Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
rayh
rayh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle latest Generation
Collections with K3

Hi All,

We just received our 2 new K3 machines & both work great. The only problem is after putting on a few punblic domain books in Mobi format I would like to put them in collections. However on both K3s collections is greyed out. HELP?? How do I access the collections system?

Ray
rayh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
You need to create a collection first. From the home screen press the Menu button and then select Create New Collection.

You can then go into the collection and add your books to it.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, rayh

This information is also in section 2.2 of the "Kindle Users Guide" already downloaded to your K3's.

Here is a link to view it on your computer.....

http://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kindl...de_English.pdf

This page has lots of great information also.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200127470

Last edited by desertgrandma; 09-18-2010 at 12:28 AM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
rayh

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
You need to create a collection first. From the home screen press the Menu button and then select Create New Collection.

You can then go into the collection and add your books to it.
Maybe I didn't make myself very clear. I know I have to make a new collection first, the problem is that I can't as the Create New Collection menu item is greyed out & can't be accessed. I hope this is not because the books were not bought from Amazon.

Ray
Old 09-18-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayh View Post
Maybe I didn't make myself very clear. I know I have to make a new collection first, the problem is that I can't as the Create New Collection menu item is greyed out & can't be accessed. I hope this is not because the books were not bought from Amazon.

Ray
Well, I got my K3 and I was able to load ebooks that I haven't downloaded from Amazon. And the create new collection is not gray too. Maybe you should call Amazon CS about that.
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:54 AM   #6
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Is your Kindle registered to an amazon account? It has to be registered for collections to work.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:36 AM   #7
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
yes, you have to switch on wireless and sync once to your amazon account to get the option
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:39 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
Welcome to the MobileRead.
As far as you are problem you should call Amazon CS .
There's absolutely no need to call customer services. If you can't create collections it's because your Kindle is not registered.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:36 AM   #9
rayh

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Is your Kindle registered to an amazon account? It has to be registered for collections to work.
Thanks for that, my kindle isn't registrered as I haven't got wifi at the moment. Will register when available.

Ray
Old 09-29-2010, 01:40 AM   #10
pietro99
Connoisseur
pietro99 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
I live in the country and don't have access to wi-fi. Is there a way to register via the PC? I also wish to make collections.

BTW my Amazon account says my Kindle is registered to me, but the settings on the Kindle itself don't have my name there. Presumably that's because I haven't synched them.
pietro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietro99 View Post
I live in the country and don't have access to wi-fi. Is there a way to register via the PC? I also wish to make collections.

BTW my Amazon account says my Kindle is registered to me, but the settings on the Kindle itself don't have my name there. Presumably that's because I haven't synched them.
I believe you do need to have a wifi connection to register. Take a trip to your nearest McDonalds or Starbucks (or Barnes & Noble?), many cafés offer free wifi, or visit a friend with a wifi home network.

AT&T Wi-fi Locations

(these are supposed to be free access points, SSID="attwifi" - haven't had a chance to try any yet)
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #12
pietro99
Connoisseur
pietro99 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
I did manage to find a wifi connection and this solved the problem. Thanks.
pietro99 is offline   Reply With Quote