Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
BloodyElle
BloodyElle began at the beginning.

Device: none
8" Ereader

Well, after looking a lot at current ereaders I've come to the conclusion that anything above 6" is really expensive or poor in quality.

What 8" ereader do you recommend? I have my eyes on hte Onyx i86 because it's android and has app (which is kind of a gimmick) but if I'm gonna have to pay about 200€ for a bloody ereader why not simply drop 250 and get apps and a pdf that works propely aswell.

I simply want touchscreen and a good screen, no ghosting and the like.
BloodyElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #2
AdmiralAnimE
AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 840
I'm also looking for my first reader and I want it to be bigger than 6. From what I read and watched in the last month, we have very few options.

Onyx i86 ML Plus, which has Android and more RAM, but it has bigger border around the screen and bad ghosting when dragging. It's also more expensive.

Pocketbook Inkpad 840 - better quality casing, smaller border, no Anroid. Could not find any good reviews.

Icarus Illumina XL - Will be released soon and can be preordered now. Android, small border, dual core processor. The only downside is lower resolution. From what I see, the people behind it are really open and give straigth answers, which is a plus for me. I think there will be a video of it soon.

Maybe you also can go for Kobo Aura H2O - 6.8 inch, no Android, good dragging / zooming, better/newer screen.

You can go watch or read reviews of the devices. I hope this helps you, I have almost made my decision.
AdmiralAnimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
BloodyElle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralAnimE View Post
I'm also looking for my first reader and I want it to be bigger than 6. From what I read and watched in the last month, we have very few options.

Onyx i86 ML Plus, which has Android and more RAM, but it has bigger border around the screen and bad ghosting when dragging. It's also more expensive.

Pocketbook Inkpad 840 - better quality casing, smaller border, no Anroid. Could not find any good reviews.

Icarus Illumina XL - Will be released soon and can be preordered now. Android, small border, dual core processor. The only downside is lower resolution. From what I see, the people behind it are really open and give straigth answers, which is a plus for me. I think there will be a video of it soon.

Maybe you also can go for Kobo Aura H2O - 6.8 inch, no Android, good dragging / zooming, better/newer screen.

You can go watch or read reviews of the devices. I hope this helps you, I have almost made my decision.
Thanks, I posted here hoping for a miracle, I already knew those.

I simply cannot go for the Illumina because appart from having low resolution (at least the 6" version) it doesn't have pinch zoom, and you can't instal apps on the fly from the web browser like you'd be able to do on the i86.

And you know what? all that would be okay if it was cheaper, but its 200€ man, I couldn't live knowing that for just a little more I could have the i86.

So it's expensive hipster i86 which has people complaining about lightning and crap cover.

Inkpad, which I don't find specially good for 180€ I found a review where a guy said that it had way better light than the i86.

Aura H20 which seems to be fairly good.

Really, I'm torn about those 3. What do you plan to do?
Old 12-11-2015, 09:34 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Bear in mind that the Inkpad does not run Android. If it's important to run Android applications, then the Inkpad is not for you.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:22 AM   #5
AdmiralAnimE
AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.AdmiralAnimE is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyElle View Post
Thanks, I posted here hoping for a miracle, I already knew those.

I simply cannot go for the Illumina because appart from having low resolution (at least the 6" version) it doesn't have pinch zoom, and you can't instal apps on the fly from the web browser like you'd be able to do on the i86.

And you know what? all that would be okay if it was cheaper, but its 200€ man, I couldn't live knowing that for just a little more I could have the i86.

So it's expensive hipster i86 which has people complaining about lightning and crap cover.

Inkpad, which I don't find specially good for 180€ I found a review where a guy said that it had way better light than the i86.

Aura H20 which seems to be fairly good.

Really, I'm torn about those 3. What do you plan to do?
Yeah, I kinda wanted a miracle too, but there's not much choice.

When I found out about i86, I really wanted to buy it. But.. the reported problems with backlight and the horrible dragging are a problem. What if I'm in the not so small percent of people that have an uneven/bad lighting? I really notice those small things and I don't want to return a product immediately and pay some more for that. It does have bluetooth, but I don't need it.

What do you mean installing applications from the browser? I know that Illumina comes with Goodereader store. And are you sure it can't pinch zoom? If true, meh. I don't really know how often will I need it though, haven't used a reader. At least I won't need it for epub books.

As I said, communication and attitude from the manufacturer are important for me, so at the moment Illumina is my first choice. They have really been open and answered every question the campaign backers had, and every question I had on e-mail.
Customization is also important, so the Inkpad goes out. I also read that it just doesn't have a very good software.

The Aura is really good and it's kind of the fallback choice. But I don't care for water protection and I really want to get a bigger screen for the same price. Also no Android, and I read that PDF's are not that well supported.

The only device am I able to see in person is the Inkpad, I used it for a couple minutes. It felt good in my hand, but the lights at the bottom were very noticeable, especially when compared to other smaller readers near it.

I don't know your priorities, but sounds like you will be ok with i86?
Advert
Old 12-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
BloodyElle

Well, about the illumina

https://youtu.be/qcQsG90YG40?t=8m9s

https://youtu.be/5QNUa0CidjM?t=5m47s

The previous model doesn't have pinch zoom, it's not necessary for epub. You'll need it for anything else, just like on any tablet or smartphone.

Also, that resolution and super low dpi (160) I don't think it's okay for anything that's not an epub. I'd like to be able to read manga from time to time.

I'm not sure I understand the issue with dragging, the only ereader I've seen with proper dragging is the Kindle Voyage. The i86 it's true it gets all fussy while you are dragging, but once you let go it loads pretty quick, almost tablet speed, no big black flash in between.

I'm sure you've seen this video https://youtu.be/bpW4y4NJPvE?t=7m8s

it has the performance first mode, which is pretty fast.

Also the dragging issue it's not there while browsing or anything like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puFx7GKiNQg

I'm not sure about the light though, it seems a bit bad, but good enough (to me at least)

http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/ma...5yjsu.jpg.html

I found that on the i86 post of this forum, a bunch of photos

You can see on the attachment that the frontlight doesn't look that bad.

I really like it, but it's expensive, but then I think to myself... it's not like the others are cheap. I will not buy another ereader in at least a couple of years, so I don't mind expending a little more.

The Inkpad it just doesn't have swag, I don't know, it's still a possibility

The Kobo does have the swag the Inkpad lacks, I really like it

I don't know, haven't made my choice yet, only thing I'm almost certain is that the Icarus is out of the equation, can't stand that resolution, low dpi and no pinch zoom (at least for me).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stolen.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	144553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Onyx i86+ FrontLight.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	144554   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150821_132010_zpsclrjoamg.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	144555   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150821_132108_zpsddf5e6in.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	144556   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150916_120047_zpssxdsqqlx.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	144557  
Old 12-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #7
BloodyElle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Bear in mind that the Inkpad does not run Android. If it's important to run Android applications, then the Inkpad is not for you.
It's something I'd like to have, but not decisive, I want a good overall ereader mostly.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #8
AdmiralAnimE

Yeah, I really like that i86 is fast, but can't stand the bad blurring. This on the Kobo is much better, it kind of doesn't refresh at all when dragging.
On some images the light seems a lot stronger at the bottom. I don't plan to read on max light, but still.

I also plan to read manga from time to time, but I thought to myself - my monitor has 100 ppi. I'm going to hold that reader closer than the monitor, and it still has some more ppi. So it won't be that bad I guess. More is better of course.

I wish I could see at least one of the readers so I could decide... :/
Old 12-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
BloodyElle

Quote:
Yeah, I really like that i86 is fast, but can't stand the bad blurring. This on the Kobo is much better, it kind of doesn't refresh at all when dragging.
On some images the light seems a lot stronger at the bottom. I don't plan to read on max light, but still.

I also plan to read manga from time to time, but I thought to myself - my monitor has 100 ppi. I'm going to hold that reader closer than the monitor, and it still has some more ppi. So it won't be that bad I guess. More is better of course.

I wish I could see at least one of the readers so I could decide... :/
Why can't amazon make an 8" ereader and take my money already? That's all I'm thinking all the time, I hate the current market.

