Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you delete a copy of the Koran?
Yes 67 54.92%
No 55 45.08%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2010, 05:42 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Would you delete a copy of the Koran?

There has been controversy recently in the press (and parts of the the rabidly religious world) about people burning the Koran (and other religious books).
Would you delete a copy of the Koran from your liseuse?
Do you believe it would resonate as badly as burning a paper copy of the book?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
The poll does not apply as I do not have a copy on my reader and have no intention of doing so just yet.

I have no informed opinion of the Koran as I have not read it.

I may at some time read a translation so I can make up my own mind.
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You would learn a great deal more if you were to read it, rather than delete it. People are fearful of what they don't understand.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Sometimes I feel like giving it a go - but then I think the only reason I'd read the Koran, rather than any other religious text, is because of the atrocities carried out by its fundamentalist adherents; and I wouldn't want to feel they'd manipulated my reading habits by their actions.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
ellimak
I spit hot fire
ellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Nook, or as I call him, Sir Nookington
Certainly not. Putting aside the fact that I believe the Qur'an is a great work of poetry on its own and that I have spent the majority of my academic career studying it, deleting a copy simply wouldn't have the same resonance as burning a paper book. For starters, who would even know that I had done it? Without creating a public display of Qur'an deleting (and imagine how boring that would be), what would be the point?

Plus, it's just not a nice thing to do. I suppose if I read it for the first time and simply decided that it was uninteresting, I might delete it to free up some space. Realistically though, given that an ereader gives the average user an essentially unlimited amount of space, even that sort of deletion doesn't really hold water. But to delete a copy of the Qur'an out of spite? There's just no valid cause for that.
ellimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellimak View Post
Certainly not. Putting aside the fact that I believe the Qur'an is a great work of poetry on its own...
Do you have to read it in Arabic to appreciate the poetry?
(What's the best English translation?)
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I've read portions for a religions class, but feel neither one way nor another about it. I don't have on my reading device, but if I did, and didn't want it anymore, yes, I would delete it. Just as I would for any other religious text I placed it on the device.

Besisdes, I back up all my books, so removing it from my device means nothing, just that I am not carrying it around.

The real questions should probably be, "Would you delete the Koran as a form of protest or political/religious statement?" Either way, deleting ebooks is more private than burning books, so no impact would be seen.

I am against all book burnings, unless it is for the purpose of keeping warm and there is nothing else to use, i.e. wood. And religious texts would be the last to be burned, no matter what religion.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
ellimak
I spit hot fire
ellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Nook, or as I call him, Sir Nookington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Do you have to read it in Arabic to appreciate the poetry?
(What's the best English translation?)
Not at all! Of course, it's best to read it in the Arabic, but I understand it very minimally and was able to come away with an appreciation of the artistry of the original verse. My favorite translation is the Muhammad Asad translation (titled Message of the Qur'an, you can read it online here: http://www.islamicbulletin.com/free_...quran_asad.htm). It's great because it provides tons of context, which is extremely helpful to anyone who is really trying to understand Islam as it relates to culture (and Arab culture in particular). There are tons of other great translations though. The Hilali/Khan translation is the one that is most used in your average American mosque, for example.

There's also tons of exegesis out there on the Qur'an, which I doubt most people would be interested in. However, it's good to remember that those interpretations exist because it underscores the fact that Islam, along with all other religious traditions, does not exist as a monolith.
ellimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #9
Druid_Elf
Zealot
Druid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I don't see the point in it. There is no statement in burning / deleting an (e)book.
ok,maybe 1, that from being an ignorant person.
I have some other controverse books in my e-library not to create some schock effect but just because out of curiosity.
But you can always create a copy of the ebook and delete that one if it makes you feel better
Druid_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
How about:

Would you burn every religious book if 100% guaranteed to get rid of religion once and for all and for good?
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I might delete a copy of the Koran in just the same way that I might delete a copy of any other book - because for me it is just a book. What I wouldn't do is delete a copy of the Koran as an expression of some anti-Islamic sentiment or as some kind of act of provocation - which seems to be what motivates the current spate of book-burning.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #12
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Doesn't it help their cause if you burn their book?

They get the cash which helps their company and they can always make more for less than what they sold the one that got burnt.

If I am making bibles for 2 dollars each and selling for 10 than I would want many of them burnt so I can resell as many of them as I can.

I would even set aside a few thousand with the sole purpose of being there to be burnt.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #13
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
I have not read the book, and don't believe I ever will. It's not my type of fiction.
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #14
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Forgive me, but the question sounds a bit silly to me. I download and delete books all the time on/from my reader. I have downloaded and deleted several versions of the bible, because I wasn't happy with the formatting. I have owned a couple of paper versions of the bible and got rid of at least one of them (sold it). Although I feel much worse throwing away a paper book than I do deleting an electronic one, there's no big deal in either action, except if I make a big deal of it by staging a public autodafe and making sure that the people who would care about such things are informed of my act and know that I am doing it precisely because they care. Burning a book is only reprehensible because of the symbol it represents, of hatred and intolerance. In itself it's a wasteful act, nothing more, unless you're burning the last existing copy or one of the last few existing copies.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #15
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Would I delete it from my Kindles? Only if I was bored with it. Have I read it? No. Not really my cup of tea...but then again, I'm not really interested in reading the bible either.

Do I think any book should be burned? Absolutely not.
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote