Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
Nikita Jedi
Nikita Jedi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Line Spacing

I have done a lot of lyrics and I'm using Calibre to convert them to E-books. I have tried every option I can think of using but I can't get them in the layout I want.

This is part of a poem I wrote for an example of what I mean. I type the lyrics like this:

My heart is like a rose
Your heart is like a shower of water
Which feeds my heart
Love is the feeding power
Which fills life with joy
And makes things grow

But the best layout I can get when adding them to Calibre is this:

My heart is like a rose Your heart is like a shower of water Which feeds my heart Love is the feeding power Which fills life with joy And makes things grow

Is there a way to sort this out please?
Thanks.
Nikita Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Use markdown or textile instead of plain text format. Use extra css to control the line spacing.

e.g. if you use markdown add two spaces to the end of every line you don't want unwrapped.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Nikita Jedi

I tried markdown and textile they didn't work. I cannot find extra css options anywhere.
In the on-line help it seems to say the extra css is under look and feel but there's nothing about css at all.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

I've attached an example of the Waste Land that I've been working on - with markdown you have two choices to prevent wrapping, you need to either add two spaces to the end of the line, or you need to put an empty line in between the lines. Two spaces works better if you want it to look more like poetry in text. In my example I went with line in-between instead.

After you import the file, then click convert. Under the conversion options, under text input, change the paragraph style to off (you could also try single if you don't have any paragraphs across mutiple lines in your text.), change the formatting style to markdown.

The extra css option is under look and feel - it's the big empty text box at the bottom of that window. Here's the css I used with the book I've attached
Code:
*{margin:0;padding:0;}
body {
	font:1em serif;
	color:black;
	line-height:1.4em;
	background-color: #F8F8F8;
	padding: 0.7em;
}
p {
	margin:0 3% 0 10%;
	line-height:1.5em;
	text-indent:-5%;
}
blockquote>p {
	margin:0 0;
	text-indent:0;
}
img{border:0;max-width:100%;}
abbr{border-bottom:none;}
span.smcps{font-size:.75em;}
h2,h3{margin:1em 0;}
h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6{border:0;text-align:center;margin-top:2em;}
h1{font-size:170%;border-top:4px solid #aaa;padding-top:.5em;margin-top:1.5em;}
h1:first-child{margin-top:0;padding-top:.25em;border-top:none;}
h2{font-size:150%;margin-top:1.5em;border-top:4px solid #e0e0e0;padding-top:.5em;}
hr{border:1px solid #ddd;}
ul{margin:1em 0 1em 2em;}
ol{margin:1em 0 1em 2em;}
ul li,ol li{margin-top:.5em;margin-bottom:.5em;}
ul ul,ul ol,ol ol,ol ul{margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}
blockquote{margin:1em 5% 1em 10%;}
blockquote>blockquote{text-align:center}
dt{font-weight:bold;margin-left:1em;}
dd{margin-left:2em;margin-bottom:1em;}
linenum{text-align:right;float:right;}
Note that css is a bit overkill, I'm using a Markdown editor which supplied a lot of it and I haven't gone through and cleaned it all up. Anyway just paste it all into extra css and click convert.

Just mirror the formatting/steps in your own docs and you should be good to go. I highly recommend getting a markdown editor if you plan to be working with a lot of files - on the Mac I use Mou.
Attached Files
File Type: txt The Waste Land - T. S. Eliot.txt (27.9 KB, 248 views)

Last edited by ldolse; 07-04-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Jedi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Use markdown or textile instead of plain text format. Use extra css to control the line spacing.

e.g. if you use markdown add two spaces to the end of every line you don't want unwrapped.
I tried markdown and textile they didn't work. I cannot find extra css options anywhere. In the on-line help it seems to say the extra css is under look and feel but there's nothing about css at all.
He did not mean to select those options in the Text Input area he meant to review the links and add formatting as needed of the Markdown or Textile variety.

If you want to look at the Text Input area of conversion change Paragraph style to single and it should get you what you want. Also ensure there is no indent listed in the common options area.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
Nikita Jedi

Thanks.

I never saw the extra css as I was looking at the options not the menus but I found it.

I have tried everything you said and a few extra things. Now I get everything on their own lines. But all lyrics are in one long list justified to the left and centred in the page. I can't figure out how to make paragraphs or have the lines so they are left justified or fully centred.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
ldolse
Wizard

Change these lines of the extra css:
Code:
p {
}
e.g. if you want it centered:
Code:
p {
	text-align: center;
}
Read about text-align here:
http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_text_text-align.asp

Since you're on the Kindle, if you want the blocks of text indented you need to use blockquotes - do this in the markdown source by preceding the lines with '>', e.g.
Code:
This line isn't indented

> This line is indented one level

>> This paragraph is indented two levels
There are a few examples in the book I attached.

The bad news is on the Kindle you have don't have a ton of control over poetry formatting.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
Nikita Jedi

Thanks .

Just did a small test but it looks like I found the layout I want.

I found the right part in the book you gave for the right line spacing. so I copied that. Now I need to paste it at the end of every paragraph I want for nearly 2,000 songs.

I'll have to see what it looks like on the kindle first though.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
ldolse
Wizard

If you're talking about the   - you might be able to avoid pasting that in 2000 times if you enable heuristics with the detect scene breaks option, but that will only work if the original doc is spaced out in a way that looks like a scene break to heuristics.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
Nikita Jedi

The only thing I found is the weird square thing and the > sign. I tried to copy and paste here to show you but the square doesn't show up.

I have tried some of the option in the heuristics but it only puts large spaces between the headings and leaves the rest as it is.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
ldolse
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Jedi View Post
The only thing I found is the weird square thing and the > sign. I tried to copy and paste here to show you but the square doesn't show up.
I'm guessing the weird square thing is an   - you might want to change text editors - it shouldn't be displaying like that.

The only other things I could envision showing up as square things are the greek letters in the epigraph.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Nikita Jedi

I have tried word and other things but the square doesn't show up. I've only been able to see it in notepad. The story you upload is full of them. They look like a square O. In notepad it's a square> which are both together. But in word it's the enter symbol and the > is put on the next line.

I opened the story in word and the weird square and the > is  

But I have tried it and does put every verse how I want them and it works on the kindle. I just can't figure out how to do this quickly. To do this the long way for nearly 2,000 songs I'm guessing I'd have to paste the symbols about 8 times a song which would be about 15-16,000 times in total.

Last edited by Nikita Jedi; 07-09-2012 at 08:12 AM.