Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-28-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Idea: sync notes with Evernote (using iDS button?)

A friend here at MobileRead suggested that I take a look at EverNote as a way to organize and be able to search my iLiad notes. What a great idea! Finally, my scribbled notes on the iLiad could be searchable! Now I just need an easy way to keep the iLiad synchronized with Evernote.

What would be especially cool would be an application that would, when run:

- Connect to Evernote
- Upload any notes that had been created since my last connection to Evernote
- Optionally, upload Scribbles that had been created since my last connection (merged with the PDFs they are on? Might have to be to private notebooks only, in keeping with Evernote's TOS....)
- Extra bonus points: download new items from Evernote since last sync, perhaps from designated "Notebooks" only, into Notes folders of the same name? (There could be space issues, even with a large CF card... but it would be SO convenient to have everything in a portable form, no matter where I'd found the reference!)

While having this application configurable to trigger from the iDS sync button would be nice, it wouldn't be critical. But it would be an improvement to have options about which service to sync with when the iDS button is pressed-- or whether to connect to any service at all, given the location of the button and how easy it is to press it accidentally.

Would anyone else find this sort of application helpful/interesting? I wasn't able to find information about a supported API at Evernote, but it should be possible to emulate the web page, or check the traffic coming from and to the Mac or Windows clients. At minimum, there's a way to send notes into and out of Evernote Web to a specific email address, and it looks like some kind of IMAP interface is in alpha.

Note that this wouldn't be a full port of Evernote to the iLiad, because the notes wouldn't be searchable on the iLiad itself. That would, of course, be ideal, but it may be out of reach given the specs of the iLiad (and the limited market share of the iLiad, which now seems to be a lame duck device).
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think it's a very interesting idea, nekokami. I don't have an iLiad, of course, but I'm looking at the DR series pretty hard right now, and something like this ought to, theoretically, be easily enough applicable to those devices as well.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried doing this manually today. I can create a new "notebook" in Evernote, matching the folder in Notes on the iLiad (I use different folders for different topics), then I create a note with the same name as the note on the iLiad, then upload the png files from the "result" folder inside the note folder on the iLiad. That works well, but it's a bit tedious. (Less so on the desktop version than on the web version, which only lets one upload one png file to a note at a time-- in the desktop version, you can drag all the png files into the note at once).

Next I tried the "import wizard" on the desktop version. (I'm at work, so it's the Windows version.) I can specify the notebook to import to, and I can select an iLiad note folder and turn on the "import from subfolders" option, but each png is imported as a single note. When I tried the "merge notes" function, all the notes were included on a single line, in vastly reduced size.

That's too bad, because there's a nice feature to this import functionality that allows the user to automatically import any additions to the folder, which could probably be used to help synchronize between the iLiad and Evernote. A little more work would need to be done here, I think.

Unfortunately, Evernote has a lot of trouble indexing my handwriting. So even now that I have several of my iLiad notes imported, I'm still not able to easily find specific notes by searching in Evernote. I'll try writing more neatly in classes this week and see if that improves.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
genome2k
Enthusiast
genome2k began at the beginning.

Device: iRex ILIAD
this would be really exciting!
genome2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
Indigo Ink
The curious one!
Indigo Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook, Ebookman 901
Thanks Nekokami

This is really interesting. I don't have have the Irex yet and I am waiting for the Plastic logic and Irex 1000sw, and this is precisely the kind of application I am looking for.
I think Iliad and Plastic logic have to see at some point of time, and I hope soon, that perhaps it would make lot of sense to look at the education market even before the business market.
Indigo Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Ink View Post
I think Iliad and Plastic logic have to see at some point of time, and I hope soon, that perhaps it would make lot of sense to look at the education market even before the business market.
The business market has more money than the education market, of course. But the education users could undoubtedly benefit hugely from this kind of application on the iLiad.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

So.... any further interest in this, now that we have the sources for the existing iLiad software? I think this could be a "killer app" on the iLiad.