Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Chromebook Pro, Note 10 Lite
Problem with Epub Landscape Conversion?

I should start out by saying that I'm not sure if this a Calibre conversion issue, or a Sony Reader issue (as I only have Sony Readers to test with, the PRS-505 and PRS-T1).

There are some books on PDF where the block of text per page is too long to read in portrait mode, so I turn the ereader viewing mode to "landscape", so the page is broken up across two screens that I access through page turns.

Sometimes I have found that some PDFs are either too big or too complicated to be dealt with by the reader, so I convert the PDF to images, zip it up in CBZ format, and convert it to LRF format for reading on the ereader. With LRF format, the ebook works as expected, the text is nice and properly displayed as you would expect (no stairstepping, etc), and it functions correctly, with the page broken up across two screens.

If I try to convert the CBZ to epub however (for using with the newer PRS-T1 which doesn't support LRF), I get two different problems. The first is that the file is cropped way too far into the image, so some of the text is off screen. On the PRS-505, the page turn function works correctly at least, so I see the top half of the page, and then when I turn, I see the bottom half of the same page. On the PRS-T1, I can see the top half of the page, but then when I press the page turn button, it jumps to the top half of the next page! I can't get it to display the bottom half of the page (I don't know if it's because of the PRS-T1 or because there is an issue with the Epub file).

So the issues with CBZ to Epub landscape conversion are two: the image is cropped in too far and on the PRS-T1 the bottom half of the pages are not displayed.

I've included a sample CBZ file, as well as converted epub and lrf files, and the conversion logs for each in a zip file.

I'm using Calibre 0.8.61. The relevant settings I used for conversion:

Page Setup:
Output Profile: Sony Reader Landscape
Input Profile: Default Input Profile
Comic Input:
"Keep Aspect Ratio" box is checked
Output Format: PNG
No other boxes are checked.
Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: zip epub landscape conversion issues.zip (1.35 MB, 103 views)
dhume01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Malach
Malach began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I am having the same exact issue with my prs-t1. I tried various thing like manually edit the css and whatnot. Still haven't figured it out what is causing this
Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert