Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
The Time Traveller's Wife in ebook format?

I'm looking to buy The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger in (preferably) ePub format, but mobi/azw would do fine too. If anyone has run across it, could you please point me there? I am more than willing to "move" to a different country to buy it.

I am reading Doomsday Book by Connie Willis and am loving it, and I thoroughly enjoyed the Outlander series. The Time Traveller's Wife is recommended in the same circles, and is one of NPR's Top 100 SF&F books and thus part of my 2013 reading challenge. It was once in Amazon's inventory but is no longer, which is strange. It is not available at Kobo (CA) or B&N.

Any other "time travel" suggestions would be more than welcome as well!

treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool time travel suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I'm looking to buy The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger in (preferably) ePub format, but mobi/azw would do fine too. If anyone has run across it, could you please point me there? I am more than willing to "move" to a different country to buy it.

I am reading Doomsday Book by Connie Willis and am loving it, and I thoroughly enjoyed the Outlander series. The Time Traveller's Wife is recommended in the same circles, and is one of NPR's Top 100 SF&F books and thus part of my 2013 reading challenge. It was once in Amazon's inventory but is no longer, which is strange. It is not available at Kobo (CA) or B&N.

The Door Into Summer by Robert A. Heinlein.

alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I checked Kobo and Amazon US and Canada, all with no luck.

Not having read The Time Traveller's Wife, I am not sure if this suggestion fits, but I recently read Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley. It is a book about a woman who uncontrollably keeps being sent back to late 1700s Cornwall. She grows to fall in love with one of the people she meets in the past. I thought it was a great read.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Try Richard Matheson's "Bid Time Return," which was made into the film, "Somewhere in Time," starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour.

NOTE: In some cases, the newer editions have been retitled to the name of the film.

ADDED: Here's a link to Amazon's Best Time Travel Fiction of All Time:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Time-Trav...R1TA0D2G8W191X

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-16-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Apparently the author has a thing about ebooks. There are no *legal* ebooks of The Traveler's Wife.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Try Richard Matheson's "Bid Time Return," which was made into the film, "Somewhere in Time," starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour.

NOTE: In some cases, the newer editions have been retitled to the name of the film.

ADDED: Here's a link to Amazon's Best Time Travel Fiction of All Time:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Time-Trav...R1TA0D2G8W191X
That list is severely lacking. It's missing Timescape by Gregory Benford. A true classic.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool the author has a thing about ebooks

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Apparently the author has a thing about ebooks. There are no *legal* ebooks of The Traveler's Wife.
Yep, looks like.

Quoted from audreyniffenegger.com
Quote:
Why can’t I find e-book versions of your books?

I am not opposed to the existence of e-books; I know lots of people are wildly enthusiastic about them. But I have spent my life working with books as an art form and I am devoted to physical books. E-books in their current incarnations are still imperfect and they threaten the arts of book design and typography. As a book conservator I am also nervous about the digitization of books: will they be readable one hundred years from now? Or will thousands of books simply vanish as platforms and programs change?

E-books have certain advantages (they are searchable) and disadvantages (they are not beautiful objects in themselves and don’t display images very well). I’m sure they will improve over time, though. I don’t know when or if my books will become e-books. Writing me hostile e-mail about this will not hasten my desire.
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
The Time Traveler's Wife is available at Audible. Somehow I got that free from there a while ago.

I read a time travel title as a teenager - The Mirror by Marlys Millhiser that I wish was available in ebook format. 'Tis another title available @ Audible.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, okay then. Thank you for the link to her website. I think I'll remove her from my tbr list until an ebook is available.

Thank you for the suggestions! I will make note of them, unfortunately none were on NPR's finalist list, but I'll keep them for after this year's challenge. The Rose Garden was just on sale at Diesel - and drat, I missed it.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
OddCosine
Connoisseur
OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
It was once in Amazon's inventory but is no longer...

The obvious time travel suggestion is to go back to when it was available and buy it! Or did you mean helpful suggestions?
OddCosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:44 AM   #11
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
If you're interested in a time travel story carried to its convoluted extreme, you might consider Dinosaur Beach, by Keith Laumer. It's currently available from Baen as part of Odyssey.

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-301-odyssey.aspx

Otherwise, my favorite time travel story, Time and Again by Jack Finney, appears not to be available as an ebook. Although it looks like it might be out as an audiobook.

Last edited by cromag; 05-17-2013 at 01:46 AM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:03 AM   #12
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
There are two sequels to Doomsday Book: To Say Nothing of the Dog and Blackout/All Clear. The first is very different in tone, being a light Victorian farce, and the second, split into two volumes, is mostly set in WW2. Only some of the secondary characters are shared. They aren't direct sequels.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

How about 11/23/63 by Stephen King.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
treadlightly
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddCosine View Post
The obvious time travel suggestion is to go back to when it was available and buy it! Or did you mean helpful suggestions?
I would go back and play last week's lottery numbers as well.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #15
treadlightly
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
There are two sequels to Doomsday Book: To Say Nothing of the Dog and Blackout/All Clear. The first is very different in tone, being a light Victorian farce, and the second, split into two volumes, is mostly set in WW2. Only some of the secondary characters are shared. They aren't direct sequels.
To Say Nothing of the Dog is on my list for sure! It was a nominee as well, so two birds, one stone. Thanks!