Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #16
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
You left off the closing parenthesis in your @font-face definition, so the css doesn't parse. I noticed that in your post above, but thought you'd just failed to copy it over for the post. Also, you've added numbers to the end of the names of the font files that need to be removed.
So replace your font-face definitions with
Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: "Times New Roman";
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(../Fonts/Times New Roman Regular.ttf);
}

@font-face {
  font-weight: bold;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(../Fonts/Times New Roman Bold.ttf);
}

@font-face {
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: italic;
  src: url(../Fonts/Times New Roman Italic.ttf);
 }
and it works fine.

Use the css attribute text-indent:1 em to indent the first line of a paragraph. Embedding a bunch of non-breaking spaces isn't a good idea.
Attached Files
File Type: epub AMOC9.epub (1.39 MB, 218 views)
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #17
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
You're the man, Charleski! Thanks.

I still get some funny results. Stanza has not changed its behaviour. It gives me no italics but shows the pinyin correctly. Adobe works fine with both italics and pinyin. Calibre turns everything into italics, and shows the pinyin correctly, and my Iriver shows both italics and pinyin as it should.

I must have missed the closing bracket once when I copied the @fontface statements, and not noticed it even when Valloric pointed out the small 'f' instead of a capital 'F' in the Fonts path.

I'll have a look at what you mean by the numbers at the end of the names of the font files. Don't know where they came from.

And I noticed the non-breaking spaces and assumed this was added by either calibre or sigil and wondered why ems weren't used, but was more concerned with getting the pinyin and italics showing, so I didn't do anything about that. Now I'll try and learn how to do that, and Zelda's epub of TMOAB should help me there.

Anyway, you've solved my problem for me, and I'm extremely grateful. Now I'll set about including the jpegs in the appropriate place, and I can load my own novel onto my own ebook reader, and maybe even upload it somewhere and see if it wakes any interest.

Thanks again.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #18
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
And I noticed the non-breaking spaces and assumed this was added by either calibre or sigil and wondered why ems weren't used, but was more concerned with getting the pinyin and italics showing, so I didn't do anything about that.
Just for the record, Sigil does not add nbsps to the start of paragraphs.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:00 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Stanza does not support embedded fonts. Stanza should be avoided at all costs. Stanza uses a sub-par rendering engine that needs a lot of work to fix it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #20
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Stanza does not support embedded fonts. Stanza should be avoided at all costs. Stanza uses a sub-par rendering engine that needs a lot of work to fix it.
I thought that was true of all rendering engines. Which is/are acceptable?

Not the embedded fonts part, the sub-par part.

When will we create a suite of conformance tests?
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I thought that was true of all rendering engines. Which is/are acceptable?

Not the embedded fonts part, the sub-par part.

When will we create a suite of conformance tests?
The problem is that the only real test for ePub is not a real test. That would be ePubCheck. Just because it passes does not mean it works and just because it fails doesn't mean it doesn't work.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #22
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Thanks for the tip, JS. I have quoted the results with Stanza as it was one of the first epub readers for my Mac laptop that I downloaded, and I just haven't bothered to wipe it.

Any suggestions for what might be more appropriate as a tool for testing epub files one creates oneself, apart from Adobe, of course, and the reading part of Calibre. Can't remember whether Sigils divided screen shows exactly what one has ordered, but that might be another one to use.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #23
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what about Stanza is sub-par?

I actually don't use Stanza very much, but I did notice that it implements hyphenation, which no other e-reader does (as far as I know). So based on that, I thought that they were actually a bit ahead of the competition.

On the other hand, their hyphenation implementation is really quite poor.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Thanks for the tip, JS. I have quoted the results with Stanza as it was one of the first epub readers for my Mac laptop that I downloaded, and I just haven't bothered to wipe it.

Any suggestions for what might be more appropriate as a tool for testing epub files one creates oneself, apart from Adobe, of course, and the reading part of Calibre. Can't remember whether Sigils divided screen shows exactly what one has ordered, but that might be another one to use.
To be honest, you should be testing your ePub with Adobe Digital Editions. That's what most desktops/laptops and most stand alone readers use.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
Just out of curiosity, what about Stanza is sub-par?

I actually don't use Stanza very much, but I did notice that it implements hyphenation, which no other e-reader does (as far as I know). So based on that, I thought that they were actually a bit ahead of the competition.

On the other hand, their hyphenation implementation is really quite poor.
There are a number of things wrong with Stanza. Font embedding is just one of them. I don't know offhand what the issues are. But they are there.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #26
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
wasn't lack of support of SVG book covers also one of them?
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote