Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
familyhandh
familyhandh began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Which is the best ereader to read PDF ?

_ I have a lot of PDF book, which is the best ereader to read PDF ( handling, reflow...). Thanks a lot!
familyhandh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
alisaad619
alisaad619 began at the beginning.

Device: none
amazon kindle dx
alisaad619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
Cool

Kindle DX Graphite or iPAD. First is better outdoor, second - indoor.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
There isn't a "best reader" for PDFs, because how well PDFs read depends on how they were made much more than the reader's software.

PDFs that were designed to be printed on letter/A4 paper are not going to convert well to a tiny screen; all the reflow and zoom options are workarounds. (That said, some devices do better with them than others. There are certainly *worse* PDF readers; there just aren't any that are great.)

The DX and iPad do best with them solely because they have larger screens. Neither has great functionality for PDFs--the Kindle can't search them or annotate them; the iPad is limited to 3rd-party apps that aren't compatible with its iBooks abilities.

What kind of PDF books do you have the most of; what kind of reading do you need to do with them? Some kinds convert well with Calibre and the whole issue of "best PDF reader" can be bypassed.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
the iPad is limited to 3rd-party apps that aren't compatible with its iBooks abilities.
Actually iBooks (first party) does display PDFs. But not with all of iBooks abilities available to ePubs (the most vexing one for me-setting the left margin tap as page forward isn't available..grrr)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #6
kafin8
kafin8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
There is the enTourage eDGe however it's a dual screen and more notebook size than a Kindle DX. Feel your pain want a DX myself just waiting till the PDF handling is improved. I have a lot of technical books & research report PDF's to read for work so would buy a DX with improved PDF handling in a second.
kafin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
kba
kba began at the beginning.

Same here.. most of the PDF files I read are based on textual sources (not scanned images put together).. like a MS Word or latex file was converted to PDF (might have some images/figures), such as technical articles

It would be nice if the PDF reader could reflow the text, and zooming in is not like zooming into an image where you have to pan around to continue reading.

I would not mind converting the pdf file to epub if it would work this way in the reader.

searching and annotating would be a great plus
kba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:54 AM   #8
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kba View Post
Same here.. most of the PDF files I read are based on textual sources (not scanned images put together).. like a MS Word or latex file was converted to PDF (might have some images/figures), such as technical articles

It would be nice if the PDF reader could reflow the text, and zooming in is not like zooming into an image where you have to pan around to continue reading.

I would not mind converting the pdf file to epub if it would work this way in the reader.

searching and annotating would be a great plus
I understand that some readers can reflow, but many PDFs are not reflowable (is that a word? well, it is now ).

Don't get me started on software publishers who not only refuse to include a paper manual in the box, but keep producing their PDF manuals as if they were going to be read in print. At least they could make PDFs decently formatted for on-screen viewing, with a table of content and links.

Anyway, I will keep an eye on the future Pocketbook 90*, when and if they become available. A Pocketbook representative said on the French forum that PBs have a functionality that helps with reading two-column text on PDFs. Has anybody tested that yet?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:26 AM   #9
kba
kba began at the beginning.

I saw this:
http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/prs-900-pdf.html

So maybe the Sony is a good choice? The best deal I can find for this is $240.. at that price almost makes me think to get an iPad.. didnt want to have to spend that much but technical PDFs will be primarily what I read.
kba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:37 AM   #10
WebDesignEbooks
WebDesignEbooks began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
I have some old PDFs I loaded to my Sony PRS-300 that were created before and after ebook readers were available. I read read them but some definately don't render well in the reader. As Elfwreck pointed out, when they were made to be read on screen or printed the oringinal formatting messes things up.
WebDesignEbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #11
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Sony PRS-900 does a really good job out of PDF reflow. It also supports ToC (which Kindle DX doesn't).
However, it terms of viewing quality, the new Kindle DX is the go.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
I believe at first you need a big screen.
At least bigger than the usual 5",6" or 7" readers.
Second the PDF reader software on that reader need to be good.

Kindle DXG, PocketBook 902/903 or one of the upcomming 9-10" devices shown at IFA Berlin should do the trick.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #13
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
PRS-900 is indeed great for PDF reflow. It also supports ToC, which is great for navigation in reference materials.
However, in terms of screen quality, the new Kindle DX is better.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #14
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
I believe at first you need a big screen.
At least bigger than the usual 5",6" or 7" readers.
Second the PDF reader software on that reader need to be good.

Kindle DXG, PocketBook 902/903 or one of the upcomming 9-10" devices shown at IFA Berlin should do the trick.
I agree about the screen size, however from what I have read here, at the moment Kindle DX doesn't support links in PDFs. No table of content, no links inside the text. That's a serious handicap IMO. Maybe the PocketBooks will be better, we'll have to wait and see.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The best large-screen device currently available for reading PDFs is probably the Apple iPad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote