.

4) Bluetooth so I can do more things with external devices. Not sure yet what but hey... Maybe convenient Skyping with a Bluetooth headset. <shrug> External keyboard?

5) Others may want cameras. Not a big deal for me.[/QUOTE]
I got myself a 10.1 Galaxy Tab as alternate to the Vox.. Several points to note about your expectations:
1) the screen is pretty much the same as the Vox's, quality-wise. Display is 1280 X 800 but my Vox looks just as good in my opinion.
2) port is once again proprietary! Looks like an iPad port but isn't the same. On the plus side, 3rd party accessories can be found quite easily and I have gotten a full "kit" with
spare cable, wall charger, car charger, leather case, screen protector, vinyl case, earphone-microphone, stylus for only $49.99 on Amazon.
3) same issues with slow browsing sometimes! Processor is a 1 Ghz dual-core Tegra so that can't be the reason... Certains sites appear to load slowly whether I am using any of 4 browsers (stock Android, Skyfire, Opera or Ninesky)
4) I have Bluetooth but that can be gotten around for the Vox by using wireless instead, lots of compact wireless keyboards and earphones available at good prices...
5) have a camera but don't find myself using it much. Usually use for screenshots and with an app, Vox does that too.
I still use my Vox a lot for reading/writing as it is much more convenient to hold. I use my Galaxy Tab more for video and definitely, when it comes to reading magazines, the Samsung bigger screen is tops.
So my conclusion would be this: why buy another 7" tablet to "replace" your Vox? It does a lot of stuff quite well even when compared with my Samsung which was more than twice the price. And really, it's considered a reader not a tablet! I would get a 10 inch tablet instead so that I could use it to do the things that a 7 inch screen doesn't do as well and then have the choice of which to use depending on the task.
I have no regrets with my Vox, I still use it a lot! Love my Samsung as well, but for different reasons.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #38
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
Sleep of death is an android problem, not a vox problem. If you are unlucky, you're non-vox replacement might also experience SOD. Just sayin...
Old 04-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #39
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
Sleep of death is an android problem, not a vox problem. If you are unlucky, you're non-vox replacement might also experience SOD. Just sayin...
Ohh, I wasn't aware of that.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #40
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
Just did a Google News search on 7" android tablets and a bunch are coming out soon.

5) Others may want cameras. Not a big deal for me.
Again, BlackBerry Playbook matches all your requirements: 7" 1024 600 screen, charges with any USB, dual core 1GHz CPU, Bluetooth works great all day to my BlackBerry Bold giving me 3G connectivity and a remote keyboard and trackpad, 5mpix rear and 3mpix front 1080p cameras. Old included Kobo app...

And it is QNX so no sleep of death... Though the March update fixed SOD on my Vox.

Too bad RIM may not make hardware for much longer. At least they're still cheap!
Old 04-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #41
markT4
Enthusiast
markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.

Device: none
there's also Samsung's 7-inch Galaxy Tab 2 $250. dual-core blue tooth, camerae and is probably the best looking tablet for under $300.
markT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #42
hpulley
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by markT4 View Post
there's also Samsung's 7-inch Galaxy Tab 2 $250. dual-core blue tooth, camerae and is probably the best looking tablet for under $300.
8GB flash expandable like the Vox, no HDMI like the Vox, front camera is cheap VGA res. Sounds like the price is the main feature, Vox and Fire competition for sure but 32GB PlayBook is the same price with more flash 32GB vs. 8GB, better cameras and HDMI so not as good for me yet.

Last edited by hpulley; 04-13-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #43
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Vox
I started using an Acer A100, no SOD, full android market (no rooting required) and honeycomb, with an upgrade to ICS planned for the next few weeks... In Canada they have it on special for $199 at staples now, here is the link:
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...dCode=WW&=&=&=
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #44
Odieman
Enthusiast
Odieman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
I independently arrived at the same conclusion as Danifunker, after having much frustration with my Vox (and many thanks to him for going above and beyond the call of duty).

Keith
Odieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #45
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
I started using an Acer A100, no SOD, full android market (no rooting required) and honeycomb, with an upgrade to ICS planned for the next few weeks... In Canada they have it on special for $199 at staples now, here is the link:
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...dCode=WW&=&=&=
The battery life of 5h looks rather abyssmal, but I rather wish I could afford it now... Oh, well.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 04-14-2012 at 12:00 AM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote