Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #76
strangeseraph
Connoisseur
strangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Wonder what the likelihood of this ever coming to Canada is gonna be?

Personally I wouldn't mind having an 'offline' Kindle without the Whispernet stuff that I need to connect to my laptop with USB, just release the darn thing in my country! Pfah!
strangeseraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #77
caplanjr
caplanjr
caplanjr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Delivery to the mid Atlantic area was wonderful

Although my scheduled delivery date was March 6th, I actually received mine last Thursday! And considering I used the free delivery option, I'm pretty impressed. I love the style and the feel of the device. I've been explaining it to my friends as an iPod for books and I think the designers were highly influenced by that image.

My first read is Neil Stephenson's Snow Crash, somewhat in the cyberpunk genre, and it's the perfect first read for the Kindle. Being new to the ebook experience, the Kindle added to the futuristic vibe of the piece. If there are other SF fans in this audience and you haven't read Stephenson, I highly recommend him.
Hello to all,
caplanjr
caplanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #78
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
and I thought apple users were the only ones posting and watching unpacking pics

Congrats to the happy owners.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #79
DawnLeeOwens
Enthusiast
DawnLeeOwens began at the beginning.

Woo Hooo, it was shipped arriving Wed... Still caught up on downloading library ebooks. I read the posts/documents (THANK YOU) but am still a little confused. Do you folks know how to find libraries that have good ebook options?? I AM SOOOO EXCITED.. One more question. Thoughts about the extended warranty?? One more question....does the light come in handy?? I saw a cool one at BrookStone, but held off.
DawnLeeOwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #80
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnLeeOwens View Post
Woo Hooo, it was shipped arriving Wed... Still caught up on downloading library ebooks. I read the posts/documents (THANK YOU) but am still a little confused. Do you folks know how to find libraries that have good ebook options?? I AM SOOOO EXCITED.. One more question. Thoughts about the extended warranty??
Check out the EBook Lending Libraries wiki page.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #81
DawnLeeOwens
Enthusiast

thank you sooo much.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:48 AM   #82
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I bought a light when I got my K1 and used it quite a lot at first. But as I got used to it, I actually stopped using it much at all.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #83
DawnLeeOwens
Enthusiast

I am losing my excitement.... Looks like one more day, here tomorrow. I purchased two books so far..... Can someone share more exciting stories..... Pretty Please... Your favorite feature of the K2 maybe...
Old 03-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #84
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
I am losing my excitement.... Looks like one more day, here tomorrow. I purchased two books so far..... Can someone share more exciting stories..... Pretty Please... Your favorite feature of the K2 maybe...
Free books are my favorite feature so far. I admit, some of them are... ahem... liberated from other sources. But I have also made several legitimate purchase, and also downloaded quite a few legitimately free books. Went over the www.webscription.net and downloaded all the free Baen Book sci-fi novels... then gloated to my brother that I had _1632_ free on my Kindle, whereas he had to buy the copy he was reading at Christmas.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #85
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Have you been browsing Amazon for the free books available there? You can spend your wait time telling them to "download to my kindle" and when you first turn it on, in a minute or three, they will! I just finished a book that was free last June (no longer, so I won't bother with the title) and found it really *great*! I've got a new series to follow now!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #86
DawnLeeOwens
Enthusiast

Thanks folks....yes I looked at Amazon...I was wondering if I load books now, does my K2 light up in some post office, lonely, with a new book without me?? (SMILE) Ithink I am getting scraed that I am going to miss my bookmark and paper... How did you make out?? What is the best sort for Amazon Kindle category that you recommend? Publish Date....Low to High... I am still confused on this downloading the free/library books. My library site was confusing. I also looked at the wiki library link. What time did yours arrive AM or PM?? Any regrets??
Old 03-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #87
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My kindle was shipped with the slow, free shipping option. They sent it via FedEx-USPS, something I hadn't heard of before. There was a FedEx number I could use for tracking, and then it was delivered to my local post office. USPS delivered it the last leg of the trip, and they just stuck it in my (locked) mailbox. No signature required that way.

I keep my Kindle sorted in "latest on top" order. That way the last few that I opened and closed stay on top.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #88
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I have had my K2 for almost a full week now and I have to say that it is a joy to read on. I have finished two books (UR and World War Z) and am 1/3 the way through the third (Mage-Guard of Hamor).

I have several classics that were free from Amazon lined up next.

I plan on starting KA... a twelve step program to fight the addiction.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #89
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Fight the addiction??! Never! We dive into; gladly succumb to; giddily enjoy the book addiction around here!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #90
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
I have had my K2 for almost a full week now and I have to say that it is a joy to read on. I have finished two books (UR and World War Z) and am 1/3 the way through the third (Mage-Guard of Hamor).

I have several classics that were free from Amazon lined up next.

I plan on starting KA... a twelve step program to fight the addiction.

Don't even bother trying. It does no good.........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote