Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
dzari
dzari began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 1, Kindle DX Graphite
Newspapers reading: Kindle Touch or DX?

Since 2010 I'm a happy iPad owner.
But my growing Amazon ebook library push me to consider Kindle for serious reading.
I want also read some newspapers, and having a integrated dictionary lockup functionality (I will read also German newspapers to improve my not so good German).

Kindle Touch will be the best for fast tap and translate, but my concern is that the screen will be too small. I'm also used to read on my iPad ebooks (only for reference since the screen have the limitations of any back light LCD screen) and sometimes PDF as well for technical articles and also I think a 6" screen can be too small.

Kindle DX will be the perfect choice, with a screen as big as my iPad, but I think will be slow in the dictionary lokup since the standard interface need to change cursor position scrolling rows and columns and e-ink its not so fast. And DX as I know its not a evolved product, I have read about Amazon ending the product line, so I can never expect a DX Touch.

So the questions are: DX speed navigating a text its really so slow? Or: Touch 6" display its not really a limitation? Can you share your experience?
dzari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I have been reading The Financial Times and The Wall Street Journal on my KT. I think the call is subjective - the screen IS smaller than the iPad, after all, significantly - but I find it to be a pleasant experience. I use the menu to find the articles I want to read (rather than scrolling the section header pages like I would on an iPad) and, once reading, I don't notice the difference. So, I guess, where the difference is noticeable is in the browsing stage, rather than in reading. Of course, you don't get the cool multimedia interactive graphs that WSJ and FT push now on the iPad.

Frankly, I like it much better than reading on the iPad - and I pay for the subscriptions DESPITE having free access to the iPad version (paid for by my employer). The main advantage (aside from the portability of the device and eink) is that the issues are delivered overnight, so you don't get the pauses that you experience when reading on the iPad, as it pulls content from the WSJ and FT apps.

I use my iPad for PDFs as well - but that is very different reading. I could not take PDF on 6 or 7" screens, but I am perfectly comfortable with newspapers.

Currently, I use my KT or my SONY PRS950 for newspapers and books. My iPad for PDFs.

By the way, I did not mention it, because you probably won't have that option anymore (unless you find a used one on ebay) but the SONY PRS950 is a better solution for newspapers than the KT. The 7" screen is not much bigger, but the extra space makes for more comfortable browsing and file management of periodicals is more straightforward. If you can find a used one, I would recommend it.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
dzari

But you can find newspapers subscription for Sony either? And as you know I can convert my Amazon ebooks so to read it into Sony ereader?
I always read Sony are a more flexible alternative especially for PDF reading, but since all my ebook library is coming from Amazon I was considering mostly the Kindle solution.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
dzari,

Please don't get a DXG to read PDFs or technical documents. It's too slow for that. Unless you don't need to move back and forth inside the same book, it's too painful for such task. Being there, done that. Your iPad is the best device for that.

Now, if you don't read PDFs too frequently, get the Kindle Touch, no doubt about it. It has landscape and better firmware than DXG, so it's a fantastic choice for ebooks and a workaround or second option for PDFs.

I can't comment on newspaper subscriptions, as I do not do that, but I am assuming it should not be a problem on 6 inches.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzari View Post
But you can find newspapers subscription for Sony either? And as you know I can convert my Amazon ebooks so to read it into Sony ereader?
I always read Sony are a more flexible alternative especially for PDF reading, but since all my ebook library is coming from Amazon I was considering mostly the Kindle solution.
SONY's store sells subscriptions, just as Amazon. Prices and offering are, as far as I can tell, very similar.

Now, Amazon's devices have the advantage of auto-delivery (your issue is delivered overnight) and have the 3g option.

Auto-delivery works on the old SONYs (such as the 950) but was not working on last year's model (the T1). The manual for the new one (the newly released T2) claims it now works again. But you don't have a 3g option, so you must have wifi.

If you use Calibre (donation-priced software) you can convert from one format to the other. But I would not recommend that with newspapers (do you really want to deal with that every morning?).
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
dzari

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
dzari,

Please don't get a DXG to read PDFs or technical documents. It's too slow for that. Unless you don't need to move back and forth inside the same book, it's too painful for such task. Being there, done that. Your iPad is the best device for that.
But DX was not created especially for that purpose? Allowing students to read study material and take notes. I also read about a test with some universities assigning DX to all students. Anyway PDF reding will be not his first task, but having the possibility to do it will be useful and 6" will be not enough. Touch PDF reader has the same capabilities of DX? I always read DX was the only one that can decently deal with PDF.

I know DX is a step back in terms of hw and sw respect touch, but since I haven't the possibility to test it I can't make an idea about how much can be slow.

About newspapers I have concluded that using Amazon subscription will be not a problem on 6" since they are almost only text. But this again pull PDF reading in the equation: some of them are also available as PDF and will be nice to have the full newspaper (not only a selection of articles without graphics and pictures) available for reading (after some work with Calibre I think).

About speed: I read DX has a 500mhz kindle 3 processor and 128MB dedicated RAM, touch a 800mhz with more RAM. Rendering PDF will be sure faster in touch, there are anyway the problem of small size and the question about PDF reader capabilities.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:48 AM   #7
dzari

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
SONY's store sells subscriptions, just as Amazon. Prices and offering are, as far as I can tell, very similar.

Now, Amazon's devices have the advantage of auto-delivery (your issue is delivered overnight) and have the 3g option.
Unfortunately there are two problems: I can't find a used PSR950 in my country and Sony store US/Canada/UK don't have the newspaper subscription I'm interested (FAZ and Handelsblatt).

So I think Kindle will be the only choice.

In fact I'm not so interested in auto delivery, I'm reading since now (but this can change having always available on ereader!) on weekly basis.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzari View Post
Since 2010 I'm a happy iPad owner.
But my growing Amazon ebook library push me to consider Kindle for serious reading.
I want also read some newspapers, and having a integrated dictionary lockup functionality (I will read also German newspapers to improve my not so good German).
If you already have an iPad, you might want to give PressReader/PressDisplay a try.
They have a wide variety of newspapers available, and offer both translation and text-to-speech options.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
dzari

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
If you already have an iPad, you might want to give PressReader/PressDisplay a try.
They have a wide variety of newspapers available, and offer both translation and text-to-speech options.
iPad its perfect for scanning news, I know that, and sure you can load and check a lot of complex information in less time.
But if you need to concentrate on some topic for more than few minutes, i think a ereader is needed.
That's why I can accept ereader limitations in term of speed and flexibility, its very specialized but also incomparable with iPad in his domain.
So the choice its not btw iPad and ereader, after 2 years of iPad I know goods and bads.
The choice its only btw Kindle DX and Touch.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #10
KindleChickie
Connoisseur
KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DX, iPad 2, Kindle 3, Nook simple touch
I have a DXG and do not notice it being slower than other readers. I subscribe to 4 newspapers, several blogs, and take a lot of notes. I have no problems on my DXG.

On the other hand, I found the kindle touch way to annoying and returned it. It kept jumping chapters on me when I tried to turn a single page.

Everyone is different.

Edit: let me add the only disappointment in my DXG is with audiobooks. Having no wifi limits me.

Last edited by KindleChickie; 08-24-2012 at 01:01 AM.
KindleChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:56 AM   #11
dzari

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleChickie View Post
I have a DXG and do not notice it being slower than other readers. I subscribe to 4 newspapers, several blogs, and take a lot of notes. I have no problems on my DXG.

On the other hand, I found the kindle touch way to annoying and returned it. It kept jumping chapters on me when I tried to turn a single page.

Edit: let me add the only disappointment in my DXG is with audiobooks. Having no wifi limits me.
Finally I made my mind: yesterday I ordered a brand new Kindle DX Graphite.

After infinite checks I decide that speed it's not a problem, from videos I can notice the difference with Touch but considering I want to read more and not flicker trough pages I appreciate the big picture of a bigger screen instead infinite small pages to turn.
PDF support appear also to be not so good in Touch, so again bigger screen will be a plus.
My only concern it's about point and translate since I need to scroll the doc using the mini joystick to point the single word, but hopefully will be not so slow.
No problem for me to be without wifi since I will transfer my files using PC. I listen audiobooks only with my iPod driving on highway so either this is not a problem.

I will receive it next Thursday at latest, really want to try it!

Last edited by dzari; 08-24-2012 at 03:58 AM.

Tags
kindle dx, kindle touch, newspapers