Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 06-24-2007, 10:05 AM   #16
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anais9000 View Post
May I respectfully suggest you let people protect their works in the way and to the extent they wish, rather than imposing a system. Patricia can insert a copyright statement, or statement of origin, or CC license into her ebook if she likes. I prefer to use a copyright statement, which in my understanding allows the uses I wish to permit (viewing, reading, downloading -- implied by the act of posting) and blocks uses I don't (all others, eg. reposting, republishing, including the work in disk compilations etc.).
Sounds good. I was just thinking of ways to make it easier
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:07 AM   #17
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Your copyright in the book will not stop reposting. I've seen the books posted here in Sony format reported on Usenet. So no, just because you say mo, doesn't make it so.
I wouldn't be so afraid of reposting. What would suck is if someone tried to resell the books.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:08 AM   #18
Anais9000
Connoisseur
Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
On cue, JSWolf points out the obvious. The copyright asserts the right, it does not enforce it. We're all aware of the difficulties of defending rights, as well as the harm caused by misguided attempts at over-enforcement (see RIAA). Asserting my copyright does not oblige me to enforce it in every case.
Anais9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:09 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't think the books will be resold just becaus eof being posted on Usenet. But, I do think that if anyone hwere thinks a copyright will stop reposting other places is quite naive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:13 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't believe that anyone is suggesting that, Jon. The advantage of having a copyright message is that it would give one a means of doing something about a particular distribution which one found particularly irksome, such as someone re-selling one's hard work on a web site, for example.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:39 AM   #21
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

My suggestion, if the Creative Commons license sounds good to you, use their online tool to pick a license, and name it in your e-book work and/or the upload thread.

Example for a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 License:

Info
Old 03-17-2008, 12:03 PM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I wouldn't be so afraid of reposting. What would suck is if someone tried to resell the books.
this issue has arisen again in a piracy thread. I know this thread is pretty old but I do like the idea of automatically restricting commercial use of posted books. I think we should say at least:

These eBooks can be downloaded for non-commercial use but you cannot sell them. You can give them to your friends under the same terms or tell them where they can download the latest version. These rules apply unless a specific statement is made in the thread containing the uploaded eBook.

Or something similar. I think forcing the uploader to spell out this basic level of copyright is a hardship as does the US government which is why they decided to automatically do it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #23
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I have taken some of the books from here and checked in in the developer hub as test cases for MobiPerl and they are publicly available. That was a case I thought about what to do but I checked them in and if somebody complain I will remove them. In that case a statement here will not help so much. And I have also checked in old versions of books because they were better test cases...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I have taken some of the books from here and checked in in the developer hub as test cases for MobiPerl and they are publicly available. That was a case I thought about what to do but I checked them in and if somebody complain I will remove them. In that case a statement here will not help so much. And I have also checked in old versions of books because they were better test cases...
You are very welcome to repost any of my books anywhere you wish.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #25
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you think that any book that's posted here is in violation of copyright law, please report it by sending an e-mail to abuse@mobileread.com and we will investigate and take any necessary action.
So you're only concerned with books? I am curious about the copyright status of your avatar picture, but happy to accept that you took the photo yourself if you say so. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=5306 is very unlikely to be a legal use of that image IMO.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
I am curious about the copyright status of your avatar picture, but happy to accept that you took the photo yourself if you say so.
We've been through that before a few times. HarryT's avatar pic is one that was taken of a model-maker's model. The pic itself is one he has every relevant right and permission to use.

While Daleks are probably trademarked, he's not using it for trade, so that's not a concern: there's no infringement from taking pictures of something that someone else has trademarked, as long as you don't try to use it commercially yourself. And that's pretty murky, as it happens: how many movies don't contain shots with some sort of trademarked image in them (consider any street scene, for instance)?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #27
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The pic itself is one he has every relevant right and permission to use.
The latter point is the one that counts. Which is why I'd like to know more about the picture Dave Berk is using. It seems very Herge-like for a cariciture.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It's a good question, and one I don't feel at all qualified to give any sort of definitive answer to, but I expect that it would fall under "fair use" to take a small chunk of an image and use it for totally non-commercial use, as he's doing.

There are probably literally hundreds of avatars here that would fit the same description.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:17 AM   #29
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
It's a good question, and one I don't feel at all qualified to give any sort of definitive answer to, but I expect that it would fall under "fair use" to take a small chunk of an image and use it for totally non-commercial use, as he's doing.

There are probably literally hundreds of avatars here that would fit the same description.
Mine own Avatar is a scan of a picture I own...... And I'm not selling myself in a commercial sense, I wonder if I'm breaking copyright (at least technically)!?!
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote