Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-20-2009, 12:52 AM   #1
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Most overhyped classic masterpiece?

I'm going to be unfair and define "classic" as before 1960. Emphasis on 19th century and earlier I guess. Religious books excluded too. Non-English options welcomed too.

What books from your respective culture/language/region are in your opinion mediocre and over-praised? For what books would honest criticism be considered "blasphemy" and land you a title of "intellectual midget"?

Whose works are so unquestionably masterpieces, despite your opinions to the contrary, that to merely not buy it is an act of cultural treason?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:31 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
What books from your respective culture/language/region are in your opinion mediocre and over-praised?
"Moby Dick" - obviously.

Did they have editors when that was published??
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 04:36 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
"Moby Dick" - obviously.

Did they have editors when that was published??
...but I loved that book.

I've never been that fond of Henry Lawson...Banjo Paterson, yes, but not so much Henry Lawson.

There...I said it. Mind you, I still remember The Bush Undertaker (<---linky to very short story) fondly, so maybe I'll revisit him.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:49 AM   #4
jayne80
Connoisseur
jayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toys

Device: iphone 4s, ipad 3, kindle touch,kindle PW, kobo mini, kobo aura
Wuthering Heights

I kept waiting for the actual story to start, It didn't.

Though I love Jane Eyre my friend doesn't.
jayne80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
THE worst "Classics"?
Most of the books I was forced to read in High school as a "compulsory reading". Quite a few of those were written by our national writers with a single thing in mind: to promote ideas endorsed by our Communist government, such a collectivisation.

If you want to see what I am talking about, try
Majakovskij http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Mayakovsky

or another gem:
Как закалялась сталь,
(How the Steel Was Tempered) by Nikolai Ostrovsky
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_the_Steel_Was_Tempered
Some books by Nikolai Ostrovsky - http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/o#a2619

Also, do not forget Maxim Gorky http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/g#a348
and Anton Semyonovich Makarenko http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Makarenko
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Ulysses - Joyce

Neuromancer (Necromancer ) - William Gibson ( I know, I know it was after 1960 ... still...)

Last edited by kennyc; 09-20-2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Fixed Freudian slip on the name.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
fiver
Enthusiast
fiver doesn't litterfiver doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - I know it's blasphemy to bring up any Twain but Huckleberry Finn is just worlds better than this book. I read it for 9th grade lit and I read it again six month ago and my opinion hasn't changed over the last 20 years. I just didn't find it particularly compelling or that interesting.

I remember being singularly bored by Camus' The Plague and only slightly interested in Flaubert's Madame Bovary as well.

I've read plenty of great books - just not these - although I'm willing to give these two the benefit of a bad translation, perhaps?

Michael
fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
"Farewell to arms" by Hemingway (1929).
"The old man and the sea" (1952).
My boss recently recommended me "For Whom the Bell Tolls" (1940) and when I told him that I didn't think much of the two books above, he said this one was worth reading.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I could not finish Tale of Two Cities. I just couldn't do it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I could not finish Tale of Two Cities. I just couldn't do it.
Good Heavens! May I ask why? Wonderful book, IMHO. You can't use the excuse that it's too long - it's Dickens' shortest novel .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #11
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Good Heavens! May I ask why? Wonderful book, IMHO. You can't use the excuse that it's too long - it's Dickens' shortest novel .
Isn't 'Hard Times' shorter?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You're right - it is - "Hard Times" is 360 pages in my printed edition against 430 pages for "Tale of Two Cities". Must be getting my titles mixed up. It's still, though amongst his shorter books. Thanks for the correction!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Maybe I'll try again. I don't know, the language was just too much for me.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
It has a great opening line.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It has a great opening line.
Well, yes