Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Astak announces 5 inch Pocket PRO for $199

Dear All:

Astak is announcing the EZ Reader "Pocket PRO" in 5 inch for around $199. It will be essentally the same device and the same great software as the EZ Reader 6 inch EXCEPT the Pocket PRO will have the Epson Controller!!

You already know that the Astak EZ Reader Basic in 6 inch has been the most reliable and trouble-free eBook Reader ever released in North America. See the other Astak thread for the reports from all those who purchased it. FRY's electronics claims it has far less returns than any other eBook Reader that they carry.

Now, this same reliability comes to a device that is 5 inch and weighs under 6 ounces. Only, we did not just match the EZ Reader... we made it better with the Epsin Controller (blazing page turns with no black screen)!! Plus you still get the best MP3 on the market (has an equalizer) AND it will be coming in colors: black, tan-white, slate blue, violet, lime green, and maroon brown.

And... Astak will sell for $199-$209!! Look for the www.goEZebook.com website (now under construction) for all the info!! OH, it includes a crush-resistant LEATHER case the others always forget.

Lastly, this is an ASTAK product... meaning the service and the shipping and the user manual and the tech support are all USA. Never a single complaint yet about Astak Customer Service!!

Release is about two months away (it takes time to make the color halves)and to port Adobe Digital Editions and Fictionwise eReader on it!!

Yes, it will come preloaded with at least twenty classic eBooks... not junk... great titles for the entire family!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ Reader Pocket PRO.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	30169   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ Reader Pocket PRO Leather Case.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	30170  
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
cheese bogart
Connoisseur
cheese bogart has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: prs-505 (Silver), Ipad
Robertb I'm guessing you didn't take the photos, but perhaps you could find a photo of the 5" reader next to your 6" reader. For those new to the ereader market that would like a comparision of the two.
cheese bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Nice price point (matches the Jetbook)

you mention no flash to black though, on my sonys and on the kindle, the page can have portions change withoug flashing to black, but it comes at a cost of bad dithering, the edges of the text are hard and not smooth, and are rarely even, and without the entire screen refresh you get that "looking through a page" effect where you can still make out what was on the page really bad.

theses new screens do better?
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
When will we be able to pre-order????
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
You already know that the Astak EZ Reader Basic in 6 inch has been the most reliable and trouble-free eBook Reader ever released in North America. See the other Astak thread for the reports from all those who purchased it. FRY's electronics claims it has far less returns than any other eBook Reader that they carry.
How long has the EX Reader Basic been out, exactly? Your own site calls it "New" ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
One word: w00t!

Looking forward to a slate blue Pocket Pro...
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Comparison Photo coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese bogart View Post
Robertb I'm guessing you didn't take the photos, but perhaps you could find a photo of the 5" reader next to your 6" reader. For those new to the ereader market that would like a comparision of the two.
Dear Cheese Bogart:

They have two samples on their way to me. As soon as they arrive I will do the picture comparing the EZ Reader Basic and the EZ Reader Pocket PRO side-by-side. That is a great idea! I just do not have the Pocket PRO in my hot hands yet.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
Robertb

New??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
How long has the EX Reader Basic been out, exactly? Your own site calls it "New" ....
Dear NatCh:

Depends, I guess, on how you look at it. Sorry, do not mean to hedge on this. We started selling the EZ Reader Basic about six months ago on our own website. If memory serves me, however, FRY's Electronics picked it up three months ago (they were the first retailer) and it really hit their stores about 9 weeks ago. SO... it is still pretty new and up-to-date. To the majority of the public it has been out two-three months.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
Robertb

Pre-ordering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
When will we be able to pre-order????
Dear Musicman:

I think about 4-6 weeks before we can do pre-ordering. I need to publish full and complete specs first and do a user manual in USA English and see the final color halves in actual colors. I do not want to have anyone pre-order without being absolutely aware of all the facts. Astak is different than the others... yes we want the sale... but only if you are happy with it after you get it.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
cheese bogart
Connoisseur
cheese bogart has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: prs-505 (Silver), Ipad
I just thought it would be good so that people who are interested in buying a device from you could get a rough idea of total size, not just screen size.

Also it might help if there was something else in the shot that could be used as reference for size (something pretty universal like a business card).
cheese bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
Robertb

Check on dithering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
Nice price point (matches the Jetbook)

you mention no flash to black though, on my sonys and on the kindle, the page can have portions change withoug flashing to black, but it comes at a cost of bad dithering, the edges of the text are hard and not smooth, and are rarely even, and without the entire screen refresh you get that "looking through a page" effect where you can still make out what was on the page really bad.

theses new screens do better?
Dear Andy:

Thank you for the comments!!

I will have to check when the first two samples arrive. Kindle uses Mobipocket which is not supposed to be all that fabulous. The Pocket PRO comes pre-ported with Adobe Digital Editions and can also have Fictionwise eReader format added.

I will tell you honestly in a post as soon as I can.

Last edited by Robertb; 06-01-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #12
Robertb

Great idea on point of reference like a business card!!
Old 06-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
I bought one of the first batch of EZ Readers before Christmas and I am going to buy one of the first batch of these!!!

Last edited by smithno; 06-01-2009 at 07:27 PM.
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #14
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Hi RobertB,

That's good news. To help us global (ie non-US shoppers) can you confirm the differences between your pocket pro and the bebook mini are:

- custom firmware: ie yours will handle BOTH epub and ereader
- custom colors
- crush resistant leather case
- possibly cheaper price ?? USD vs EURO ??
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Hey Robertb,

To be honest this morning I was pretty much settled on the sony prs-505 and was just waiting to purchase until I could get the blue one in canada. However this post has got me thinking all over again. The 5" pocket pro sounds like a very versatile reader. And if it's going to be a bit until I actually order a reader I think I am going to have to follow your updates more closely. I have only a few quick questions.
1. Will you ship to Canada? (most important)
2. Do you expect to be shipping units by August? (my wife has been hinting a reader may be my anniversary gift)
3. And do you know what file formats it will support yet? (sorry if this was stated but I didn't see it anywhere.)

Thanks again and I can't wait until you get your site up and running
Mike
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote