Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
da2zoe
Book Addict
da2zoe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color Rooted
Rooted Newbie...what is ADB and other questions

Sigh, I am so confused. I'm hoping I'm not the only one needing a few answers that may seem basic to others. I'm familiar with Android (have an unrooted Galaxy S Fascinate) but navigating things on the NC is pretty different.

I could really use a couple "dumbed down" explanations. I don't personally know anyone who can help me understand my great new rooted toy and I'm really trying to learn...

1. I keep seeing references to ADB in the forums. I found this link from nookdevs that looks very helpful if I should need it....but what is it for exactly? How do I know what commands to use?

2. Is there a way to close apps when in them without having to open Advanced Task Killer every time? I want to save my battery charge and not have things running in the background.

3. What is the "Superuser" App. There is one thing in there when I open it (Button Savior) but I've downloaded others...why aren't they there, too?

4. Is OI File Manager and Astro the same kind of app? I have both but I don't see the same content in OI under file hierarchy as in Astro. What's the difference? Recommendations?

5. Why does Astro have 2 of every picture file? File names start with ._file name and also just the name (these have the actual thumbnail by them).

6. I sideloaded Angry Birds (love that game). Do I need to worry about moving it?

7. There are some things I try to open or do but get a message saying I need Froyo 2.2 - is that something we can expect for the NC some day?

I realize that's a lot of information to ask in one post...thank you in advance.

Last edited by da2zoe; 02-26-2011 at 09:51 PM.
da2zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
1.- ADB is a tool to run commands on your device, and to get a shell to it. You can use it to install apps, modify files and such. There is not much use for ADB as most of the tasks you would do with it can be done with graphical tools, like Root Explorer.

2.- There is no need to close apps, that's how android works. Apps are left in memory as long as possible, so they load faster the next time. A task killer may even be detrimental, as it consumes CPU cycles to kill the app, plus the extra cycles to load it again later. Let android manage apps.

3.- It is an app that manages apps that request root access. Basically it prompts you to grant access and can remember your answer so the next time you are not prompted.

4.- I'm not familiar with OI, maybe one of the apps hides some files (those the user may not care about, like cache and app settings).

5.- Looks like thumbnails, for faster loading in the gallery.

6.- Moving it where? The SD? That's not supported in Eclair (2.1), Froyo introduced the "move to SD" option. As a rule of thumb, do not bother moving to the SD unless you are low on space, as apps will load faster from the internal memory.

7.- Yes, B&N mentioned they are working on it.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
da2zoe
Book Addict

Thank you for the information. That was helpful.

Quote:
6.- Moving it where? The SD? That's not supported in Eclair (2.1), Froyo introduced the "move to SD" option. As a rule of thumb, do not bother moving to the SD unless you are low on space, as apps will load faster from the internal memory.
I downloaded the apk for Angry Birds and it seems to work just fine. I put it on my SD card, so should I put it on the internal memory?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by da2zoe View Post

I downloaded the apk for Angry Birds and it seems to work just fine. I put it on my SD card, so should I put it on the internal memory?
The app wasn't installed to your SD card.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
da2zoe
Book Addict

Well, that makes sense. Thanks Scion. As I said, I'm totally new to all this.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
Starharp
Starharp began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by da2zoe View Post

How do you download the apk for Angry Birds? What is the apk anyway? I can't get Angry Birds to work on my newly rooted NC.
Starharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
Starharp

Looking for help!

Hi all! I've been combing these forums for the last few months for advice on rooting my NC (which I've finally done!) and now I'm looking for some advice to answer lingering questions. I'm sorry if they are repeat questions, and I hope that everyone will be patient with me. I have searched for answers and found some (Thanks for those!), but looking through the wealth of info can be overwhelming.

Anyway...I'm wondering about ADB. What is that? Why would I need it? (I did find the way to install it on the NC, just not sure WHY I would need to.)

Also, how do I get my Kindle books to refresh to the NC? I know how to refresh and it works on my Android phone, but not the NC.

How do I get apps to my home screen? The pressing and holding like on my phone doesn't seem to work.

Thanks so much to all!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
Read this article for starters:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/guide...oid-tablet.ars
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
Starharp

I've read the article. My NC is rooted using Autonooter 3.0 for version 1.1. I have Dolphin HD installed and the ADB wireless. I'm not understanding how I now use ADB wireless to say put Angry Birds on the NC, even though I found a link to download the AB apk to my laptop (and did that). (And I assume that the ADB wireless will help me "sideload" other things once I figure out what that is and how to do it). I see that the article says that Kindle books prefer to be stored on the SD card, so how do I tell the Kindle app to do that? And the article suggests using LauncherPro for changing the home screen. I gather that I need to change the home screen in order to get apps to show up on it, yes? Is LauncherPro available through the market? I found one there, but want to be sure I am downloading the correct thing.

I really am trying to understand and not be annoying by asking previously asked questions. I'm searching for answers and finding bits and pieces along the way.

Thanks again!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
Starharp

Okay...to update...I've figured out the Angry Birds issue and installed it successfully. Still don't know how to use ADB wireless though.

I installed Launcher Pro and now have apps on home screen. How can I rearrange them?

Still no success on getting rest of Kindle library access.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
reyluree
reyluree began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starharp View Post
Okay...to update...I've figured out the Angry Birds issue and installed it successfully. Still don't know how to use ADB wireless though.

I installed Launcher Pro and now have apps on home screen. How can I rearrange them?

Still no success on getting rest of Kindle library access.
I have had great success with ADB Wireless. On the Nook you will need to start ADB Wireless - it will then give you an IP address for connecting to the nook. On your PC open a command prompt window and use "adb connect xxx.xxx.x.xx:5555" command to connect wirelessly to your nook. The xxx.xxx.x.xx being the ip that ADB Wireless gave you earlier.

For example:

adb connect 192.168.1.24:5555

You can then use all adb commands, etc. as if you where connected via usb.

* note: if you haven't added the path to adb.exe in global path settings, you will need to open the command prompt wiindow in that folder.

As for the apps question - do you mean rearranging them on the screen or moving them to the launcher bar? Either way you should be able to move them by a long press on app. Then move them to wherever you want.
reyluree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #12
Starharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyluree View Post
For example:

adb connect 192.168.1.24:5555

You can then use all adb commands, etc. as if you where connected via usb.

* note: if you haven't added the path to adb.exe in global path settings, you will need to open the command prompt wiindow in that folder.

I finally figured out the moving the apps around the home screen. I wasn't pressing long enough. Duh...such stupid issues!

I opened a command prompt and typed the adb connect and entire number, but it doesn't seem to recognize it. I get a message telling me that "adb" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Also, I finally figured out that I had to go to the Kindle store and tell it to copy my books from my phone to my NC. Now all Kindle books are listed when I open the app! Yeah!

Thank you for your help! It's greatly appreciated!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #13
reyluree

Quote:
I opened a command prompt and typed the adb connect and entire number, but it doesn't seem to recognize it. I get a message telling me that "adb" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
You need to open the command prompt in the same folder that adb.exe resides.

For example on my PC it would be C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

I have this capability by right-clicking on that folder by adding "Open Command Window Here" to that context window ....

If you are using Vista you should be able to do it by holding down the Shift key when you right-click on a folder, you should then see the "Open Command Window Here" menu item. Or just "cd" to that folder.

FWIW: when sideloading apk files I usually just move that file to my nook sd download folder using windows explorer and then use Astro File Manager on my nook to install it. Much easier. Just select that file and follow prompt to install. Make sure you have "allow Non-Market Apps" checked in NookColor Tools first!

Last edited by reyluree; 03-02-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #14
Starharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyluree View Post
You need to open the command prompt in the same folder that adb.exe resides.

For example on my PC it would be C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

I have this capability by right-clicking on that folder by adding "Open Command Window Here" to that context window ....

If you are using Vista you should be able to do it by holding down the Shift key when you right-click on a folder, you should then see the "Open Command Window Here" menu item. Or just "cd" to that folder.

FWIW: when sideloading apk files I usually just move that file to my nook sd download folder using windows explorer and then use Astro File Manager on my nook to install it. Much easier. Just select that file and follow prompt to install. Make sure you have "allow Non-Market Apps" checked in NookColor Tools first!
AH HA! So I have to have ADB something installed on my PC too?! I just found something that said to download the adb wireless app and voila, so that's what I did. Where do I find what I need to install ADB on my PC?

So, if I sideload apk files with the sd and Astro File, do I even need the ADB thing? I used the sd and Astro File method to get Angry Birds on the NC.

Thank you!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #15
reyluree

Quote:
AH HA! So I have to have ADB something installed on my PC too?! I just found something that said to download the adb wireless app and voila, so that's what I did. Where do I find what I need to install ADB on my PC?

So, if I sideload apk files with the sd and Astro File, do I even need the ADB thing? I used the sd and Astro File method to get Angry Birds on the NC.

Thank you!
Here are instructions for installing ADB on PC: http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB

Honestly - I rarely use ADB, but I like having it there just in case. There have been a few tweaks that I have done that is just easier doing via ADB then trying to do it on the nook itself.

I also had problems getting ADB working via USB....But since you have ADB Wireless already on your nook you should be set once you get it installed on your PC.

A nice thing about sideloading apps via Astro File Manager - using the Dolphin browser - I have downloaded files on the nook itself and then just opened it there, bypassing the PC all together!

Last edited by reyluree; 03-02-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Tags
adb, astro, file manager