Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
vnesheim
vnesheim began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone3G
How to get books to iphone when wifi is broken?

New to this forum - my iphone wifi is DEAD. They will not fix - well, they will, for $200. Uhhhhh, NO. New phone coming out in a few months, I'll hog 3G bandwidth until then - that'll teach them, no matter how slow it is compared to my WIFI!!!!

So - is there anyway to get my EPUB books into stanza without WIFI available on my iphone?

There's just gotta be. Say it's so, puh leaze!
vnesheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnesheim View Post
So - is there anyway to get my EPUB books into stanza without WIFI available on my iphone?
I don't have an iphone, but can you use a browser and go to your Calibre content server that way? You would need to set up your content server to be available from a public IP address (use dyndns.org, etc.).
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have my system set up to expose the Calibre catalog on the public internet so that I can get to it using 3G (as well as WiFi when at home).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
priscilla
priscilla began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS 600
You don't need your wi-fi to download if you are connected to your PC by USB cable and the PC is connected to the internet. You can use Stanza Desktop software to move epub books from your computer to your iphone.
priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Stanza cannot transfer books over the USB cable! Apple prohibit this.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I have my system set up to expose the Calibre catalog on the public internet so that I can get to it using 3G (as well as WiFi when at home).
That's how I'm set up, too, except that I don't use an iPhone, so I wasn't sure if that would work for him.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
vnesheim

itimpi,

How do I expose to public internet from PC??? I have LinkSys WRT54G and am fairly comfortable getting into it and snooping around - what do I set and How?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:53 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard

It depends on whether you have a consistent external IP address on your system (typically yes if you have cable broadband and no if you have ADSL broadband).

I have cable and my external IP address stays constant for months on end. I was therefore simply able to set an entry in my routers NAT (Network Address Translation) table mapping a port on the external IP address to the PC and Port required to access Calibre on my internal network. I then set up a Stanza catalog entry to use this external IP address and port.

If you have ADSL then you have to look at facilities like dyndns.org to get your external IP address handled in a dynamic way. As I do not use this facility I am not sure how it works. There will still be a requirement for the NAt table entry, but quite how this map to dyndns.org I am not sure. In this case the Stanza setup will involve using the dyndns.org address that has been set up.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:58 AM   #9
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
I have LinkSys WRT54G and am fairly comfortable getting into it and snooping around - what do I set and How?
I believe the WRT54G has integrated dyndns.org support. Go to dyndns.org, set up a free account. They will give you a free third level domain (yourname.dyndns.org) and your router will constantly update their DNS server. Then you get to your home address by going to yourname.dyndns.org. There are several free second level domains they offer.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
nchall114
Enthusiast
nchall114 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle for Android
put your library on dropbox for calibre and add dropbox as a source in stanza. start stanza, you only have to login once to dropbox, and everything will be organized and available.
nchall114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
vnesheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchall114 View Post
put your library on dropbox for calibre and add dropbox as a source in stanza. start stanza, you only have to login once to dropbox, and everything will be organized and available.
Do you mean install dropbox on my laptop (did this) put an epub book in the dropbox folder (did this). Then, did you mean start stanza on my iphone (did this), go to Get Books (did this) go to Edit (did this), Add Book Source (did this by using Enter Catalog Name: DropBox and URL: www.dropbox.com. Nothing happens. Also tried www.dropbox.com\ and www.dropbox.com\login. Nothing happens, application times out after searching and say Catalog Error: Errord reading catalog data. Please try again later.

Can't help but think I'm missing some crucial step that's probably second nature to you, but unknown to a newbie like me. I really like the DropBox site, after I figured out that's what is was, an application & website. At first, I thought is was something in the iphone I was looking for. After I spent 20 minutes looking for it, I finally did a google and discovered it.

I see they also have an iphone version - do I need to install it on my iphone as well, is that what I'm missing? If I don't hear back from someone soon, I'll try that.

Bottom line is Apple/ATT stink because my WIFI chip is broken and they would rather I hog 3G bandwidth than fix my phone without charging me $200 for a new phone. Sorry corporate buttheads, I will live with it until the new phones come out ... or maybe that new droid HTC EVO is looking better and better....

Thanks for any help in advance. I LOVE reading on my iphone but I'm outta books.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
itimpi
Wizard

The URL you need in Stanza will need to be one that is custom to your DropBox account.

I am not a DropBox user myself, but the tutorial here on setting up DropBox to work with Calibre2Opds generated catalogs may give you the clue to the missing information you need about the URL to be used to access DropBox.

You may find you also want to use the Calibre2opds tool to give you Stanza friendly catalogs.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I see they also have an iphone version - do I need to install it on my iphone as well, is that what I'm missing?
I don't have an iPhone, but you answered your own question above.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-24-2010 at 01:31 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:15 AM   #14
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I don't have an iPhone, but you answered your own question above.
Actually he did not! You do not need DropBox installed on your iPhone to be able to use books stored on DropBox from Stanza.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:27 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Actually he did not! You do not need DropBox installed on your iPhone to be able to use books stored on DropBox from Stanza.
I stand corrected, it seemed like that is what nchall114 was saying. I'm sure vnesheim will be thankful that someone qualified in the process stopped by to help out.

I myself, am confused why I didn't see your answer before I posted hours after you.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-24-2010 at 01:30 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote