Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
New Human Species

Not sure where to post this as there is not "science" section and it's certainly not news about ebook readers.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...IES25_ST_N.htm

"A 40,000-year-old child's pinky bone found in a Siberian cave probably belonged to a previously unknown human species living near modern humans of the era, a gene study reports today."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8583254.stm
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Reminds me of the GEICO Cavemen. Interesting article.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
child's pinky bone

This is SO tiny! To base an entire new species on? Before DNA analysis this bone would probably have been totally overlooked.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Unless not:

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/reviews/...ause-2010.html
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Amazing!! How do find a 40,000 year old pinky bone in a cave and not think it is just a rock?!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Amazing!! How do find a 40,000 year old pinky bone in a cave and not think it is just a rock?!
You can tell something is bone when you bite it.

I heard this on NPR this morning. I won't comment on the discovery, but I will say that I almost swooned when NPR host said "Neandertal" not "Neanderthal"
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
Reminds me of the GEICO Cavemen. Interesting article.

Unbelievable!!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
You can tell something is bone when you bite it.

I heard this on NPR this morning. I won't comment on the discovery, but I will say that I almost swooned when NPR host said "Neandertal" not "Neanderthal"
I hate it when they do that! What drives me crazy is all the variety of pronunciations of al qaeda!!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I hate it when they do that! What drives me crazy is all the variety of pronunciations of al qaeda!!
Neandertal is the correct pronunciation, FYI.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
This is SO tiny! To base an entire new species on? Before DNA analysis this bone would probably have been totally overlooked.
I believe there was DNA analysis already which is what brought this out. I'll have to check though. It was published in Nature.

Here's the Nature "News" article:

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/1003...l/464472a.html
Old 03-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Neandertal is the correct pronunciation, FYI.
Ah, yes I think I've heard that but virtually everyone pronounces it ..."thal"
Old 03-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
particularly a CHILD's pinky!

Amazing.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

then they should spell it how it sounds.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
then they should spell it how it sounds.
I'm with ya there, man!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #15
happy_terd
Banned

I am serious dude. I am tired of all the stupid silent D's in this world. I JUST HATE THEM!!!