Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Exclamation update your 3.0.2 kindle to 3.4 (Serial number prefix "B006")

Sadly it would seem the info on The amazon support site is in fact wrong.

it states

Quote:
Versions prior to 3.1 (3.0.3, 3.0.2, 3.0.1, or 3.0), install 3.1, then 3.3, and then install 3.4.
but in fact installing the Update_kindle_3.1_B006.bin will report a version of 3.3 when installed, not 3.1. ?? I have tested this twice.
Both times: same result.

Additionally, (sometimes - somewhat annoyingly) the 3.4 update pushes down automagically and this can happen quite quickly so be ready for that too...

The 3.4 update takes seemingly forever to install but does in the end finish okay.

So to recap: "Your serial number starts with "B006"
(I didn't test any others)

Grab the 3.1 update.
Then the 3.4. (assuming you don't get auto-served it)

HTH
Bit confusing being a double update.
and completely undocumented as such.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by post2000
and that was post 2000 for me

twobob Buildroot cowboy ye hah

If you are just reflashing:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004 JB + USBNET then:
reinstall Launchpad https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97636

Last edited by twobob; 10-24-2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: links for reflashers
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Err, what :?

Code:
Update_kindle_3.1_B006/Update_515460094-558700031
Code:
Update_kindle_3.3_B006/Update_525120101-611680021
Looks sound to me (The 3.3 update actually needs at least 3.0.something!=0, not necessarily 3.1), and the files haven't been touched.

You sure you don't have a hack messing around with the prettyversion.txt file? (Or that Amazon just slipped you the 3.3 update OTA?)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-24-2012 at 01:37 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Others have also reported that after updating from 3.0.2 to 3.1, the 3.3 update fails but the 3.4 update works.

But now you can download and flash 3.4 with jailbreak and developer keys pre-installed (see the simple debricking pastebin). So no more of this weird multiple update funny business.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well...

Code:
Update_kindle_3.4_B006/611680021-1725970040
And those matches the min/target OTA level field in the headers, so, nope, you wouldn't even be able to click the 'UYK' link for the 3.4 update if the host isn't running 3.3.

(That's for the manually downloaded updates, of course. The ones downloaded OTA are usually more specific, tailored to match the device they're being pushed to).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-24-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Well...

Code:
Update_kindle_3.4_B006/611680021-1725970040
And those matches the min/target OTA level field in the headers, so, nope, you wouldn't even be able to see the 'UYK' link for the 3.4 update if the host isn't running 3.3.

(That's for the manually downloaded updates, of course. The ones downloaded OTA are usually more specific, tailored to match the device they're being pushed to).
Perhaps the 3.1 update actually updates to 3.3? I did not test this, but this behavior has been reported by two users now...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

For the manual one, not on its own, no. Now, if the wireless happens to be on, all bets are off though .

3.0: 515460094
3.1: 558700031
3.3: 611680021
3.4: 1725970040
Old 10-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well. I swear, because this time I was expecting it and made damn sure I only copied across the one file.

(from the D/L amazons site here... http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmware...e_3.1_B006.bin)

That is what happened. For 100% certain. Thought last time maybe possibly mistaken.
(I did mention it) but now I am absolutely adamant.

: ) oddness! {ʇlnɐɟ uoıʇɐʇuǝɯƃǝs} hehehe
Old 10-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
twobob

Quote:
For the manual one, not on its own, no. Now, if the wireless happens to be on, all bets are off though .

3.0: 515460094
3.1: 558700031
3.3: 611680021
3.4: 1725970040
I have to imagine that you are right? that somehow the 3.1 is getting "slipstreamed"

but mate: There was only one reset... how can that be?
put file on 3.0.x
do single update with single reset.
instantly go to version in settings (I did this) read off 3.3 ??

anyways. gawd only knows. but I swear by my left pinky toe it's the truth.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Perhaps the 3.1 update actually updates to 3.3? I did not test this, but this behavior has been reported by two users now...
^ this
Old 10-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Something messed with prettyversion.txt? Don't trust the human readable output, trust the OTA level. Check the logs, there's a version check printed out somewhere during startup (and before/after ota updates).
Old 10-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
twobob

Quote:
Something messed with prettyversion.txt? Don't trust the human readable output, trust the OTA level. Check the logs, there's a version check printed out somewhere during startup (and before/after ota updates).

well its gone now. next brick I will test it again.

But since we can now recover to a 3.4, perhaps it is moot.

Tags
amazon, errata, foof, kindle keyboard, update