Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-25-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
half a glass

Hooray! My NAEB CyBook arrived at 12:25 pm today. It charged for 5 hours in the charger. After the charge was completed I put in the SD card that Bookeen sent and tried connecting the CyBook to my computer. My computer recognized new hardware and added a drive, but neither the Cybook icon nor the SD icon showed up. I tried it on my husband’s laptop which recognizes the Cybook. I can load up to 50 books on the Cybook itself (I had collected 178 in preparation for transfer), but the laptop does not recognize the SD. Having read about the SD problems, I bought and tried a 2 GB Scandisk SD, but had no luck seeing it on either computer. I am sure each SD card was fully inserted, because it was a b***h trying to get them out. I tried connecting through different ports. Still neither SD card is recognized in the MY Computer window, but the laptop icon for Unplug or eject hardware oens a window that recognizes the SD card to eject. I just can not open the card to load it! aggghHH!
What else can I try?

Susan
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
If the Cybook recognizes the SD cards, nice option would be a cheap USB SD card reader. You could connect it to laptop and/or your computer, and then if you wanted to update books you wouldn't have to connect Cybook to any computer at all. Connecting it seems risky to me after all I read here about filesystem problems inside Cybook, and you don't need to keep books on Cybook itself with so much storage room on the cards.

Still, first you'd need to make sure Cybook does recognize books on card. Maybe the one broken thing is it's SD card reader and that's where all the problems originate.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
SUSGOD
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
If the Cybook recognizes the SD cards, nice option would be a cheap USB SD card reader. -snip-
I have a Sony Multi-Card Reader/Writer MR-W62E. The CF reader works, but I discovered today that the SD doesn't. No SD card is recognized by the reader. I tried 3 different working SD cards. A computer prompt says please insert a disk into drive F. I have left a message with the Sony on-line Customer Service. If I can fix the Multi-Card Reader/Writer, I'll be able to do that. But I would like the Cybook SD drive to work right.

Susan
Old 02-26-2008, 02:43 AM   #4
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I had the same problem with one of my SD cards. I solved it bij connecting the Cybook without the SD card to the computer. I waited till the Cybook was recognised, and only then I inserted the SD card. Suddenly it was recognised and from that moment on there was no problem anymore. I could leave the SD card in its slot and it workt without a hitch.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:10 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not all USB ports are the same. We've had reports before that some ports just won't recognise the Gen3, while other ports on the same machine will.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2008, 05:26 AM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSGOD View Post
I am sure each SD card was fully inserted, because it was a b***h trying to get them out.
What flummoxed me initially was not realising the SD card goes in backwards (i.e. logo side towards the rear of the Cybook).
Just wondering if the difficulty extracting it may have been because it was in the wrong way round, mine pops out quite easily.
(99% sure this won't be the reason, but thought I'd suggest it just in case.)
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
kati42
kati42 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
What flummoxed me initially was not realising the SD card goes in backwards (i.e. logo side towards the rear of the Cybook).
Just wondering if the difficulty extracting it may have been because it was in the wrong way round, mine pops out quite easily.
Right - normally you would "push in" an SD and it pops out easily due to the release mechanism. Not sure how it is on the Bookeen, but just about every other device I own that uses SD is that way (camera, media player, laptop, Sony 505, etc.
kati42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
My computer recognizes my SD card fine when I connect my Cybook to it, but I prefer to copy things directly to the SD card (My computer has an SD card slot in it). Ever since I stopped syncing books to the Cybook's SD card, I have not encountered the bookmarking issue (discussed in another thread here). It's also just easier and faster for me to copy stuff directly to an SD card.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I had a similar problem with my Cybook, but switching to a different USB port solved the problem. It wasn't that the USB port was broken, the Cybook just didn't like it.

Now I just pop out the SD card and put it in the card reader (my computer has a built-in card reader) to edit my library. Much easier.

Last edited by MaggieScratch; 02-26-2008 at 12:22 PM.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #10
SUSGOD
Connoisseur

Unformatted SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Thank you. That was one mistake I made. I have now inserted the SD upside down with the logo facing the back of the cybook and the e-drive now recognizes the ScanDisk SD. The SD fits flush with the edge of the Cybook instead of sticking out. The laptop said the disk was unformatted, but when I agreed to format it, the next pop-up said the disk cannot be formatted. The useless disk came out easily. The same thing was repeated on the disk the came from Bookeen.

Both SD disks are now recognized by the Computer, but I do not understand why the are both unformatted and unformatable. At least it explains why my Sony Multi-Card Reader/Writer MR-W62E could not read either SD card.

Susan
Old 02-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #11
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
You can use a USB card reader and format the cards in your computer. Have you tried that?
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #12
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
All SD cards I have have a small switch in the side of the card. When put in one position, it makes the card read-only, when put in the other, card is read-write. Maybe switches on your SD cards are in read-only position, so nothing can be written on the cards?
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #13
SUSGOD
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
All SD cards I have have a small switch in the side of the card. When put in one position, it makes the card read-only, when put in the other, card is read-write. Maybe switches on your SD cards are in read-only position, so nothing can be written on the cards?
I did think of that and changed the switches on both brands of SD from top to bottom. The laptop said each disk was unformatted, but when I agreed to format it, the next pop-up said each disk was write protected.

Bookeen has promptly replied to my e-mail of yesterday:
"Dear Customer,

Please try to:
- Format the SD card in FAT32 from a computer with an SD slot (the Cybook does not yet propose to format the card).
- Copy some files (for instance, TXT files under the “/eBooks” folder) to the card.
- Insert the card into the Cybook. You should get an SD icon in the bottom right corner of the “Library”.
- Open the newly copied files to check that the card is correctly recognized by the Cybook.
- Plug the Cybook via USB."
Unfortunately neither of my computers has a direct SD slot and my Sony Multi-Card Reader/Writer MR-W62E will not recognize the SD cards. I'll check if any of my friends have a direct SD slot.

Yesterday I had e-mailed SONY about the Multi-Card Reader/Writer not recognizing the SD cards and I just received an e-mail response from Microsoft Online Customer Service with links that informed me that E-Mail Suport Cost: $99.00 US per support request and Phone Support Cost:$259.00. Is that weird? I never expected Microsoft respond to a request I made of Sony?

At least I was able to load books directly on to my CyBook! My husband & I are leaving for a trip to Arizona, so I will not be able to work on this until I get back next week. I will just enjoy my Cybook while traveling. Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

Susan
Old 03-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #14
SUSGOD
Connoisseur

broken SD slot

Upon my return from a trip to AZ, I was able to load the SD cards on a friend’s computer. There was really nothing wrong with either the card Bookeen sent or the Scandisk card I bought. They did not need to be re-formatted. The SD recognition problem must be with my computer.

When I tried to insert the loaded SD card in my Cybook with the label facing the back of the device, it immediately popped out. I checked the little plastic lock switch and inserted the card again. It still popped out. Same with the Scandisk card. I can't get either card to stay in the machine. There is a problem with the Cybook SD slot. I will need a functioning SD slot to load future firmware.

I contacted Bookeen who promptly responded:
"the SD slot of your Cybook might be broken.
Broken parts are not covered by the warranty; if you wish, we can handle a repair. This operation costs 70€ (includes parts and labor) + shipping."
xe.com's currency converter changes 70 Euros to $107.615 USD.

Susan
Old 03-06-2008, 11:13 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did the SD card slot come broken? if so, theres no way you should have to pay for a repair that is not your fault.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote