Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
RobinD42
RobinD42 began at the beginning.

Device: Android Phone
Question No HTML tags in description metadata?

Is there a way to prevent the comments/description editor in the metadata dialog from using html tags? Even if I go to the "HTML Source" tab and delete them the editor still wraps the text with <p>...</p> tags. The ebook reader app I'm using gets confused by this and displays just the first "<" and although other ebook readers don't get as confused, they also don't render the text as html so they display the tags as-is. Highly annoying.

Having an option to use only a plain-text editor widget there would be very welcome.

Robin
RobinD42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD42 View Post
Is there a way to prevent the comments/description editor in the metadata dialog from using html tags?
Yes, but first you can easily remove formatting in the edit metadata window by clicking in the comment section, select all (ctrl a), click on the recycling symbol to remove all formatting.

To prevent comments from starting as html go to Preferences - Plugins - Metadata download plugins customize the Amazon plugin and check the Convert comments downloaded from Amazon to plain text box.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
RobinD42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Yes, but first you can easily remove formatting in the edit metadata window by clicking in the comment section, select all (ctrl a), click on the recycling symbol to remove all formatting.
Yes, I had tried that before. It still wraps the text in paragraph tags no matter what I do. And if there are hard-returns in the text then they are saved as <br> tags, not an actual newline character. So although it may look like plain text with the formatting tags removed, it is still an HTML fragment. I'm on a Mac if that makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
To prevent comments from starting as html go to Preferences - Plugins - Metadata download plugins customize the Amazon plugin and check the Convert comments downloaded from Amazon to plain text box.
Thanks I hadn't seen that option, but it still doesn't remove all html tags. True there aren't any text formatting tags in the downloaded text, but there are still some <p> and <div> tags in the text that gets saved to the metadata file.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
RobinD42

Quote:
I'm on a Mac if that makes a difference.
Nope, the Windows version of Calibre has the same issues.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks I hadn't seen that option, but it still doesn't remove all html tags. True there aren't any text formatting tags in the downloaded text, but there are still some <p> and <div> tags in the text that gets saved to the metadata file.
I'm curious, what format are the books you're creating? What reader are you using?
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
RobinD42

EPUB and Moon+ Reader on Android.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
EPUB and Moon+ Reader on Android.
This is confusing to me, ePub is a html based format why is your reader tripping on simple html? I would be submitting a ticket with the creators of Moon+.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
RobinD42

I think mainly because it is simply not expecting html in the description text because the professionally made EPUBs I've seen (downloaded from places like feedbooks, etc.) all seem to have plain text with no html tags. For example in the attached screenshot the first book shown is one I converted with Calibre and does have a description that is not shown, (except for the leading <), and the second was downloaded from feedbooks. Other android readers I've tried also do not seem to expect html tags in the description text and simply display the raw text with the tags visible.

But I am talking with the developer about another issue so I'll bring this up too. But like I said, it's not just this one application, but at least a few of the more common ones that I've experimented with.

Edit: I've added an additional screenshot from a different book reader.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_1.png
Views:	310
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	67089   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_4.png
Views:	347
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	67091  

Last edited by RobinD42; 02-21-2011 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Additional screenshot
Old 02-22-2011, 02:23 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Interesting - the epub spec says that the field contains xhtml, so if it is not being handled correctly that is definitely a fault in the reader.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:11 AM   #10
RobinD42

Okay, thanks. I was just wondering if the spec said anything about it one way or the other. It's less important for me now, but I think it would still be nice to have some way to either be able to remove all html tags from the description text, or to edit it as plain text to begin with.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:33 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I must admit I would not mind the option to have plain text rather than html, but I think Kovid has already said that he has no plans to revert to that option.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can customize the amazon metadata download plugin to auto convert the html to txt.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote