Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
QU2C371FcY
Enthusiast
QU2C371FcY began at the beginning.

Device: none
iPad or Android tablet for fb2 books?

My dad loves his kindle, and is never without it. He get's all his books in an FB2 format, converts them to text and then moves them over to the kindle. A few of his friends got an iPad, and he's considering getting it to replace his kindle.

My question is this. If he downloads his books in FB2 format, which reader would make it easiest for him to download and read those books? I know that both the iOS and Android have apps capable of reading FB2 books, but which tablet will be best for downloading the books? He would like to avoid having to sync the tablet to something like iTunes.

The three tablets I have in mind are iPad 2, Notion Ink Adam and Motorola Xoom.
QU2C371FcY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Neither. Only e-Ink devices
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
QU2C371FcY
Enthusiast

That's not really what I asked, is it?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Any reason why your dad sticks to that format? It's an old format and lacks of a lot of features.

Having said that and assuming those are pure text books (because the format) an eink device should be more than enough for that. They are usually lighter, give more battery life (weeks without recharging instead of hours) and even they are cheaper than tablets.

An iPad would be overkilling and unnecessary, in my humble opinion.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
QU2C371FcY
Enthusiast

The website he gets his books from are mainly in that format.

As I mentioned, he has a kindle already, and he really likes it. He wants a tablet because he would like to do more than read books on the device. I don't think kindle will have and HDMI out port anytime soon.

Maybe I would be better of asking my question in a specific iPad or Android forum.
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As far as I know, Apple iPad doesn't support FictionBook FB2. You need install additional app to read / open FictionBook FB2 files on your iPad. Not sure if that's possible at this moment because I don't have one.

Now, if you ask me about peripherals, iPad is not one of the best, they don't have USB ports, for example. There are other tablets which much more ports and way to get access. I do have a Galaxy Tab with full Android Market access. Downloading an app which supports that format and uploading via USB would be extremely easy, even downloading directly from Internet. My 2 cents.

I'm afraid I can't make additional comments on iPad because I don't own one.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
QU2C371FcY
Enthusiast

I've seen apps that can read FB2 books on the iPad, so I am not too worried about it.

The reason I specified that this is for my dad, is because I want something that's simple to use. Personally, I would never buy an iPad. I don't like how closed Apple's platform is.

A while ago, when I was buying an MP3 player for my mom, i chose an iPod over a much better iRiver player because of ease of use. I am using the same logic now.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline

QU,

I just found this: http://www.fbreader.org/FBReaderJ/android/screenshots/

I have not installed that on my Galaxy but if you have a free book FB2 book that you can give me ... I can install, upload and test. Maybe you can do something similar with an iPad user and then compare.

PM with your email and maybe I can help...
Old 01-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
QU2C371FcY
Enthusiast

Wow, thanks. Let's say you navigate to this page from you Galaxy Tab and try to download the book http://manybooks.net/titles/carrolll1903319033-8.html

Can you do it straight from the device? I know iPad doesn't really have a file manager, but what about Android?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by QU2C371FcY View Post
Wow, thanks. Let's say you navigate to this page from you Galaxy Tab and try to download the book http://manybooks.net/titles/carrolll1903319033-8.html

Can you do it straight from the device? I know iPad doesn't really have a file manager, but what about Android?

It works!

Actually, it gave me a warning initially: "you are about to download a link that we don't know for sure if will work on your device, etc" ... but maybe it was because I was using the mobile version of mobileread website. I ignore that and showed me the webpage of "Alicia in Wonderland". Then I look for the download button, select the format and that' s it. FBreader just open it like nothing.

Not sure yet, where inside Galaxy the book is, the folder name, need to check.

By the way, nice book!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
QU2C371FcY
Enthusiast

Awesome! Thank you for trying it out.

I've actually been dying to get a tablet myself for quite some time. At this point, I am holding out for the reviews on the Notion Ink or Motorola Xoom. Hopefully I'll have one soon.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline

yw

Give me some time (at work now) and I will use it tonight. I can compare with other readers apps that I already installed on my Galaxy Tab and tell you what features you have and what not. So far it was an easy process both sides: installing the reader app and downloading the book.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #13
QU2C371FcY
Enthusiast

Wonderful! I look forward to hearing back.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by QU2C371FcY View Post
Forgot to mention...

You certainly have a file manager in Android via Market: ASTRO. It is really good and free. Galaxy Tab comes with "My files" , but ASTRO is better: http://www.metago.net/astro/fm/
Old 01-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Yes Android has much more flexibility to do what you want on the device. It's easy to mange files on stock Andriod. I believe you can do the same on iOS but that requires you to jailbreak your device.

I don't know the price of the Xoom, but that is a device I have my eye on. It will run the latest version of the OS with a dual core processor.

If your father is downloading his books from manynet, they also provided "Mobi" format which is native to the Kindle. You do not have to convert anything. Tell your dad to point to http://mnybks.net/ (that is the mobile version of manybooks.net on his kindle and he can download the books directly from the internet to his K3.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote