Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
darasen
darasen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Corrupted OS? Hardware failure?

I have a rooted PRS-T1 (via Rupor's). I have been using the rooted device for over 1 month and have had no issues. I do not have many applications installed. Google framework to use Acalendar and gmail app, store, Coolreader, Shorzy, weather channel, handy converter and a scientific calculator. I have noticed a several second delay when going to the the third screen where the android apps are listed. This is a new development and does not seem to be linked to any install or device change.

I was siting outside in ~94 degree heat solving a crossword on Shortzy. Suddenly the device screen went white and the large circular arrows showed up. The screen went white, flickered the the arrows showed up again. This looped several times and continued even when holding the power button down. I figured the device may have over heated and went inside. I used the reset button and was able to reset the device. at this point it seemed to want me to redo the initial setup asking for language, but then a message popped up informing me that google services has stopped responding with a force close option. I hit force close and the same message came up about 20 more times.

I was able to eventually get rid of all the messages and shut down the device. When restarted the same thing occurred. I was able to do a phone reset. Now the device starts uyp normally and seems to work ok though all my android stuff is gone except Superuser and Settings.

I really like having the device rooted and have come to rely on the calendar a bit since my phone isn't smart. Any advice? Reroot, restore with uboot then re-root or leave well enough alone and just read?

Sorry for length and thanks.
darasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
altruizine
Senior Altruist
altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML, Onyx Boox Note Pro
Probably permission Issue, maybe caused by Apps2SD

I've seen this issue a few times as well. Debugging this, it turned out to be the infamous permissions problem: The system had forgotten the mapping between user IDs and apps and had created a new mapping from scratch. If this happens, Android creates (or appends to) a logfile /data/system/uiderrors.txt listing the problems and the changes that were applied.

Typically, the symptoms are that (1) some user apps cannot access their data anymore and crash, (2) system apps have their data removed entirely (which is why you're asked to redo initial setup), and (3) user apps moved to the SD card with Apps2SD vanish in thin air. Uninstalling and reinstalling the user apps doesn't help because their data directories with the old, inaccessible UID remains in place.

A quick remedy for (2) is to manually run the fix_permissions script floating around this forum. Often it's still possible to runs this in the terminal emulator after this problem has occurred; or you could do it using adb (if debugging was enabled), or even automatically at each boot by calling it from /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.

In my experience, this issue occurs more often when Apps2SD is used. As an experiment, I have stopped using Apps2SD altogether and rely on Link2SD instead. This seems to have entirely fixed this problem for me.

Last edited by altruizine; 08-12-2012 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Corrected title: issue might be caused by Apps2SD, not Link2SD
altruizine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
darasen
darasen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
My apologies for the delayed thanks altruizine, but thanks. I used a restore package and then re-rooted the device. It seems to work well again.
darasen is offline   Reply With Quote