Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Talking Free eBooks from B&N

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free...hors/379002210

You can get a free eBook a week from Barnes & Nobel, requires a visit to an actual store though.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

I did try the B&N reader with full force and it seems to work ok.
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Nearest B&N is 40 miles away, 80 round trip / 20 MPG * 3.00 per gallon = $12 for a book I don't really want but if I did I could buy it on line for $7.99. Well, it's a nice gesture. Perhaps Borders will match it. Borders is 1 mile away ;-)
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Since B&N closed 6 months ago, the next nearest one is 40 miles away.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books

i've got one about 10mi from me.. will hit it this weekend when i am home. i agree, the selection is hit-and-miss, but then again they are trying to find something for everyone.
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Got a code and loaded the free book. Not sure I'll read it, it but I was at the store anyway. I live near B&N and Borders, and am at both regularly. I always live near bookstores, because I like 'em.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Got a code and loaded the free book. Not sure I'll read it, it but I was at the store anyway. I live near B&N and Borders, and am at both regularly. I always live near bookstores, because I like 'em.
I used to live near bookstores until they started closing down . All we have left in our town is Books-A-Million and that's a 30 minute drive.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
There's also some discussion here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83819
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
I used to live near bookstores until they started closing down . All we have left in our town is Books-A-Million and that's a 30 minute drive.
Yikes. Makes me curious where you live. You don't have to tell me, of course. I worry that the shift to e-books will lead to more bookstores closing. I try to support mine with spending on gift cards, CDs and such. I buy many fewer print books than I used to.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
Tamara
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Yikes. Makes me curious where you live. You don't have to tell me, of course. I worry that the shift to e-books will lead to more bookstores closing. I try to support mine with spending on gift cards, CDs and such. I buy many fewer print books than I used to.
I live about halfway between Tampa and Orlando. The nearest B&N is in Tampa which is about 40 miles and the nearest one in Orlando is about 45 miles away.

I have no idea why B&N shut our store down. Every time I went, it was always busy. Even a month before the shutdown, the store manager said they weren't going anywhere when the local newspaper posted an article the store was closing.