Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
weamish
weamish began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Managing collections

Is there any way to add or edit collections on the computer instead of on the Kindle itself? Thanks!

Steve
weamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
If you do a search you will find a few methods including some standalone programs as well as an addin or plugin for Calibre.

I've also used the link below where you place your books in subfolders on the kindle and grab a directory/folder listing which the site returns as the appropriate collections.json file.

http://www.accwebworks.com/kindle.aspx
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
@weamish - I am currently using a Calibre plug-in created by some GREAT folks that allow Calibre users to now manage Collections directly within Calibre.

Calibre has now become a one stop shop for ALL my ebook management and I just can't thank all the folks over in the Calibre forum for this terrific plug-in. By the way, that's just one plug-in, there are a bunch available to make managing your Library much easier. The Kindle Collections plug-in is just one. You might want to go to this link and check it out:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118764

Piece of advice: DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS, if you don't understand how something works. I needed a little help configuring the plug-in (and I am SO NOT a programmer/developer) but every question I asked I got a straight, easy to understand answer. You have nothing to lose and Good Luck!

See below for a screenshot of how my Collections are organized - this was all done with Calibre.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-49290.gif
Views:	375
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	69076  

Last edited by chilady1; 03-27-2011 at 02:40 PM.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Okay. I have a stupid question: when you use a collection manager, do the books appear twice, once in the 'folder' and again on the main screen.
I haven't bothered yet with a manager, but have tried using the built-in kindle version and it doesn't actually move the book but instead creates two listings.
Maybe this has changed?
Anyway, it's really annoying since the point of doing collections is to try to organize your books.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
Okay. I have a stupid question: when you use a collection manager, do the books appear twice, once in the 'folder' and again on the main screen.
I haven't bothered yet with a manager, but have tried using the built-in kindle version and it doesn't actually move the book but instead creates two listings.
Maybe this has changed?
Anyway, it's really annoying since the point of doing collections is to try to organize your books.
The Kindle displays your books in different ways. Go to your book listing and hit the Home key. Look at the first line of your screen - it will say something like "Showing All xx Items By Title". If you use the 5-way buttons to move up to that line and go to the right you'll see you can select to sort the listing by Most Recent First, Title, Author, or Collections. Select Collections and you will see your Collections at the top, followed by any books not in collections.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
The Kindle displays your books in different ways. Go to your book listing and hit the Home key. Look at the first line of your screen - it will say something like "Showing All xx Items By Title". If you use the 5-way buttons to move up to that line and go to the right you'll see you can select to sort the listing by Most Recent First, Title, Author, or Collections. Select Collections and you will see your Collections at the top, followed by any books not in collections.
Oh duh! See, I said it was a stupid question.
That's much better. thanks.
I think I will bother with a collection manager in this case.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Very rarely are there stupid questions. So ask away. That Collections issue is one others have also asked about - the line at the top is somewhat obscure and how to interact with it even more so.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:55 AM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I agree. The only 'stupid question' is the one that isn't asked. Why waste time spinning your wheels when you can ask a question and get a direct answer from someone who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Very rarely are there stupid questions. So ask away. That Collections issue is one others have also asked about - the line at the top is somewhat obscure and how to interact with it even more so.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's important to realise that a collection is NOT a folder, but a "tag" that's applied to the file. So yes, your books will appear multiple times - once in the main book list, and once in each collection that the book has been tagged for.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
superooberman
superooberman began at the beginning.

Device: kindle,sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's important to realise that a collection is NOT a folder, but a "tag" that's applied to the file. So yes, your books will appear multiple times - once in the main book list, and once in each collection that the book has been tagged for.
well on my kindle 3 when i put something in a collection it shows it only in the collection NOT on the main screen.

please note that my "view" setting is "By Collections"

i don't think alot of people even notice the "view" setting.
superooberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by superooberman View Post
i don't think alot of people even notice the "view" setting.
I overlook this all the time on various media players/readers. It's rarely an issue, though. Changing the view settings helps smooth things out if I'm getting tired of seeing something show up multiple times in a list.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:06 AM   #12
Cleemur
Love the gift of a SMILE
Cleemur began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Talking Kindle 3-Calibre Collection Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
@weamish - I am currently using a Calibre plug-in created by some GREAT folks that allow Calibre users to now manage Collections directly within Calibre.

Calibre has now become a one stop shop for ALL my ebook management and I just can't thank all the folks over in the Calibre forum for this terrific plug-in. By the way, that's just one plug-in, there are a bunch available to make managing your Library much easier. The Kindle Collections plug-in is just one. You might want to go to this link and check it out:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118764

Piece of advice: DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS, if you don't understand how something works. I needed a little help configuring the plug-in (and I am SO NOT a programmer/developer) but every question I asked I got a straight, easy to understand answer. You have nothing to lose and Good Luck!

See below for a screenshot of how my Collections are organized - this was all done with Calibre.

Are there simple step-by-step directions available on how to accomplish above collections? The link you posted didn't provide much help for me.

Cleemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #13
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleemur View Post

Are there simple step-by-step directions available on how to accomplish above collections? The link you posted didn't provide much help for me.

Try this link instead. Instructions are pretty good, I think.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...99&postcount=1
The link you referred to has a lot of plugins, including the Kindle Collection plugin.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #14
Cleemur
Love the gift of a SMILE
Cleemur began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
Try this link instead. Instructions are pretty good, I think.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...99&postcount=1
The link you referred to has a lot of plugins, including the Kindle Collection plugin.
Thanks for trying, but the link is not clear or it is not updated because for me, following the listed instructions did not sync with my experience. Calibre already comes with the kindle plug-ins. And while I am able to see book titles from my kindle in Calibre...

I have yet to understand how to create collections in Calibre that can be transferred to my kindle 3 such as the example above as shown by chilady1.

Still need...

Last edited by Cleemur; 04-03-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Cleemur is offline   Reply With Quote