Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-23-2016, 04:30 PM   #16
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
One thing that has gone away (before 5.8.2) is one used to be able to go to 'Book Description' for any Amazon book listed on Home screen (which would take you to Kindle Store listing). Now that is only available for Cloud items. For the rest, you have to open the book, go to About This Book, and follow the link there. I guess the ran out of space on the context menu what with the FreeTime and Goodreads options, and something else had to go.

It's always annoyed me that Kindle has had Buy button on Kindle Store listings for things you have already bought. Looking forward to that little tweak.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:31 PM   #17
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo365 View Post
Is there any improvement for the power consumption of Oasis? Someone told me the power run out quickly after he upgraded his Oasis.
Didn't have any issue before or after this latest update. Its the same and fine for me. My oasis was just sitting for a week as I was travelling and the percentage didn't even move. I guess its that deep sleep they were talking about. While reading I have good battery on it. Not sure what to compare it to, I read a lot.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:01 PM   #18
Leo365
Leo365 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Didn't have any issue before or after this latest update. Its the same and fine for me. My oasis was just sitting for a week as I was travelling and the percentage didn't even move. I guess its that deep sleep they were talking about. While reading I have good battery on it. Not sure what to compare it to, I read a lot.
Yes, they compared the power consumption in sleep mode, and 5.8.2.1 took more without reading. I was very confused about that.
Leo365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
This newest "bug fix" firmware has been released for all 6th., 7th. and 8th. generation, grayscale Kindles.

The "bug" that seems Amazon has fixed was our most recent jail break for those devices.

Additional details, when known, to be posted in the Kindle Developer's Forum, as usual.
Until then, Kindle owners this might effect should keep their device off-line or otherwise avoid an unintended OTA update.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:35 PM   #20
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
This newest "bug fix" firmware has been released for all 6th., 7th. and 8th. generation, grayscale Kindles.

The "bug" that seems Amazon has fixed was our most recent jail break for those devices.
Odd that this is just being discovered now. This firmware has been out for a few weeks.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:18 PM   #21
MinnieHeather
MinnieHeather began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalbertAmu View Post
There's no practical reason to install these minor updates, right?
the same question with you
MinnieHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:27 AM   #22
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Odd that this is just being discovered now. This firmware has been out for a few weeks.
Not too odd.

The Kindle Developer's Forum only has one active member left familar with the details of the jail break.

And that is in addition to answering all questions posed each day.

So trouble reports about losing the jail break on 5.8.2.1 where easy to miss, since no one who reported a problem mentioned that 5.8.2.1 was new.

And of course, this update only affected the people who choose not to include the OTA blocker suggested in Step #7.

Making the update bridging code survive an update to 5.8.2.1 may take awhile, since the author / maintainer of that package is also gone from the forum.

Last edited by HarryT; 10-06-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:01 AM   #23
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
How do you know if jailbreak is gone? I recently updated mine to this latest firmware and everything still seems to be working the same way. I did have a minor KUAL issue (not responding error) after transferring books from Calibre after updating but it seems to have gone away. I only have KUAL (v2.6.) and LibrarianSync on my device an I did the 5.6.5 jailbreak for the closed-kindle.

Last edited by melovesflying; 10-06-2016 at 06:08 AM.
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:44 AM   #24
knc1
Going Viral

That is good to know.
Are you saying you went directly from 5.6.5 to 5.8.2.1?
Which device? (Sorry, not everyone keeps their info block up to date.)

Try installing one of our update_*.bin format packages, that is the only time the jail break is used (to check the signature).

If you want to check for a working jail break without actually installing anything -
From the second section "Packages targeting the Kindle 5 . . ." of this page:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030
(Unarchive and) install the "Dummy Test Hack"
All it will do to your Kindle is test things and write a report in /documents.

Didn't you also have to install Python and MrPI?

= = = =

Anybody else with something to report?

Last edited by knc1; 10-06-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #25
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
That is good to know.
Are you saying you went directly from 5.6.5 to 5.8.2.1?
Which device? (Sorry, not everyone keeps their info block up to date.)

Try installing one of our update_*.bin format packages, that is the only time the jail break is used (to check the signature).

If you want to check for a working jail break without actually installing anything -
From the second section "Packages targeting the Kindle 5 . . ." of this page:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030
(Unarchive and) install the "Dummy Test Hack"
All it will do to your Kindle is test things and write a report in /documents.

Didn't you also have to install Python and MrPI?

= = = =

I had my PW3 jailbroken following this one (it's the latest jailbreak at that time). Then, I updated OTA everytime, including this recent one. Yes, I had installed Python and MrPI together with KUAL and LibrarianSync. And so far, I haven't had any issues with the latest firmware. I tried sideloading via Calibre, including adding new Collections via LibrarianSync, just now and I had no issues. Not sure if it helps that my KUAL is still v2.6.

BTW, I'm on a Mac so I currently can't do the dummy test. Also, how do I do it on a Windows computer? Haha

Last edited by melovesflying; 10-06-2016 at 10:17 AM.
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #26
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
About two weeks ago, I purchased a PW2 (90D4 22). I downgraded (5.4.3.2), applied the Jailbreak and then updated to 5.8.2.1 (manual not OTA). Everything is still intact and working: Font, Screensaver, Python, KUAL...
Attached Files
File Type: gz dummy_testupdate.log.gz (4.8 KB, 170 views)
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #27
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by melovesflying View Post
I had my PW3 jailbroken following this one (it's the latest jailbreak at that time). Then, I updated OTA everytime, including this recent one. Yes, I had installed Python and MrPI together with KUAL and LibrarianSync. And so far, I haven't had any issues with the latest firmware. I tried sideloading via Calibre, including adding new Collections via LibrarianSync, just now and I had no issues. Not sure if it helps that my KUAL is still v2.6.

BTW, I'm on a Mac so I currently can't do the dummy test. Also, how do I do it on a Windows computer? Haha
You then hit every version on the way from 5.6.5 -> 5.8.2.1
If there was a problem along that path, you should know it by now.

The only time you have an issue is when trying to install an update_*.bin file.

The dummy test is run on the Kindle.

You do have to open the archive on something else and move the included update_*.bin file to /mrpackages and then trigger an update install.

You seem to be a "keep things current" person -
So I am pretty sure your Mac will be a fairly recent release also.
It should be able to unpack *.tar.xz without any special actions.

Directions in text of that first post for everyone else.

= = = = =

It is always possible that the people reporting loss of the jailbreak, lost it due to some other reason.

The move from 2.6 to 2.7 (to support KT3 and KOA) might have broken something - it was done in a hurry.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #28
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Quote:
The question is strictly directed towards Kindle Paperwhite owners?

I have Kindle Voyage. 5.6.5 jailbreaked and manually updated one version at a time, as it arrived. The last update, 5.8.2 to 5.8.2.1. Jailbreak survived. I have MrPI, KUAL (the install version), Python and Librarian Sync. And all is fine, working as expected.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:59 PM   #29
bel3atar
Connoisseur
bel3atar began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
is kpvbooklet still working?
EDIT: yes it is

Last edited by bel3atar; 10-10-2016 at 11:25 AM.
bel3atar is offline   Reply With Quote