Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: March 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Tunnel People by Teun Voeten 8 12.70%
Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingstone by Martin Dugard 5 7.94%
Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne 2 3.17%
Progress and Poverty by Henry George 2 3.17%
Orthodoxy by GK Chesterton 11 17.46%
The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin 15 23.81%
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand 10 15.87%
Nobility of Spirit: A Forgotten Ideal by Rob Riemen 2 3.17%
Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff 8 12.70%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Simcoe View Post
Game over ...
"Voters: 63. This poll is closed"
Ah well. I was hoping the better book would have won.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #32
CHunter_Author
Zealot
CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I hardly read non-fiction but that Cleopatra book is a page turner. No wonder it's an award winner.
CHunter_Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #33
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The winner is the only one I've read, so very many years ago that I'll give it a go again. Several of the others are now on my TBR list, including the runner-up (which had my vote). Special thanks for the nomination of Nobility of Spirit.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #34
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Hey, my first choice would have been from a couple of the books nominated, but didn't even make it to the vote. That said there is only one of the set that did come into the voting, well maybe two, that I would have declined to participate had either won. But then I'm just not a sky pilot type of guy.

It is a bit much to pronounce one book (I presume you mean Unbroken) as the "better book." I don't see that anyone can say that, except as just as more "I liked this one more" sense about what are all good books. Not that one cannot say one book is better than another, as for example The Trial is better than The Da Vinci Code.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #35
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Honestly Jon... By what measure was your pick the better one? The one that the most people wanted to read was the winner.

Has there *ever* been a Book Club vote that you have ever agreed with???
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #36
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Well, I probably won't be reading this month's book, but I'm really pleased to see a couple of the other nominees really spark my interest. So I'm a happy camper anyway!
After all, if everyone liked the same stuff I do this world would be really weird place!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #37
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The winner is the only one I've read, so very many years ago that I'll give it a go again. Several of the others are now on my TBR list, including the runner-up (which had my vote). Special thanks for the nomination of Nobility of Spirit.
I imagine that I can thank you for those, as I think it was me that proposed the book. I just finished it. It is a little book, and somehow I am glad that it was not elected. After reading it I have serious doubts that it would have generated a lively discussion.

I read it hoping to find analysis and arguments of a certain "usefulness". About that I was deceived. But I found other things, maybe more important and maybe, on the long run, more profitable, for me at least. I found the stimulus to reread Thomas Mann and Goethe, which I have not been reading since my youth. Too bad that I will have to read them in Italian. I never shared the concept of the centrality of the German Culture of the author and of Mann, although I am a big admirer of it. Nevertheless the message reached me strong and clear and with it the motivation to look back in time and there find new energy and scope.

If anybody would like to discuss this interesting little book with me, just drop me a word in my personal page and I will open a thread to that purpose.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:04 AM   #38
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Honestly Jon... By what measure was your pick the better one? The one that the most people wanted to read was the winner.

Has there *ever* been a Book Club vote that you have ever agreed with???
No.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #39
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
My Library of America subscription book this month just happens to be a collection of Franklin's writings including the Autobiography. Looking forward to the discussion. Cheers.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #40
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I don't think I'm going to get to this one, this month, there is just too much going on in RL. It is, however, still towards the top of my Must Read list.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
From the little I've looked at the book, there seems to be a lot of his life missing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote