Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 10-04-2016, 01:14 PM   #16
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Variety phones/tablets
I've just sent out v0.9.1. Two changes:
- App disconnecting when transferring large number of books in the background: this might be slightly more reliable now, but it's still going to cut out. As mentioned above, iOS only gives us a few minutes to finish up once the app goes in the background. The app should now better report when it's still running in the background, but I haven't figured out if there's a way to get around iOS's limit. (There probably isn't...)

- Logging: there's a bit more useful information in the log now, and a bit less noise. Hopefully this will help with future debug logs.

Please let me know how it goes! Thanks.
Steve_Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #17
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Steve, maybe add an option to keep the screen on while connected. At least that way you could have some way to reliably transfer a large number of files.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #18
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
You actually can set it up not to turn off, download the files then turn the screen timer back on when you are finished. That's what I did. I was able to download almost 3000 ebooks in blocks of 1000 on an older iPad mini without issue.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I removed the old app. rebooted, installed the new app. Downloaded all my ebooks, disconnected, tried to reconnect and it crashed as expected. I emailed the log. Hopefully you get a bit more information this time.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #20
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
I know, I just figured it would be nicer to have the program do that automatically.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2016, 05:15 AM   #21
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
Steve, maybe add an option to keep the screen on while connected. At least that way you could have some way to reliably transfer a large number of files.
Are you saying the screen does switch off automatically for you during a transfer? I assumed you were manually switching it off or moving to another app. It seems to keep itself on for me already, but I've never done a truly massive transfer (e.g. mine take 5 minutes).

Edit: Definitely confirmed that my screen doesn't switch off while a transfer is in progress. The screen can time out when it's connected and inactive, but once a book transfer is started, the screen stays on until the transfer completes.

However, maybe it's too aggressive with its concept of "inactive". Right now it only considers the connection to be active when a book transfer is in progress, whereas maybe it should consider the connection existing in any state as being active. For example, I think it probably doesn't count the initial sync process as being active, when it obviously should. I'll work on that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I removed the old app. rebooted, installed the new app. Downloaded all my ebooks, disconnected, tried to reconnect and it crashed as expected. I emailed the log. Hopefully you get a bit more information this time.
Could you double check that the email actually got sent? It's not in my inbox or spam folder.

Last edited by Steve_Haley; 10-05-2016 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:41 AM   #22
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Haley View Post
Could you double check that the email actually got sent? It's not in my inbox or spam folder.
Just regenerated and sent the log again from two different emails, so you should get two copies, but hopefully at least one will make it.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:09 AM   #23
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer

Quote:
Just regenerated and sent the log again from two different emails, so you should get two copies, but hopefully at least one will make it.
I got it this time, but only one copy. I'll send a PM saying which email address worked.

As for the problem itself, the logs show where it's occurring and a few crash reports have come through, so I have a place to start now. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #24
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I got it this time, but only one copy. I'll send a PM saying which email address worked.

As for the problem itself, the logs show where it's occurring and a few crash reports have come through, so I have a place to start now. Thanks.
I have a talent for crashing software.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:36 AM   #25
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer

Quote:
I have a talent for crashing software.
I think I know what's causing the problem now, and I'm now trying to verify the theory. During a connection process, CC sends the metadata of each book in its library to Calibre, so that Calibre can then determine whether anything needs updating. To do this, the metadata is put into a queue to be sent to Calibre. My theory is that your iPad Mini is putting information into the queue much faster than it can send it to Calibre, and that's resulting in it running out of memory. In this situation, the iPad Pro would be fine because it has significantly more memory, allowing it to build up a longer queue without issue.

Anyway, once I've proven that's the bug, I'll find a way of ensuring the queue is kept to a reasonable limit.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:17 AM   #26
Mike4672
Mike4672 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 4, LG G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4672 View Post
I installed CC on an iPad Air 2 and an ipad iPad Mini 4 both running iOS 10.0.1. I only had one issue upon installation. Once CC was installed it only showed one reading app... Amazon's Kindle. I have other reading apps on my iPads, such as Bookari, Marvin, MapleRead, Hyphen, yet it wouldn't show any of those. Through trial and error I found that backing out of CC, then locking my iPad, unlocking the iPad and reentering CC fixed the problem. All of the reading apps showed up and CC has worked perfectly.

I have no idea why the initial installation required what I had to do, but once you get past that issue, CC is working great. I've had no other issues with it.

I've since updated to iOS 10.0.2 and CC is still working great.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling CC and the issue appeared again. It only seems to occur on the initial installation.
Mike4672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:45 AM   #27
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think I know what's causing the problem now, and I'm now trying to verify the theory. During a connection process, CC sends the metadata of each book in its library to Calibre, so that Calibre can then determine whether anything needs updating. To do this, the metadata is put into a queue to be sent to Calibre. My theory is that your iPad Mini is putting information into the queue much faster than it can send it to Calibre, and that's resulting in it running out of memory. In this situation, the iPad Pro would be fine because it has significantly more memory, allowing it to build up a longer queue without issue.

Anyway, once I've proven that's the bug, I'll find a way of ensuring the queue is kept to a reasonable limit.
They actually both have the same amount of memory, 128 GB. The iPad Pro has 13.6 GB free and the iPad mini has 41 GB free. However the iPad mini has been using the slower wifi. I can try it with the faster wifi though. Nope, the faster wifi doesn't help. It never gets to the point where it shows the percentages scanned.

Last edited by pwalker8; 10-06-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:03 AM   #28
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer

Quote:
They actually both have the same amount of memory, 128 GB. ... Nope, the faster wifi doesn't help.
Sorry, when I wrote 'memory' I was referring to RAM, which is a more temporary and is used when apps are actually running. You're referring to how much long-term storage your devices have. An iPad Mini 2 has 1GB of RAM whereas an iPad Pro has 4GB. So that means the Pro can keep about 4x more books in the transfer queue. With the specifics of your books and WiFi speed, that seems to be enough to make sure that the queue never gets long enough to crash the app.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:03 AM   #29
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4672 View Post
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling CC and the issue appeared again. It only seems to occur on the initial installation.
Rats. So clearly there's a problem there; thanks for confirming.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #30
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry, when I wrote 'memory' I was referring to RAM, which is a more temporary and is used when apps are actually running. You're referring to how much long-term storage your devices have. An iPad Mini 2 has 1GB of RAM whereas an iPad Pro has 4GB. So that means the Pro can keep about 4x more books in the transfer queue. With the specifics of your books and WiFi speed, that seems to be enough to make sure that the queue never gets long enough to crash the app.
Ah, gotcha. Well good luck bug stomping. Let me know if you want me to try anything. Since we are in different time zones, email to my .info account is likely to get a quicker response.