I don't know man, I won't swallow that low resolution and dpi, I just can't... I can't stand the fact that my 200€ ereader has that kind of screen.

What I really want is to discard one of my three choices so it's down to two, I started with about 10 choices, now it's down to three, that's good. Next step is getting it down to two.

Should I choose between inkpad and kobo so it's down to android or not android?

Should I choose between inkpad and onyx so it's down to screen size?

I'd appreciate some thoughts on this

Last edited by BloodyElle; 12-12-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Your monitor is probably a lot bigger than an eink reader. If you only let the window in which you are reading manga on your monitor be the same physical size as your ereader screen, then you would notice a problem. But you wouldn't do that, of course; you let the window be as big as the monitor allows. So, ppi by itself isn't that important. What is more important is how many pixels your display has. At 1600x1200 (i86 and Inkpad), the display is probably not that different from your computer monitor. So you can expect roughly the same number of pixels used to draw each thing on both displays.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #11
BloodyElle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Your monitor is probably a lot bigger than an eink reader. If you only let the window in which you are reading manga on your monitor be the same physical size as your ereader screen, then you would notice a problem. But you wouldn't do that, of course; you let the window be as big as the monitor allows. So, ppi by itself isn't that important. What is more important is how many pixels your display has. At 1600x1200 (i86 and Inkpad), the display is probably not that different from your computer monitor. So you can expect roughly the same number of pixels used to draw each thing on both displays.
Icarus double discarded. I really wanted to like it at first, I like the looks of the device and I'm all about android and open source stuff.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:28 AM   #12
AdmiralAnimE

I think you should choose between Kobo and Onyx. Well, at least I would do that, but for me Illumina is still relevant, so I'll think some more about that screen.
I zoomed out a manga image about the same size as 8 inch device (the manga is narrower, so there will be empty space at the right, or you will have to zoom to fit to width), it's not perfect, but meh.
That's why I hate the Onyx's dragging. What if I find the screen not big enough either for manga or for some pdf? I will have to deal with that horrible thing on every page, unless there is some smart thing that can move half or quarter of a zoomed in page on a press, not change to the next.
I also want to see 8 inch from amazon, but then again - amazon. I do not care or don't like their ecosystem, lack of options and not reading epub.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:00 PM   #13
BloodyElle

Quote:
I think you should choose between Kobo and Onyx. Well, at least I would do that, but for me Illumina is still relevant, so I'll think some more about that screen.
I zoomed out a manga image about the same size as 8 inch device (the manga is narrower, so there will be empty space at the right, or you will have to zoom to fit to width), it's not perfect, but meh.
That's why I hate the Onyx's dragging. What if I find the screen not big enough either for manga or for some pdf? I will have to deal with that horrible thing on every page, unless there is some smart thing that can move half or quarter of a zoomed in page on a press, not change to the next.
I also want to see 8 inch from amazon, but then again - amazon. I do not care or don't like their ecosystem, lack of options and not reading epub.
In the end I went for the Kobo, I'll tell you about it when I get it.

I watched a few videos, manga is fine on the Kobo, and Inkpad and Onyx aren't as white.

In a few years, we'll see how the ereader market is going. The h2o is pretty solid, I'd rather an 8"... But cannot be.

If anyone feels like buying the Onyx, I have a 5% off discount, pm me.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:42 AM   #14
AdmiralAnimE

Yeah, carta. It really is strange that the screen cannot be produced at 8 inches or above. Was it the deciding factor? Also, there's strage glossy border around it on the Kobo, not sure if it's problematic.
Looking forward to your opinion, in the meantime I might buy it or Illumina.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #15
BloodyElle

Quote:
Yeah, carta. It really is strange that the screen cannot be produced at 8 inches or above. Was it the deciding factor? Also, there's strage glossy border around it on the Kobo, not sure if it's problematic.
Looking forward to your opinion, in the meantime I might buy it or Illumina.
Because of carta? Kind of... I just don't feel 8" ereaders are good yet. It has very possitive feedback. I don't think I've found someone regretting buying it, also is cheaper.

My dream ereader would be something like the Onyx but with the polishment level of a Kindle, when that day comes, I'll buy it.

Please, regardless of what you get, keep me updated