Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 07-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #316
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
mtravellerh
Quote:
I will send a second email to you containing a unique reference code so you can provide your payment details nearer the delivery date. Your COOL-ER will then be dispatched to arrive with you at the beginning of July.
Have you had your 2nd email yet? Are they actually shipping in July? Don't want to order one (for OtherHalf) until they've finished building them!
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #317
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sony_fox View Post
mtravellerh

Have you had your 2nd email yet? Are they actually shipping in July? Don't want to order one (for OtherHalf) until they've finished building them!
I got my confirmation email today.

Quote:
You are receiving this email because you recently submitted a COOL-ER pre-order form.
You are 3 steps away from completing your order.
1. Click the link below or copy and paste it into your internet browser to call up the page
2. Submit your unique pre-order reference number noted below
3. Complete the payment details screen and confirm your delivery details
So they should be shipping them in theory. :-)

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #318
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sony_fox View Post
mtravellerh

Me either. I'll just wait for them to finish it.

Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #319
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill74 View Post
Me either. I'll just wait for them to finish it.
I actually paid yesterday. Waiting for the shipping here.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #320
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Well, the big question for someone to answer is how many levels of grayscale will this device really support, 8 or 4.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #321
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Cool-er is Mentor Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Well, the big question for someone to answer is how many levels of grayscale will this device really support, 8 or 4.

Dale
The Cool-er and Mentor Lite are essentailly the same. 4 levels of grey scale and neither has the Epson.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #322
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
We need some good ePub and/or PDF test documents with images (to test ADE), as well as stand-alone images (to test the image viewer). There are candidates in Manga on Kindle/Cybook/V3 - Automatic Photoshop Image Conversion! and More display issues on the DR.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #323
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
4 levels of grey scale and neither has the Epson.
Are you sure?

http://www.coolreaders.com/specifications.asp:
Code:
Screen
Levels of Greyscale  	8
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #324
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
We need some good ePub and/or PDF test documents with images (to test ADE), as well as stand-alone images (to test the image viewer). There are candidates in Manga on Kindle/Cybook/V3 - Automatic Photoshop Image Conversion! and More display issues on the DR.
I'll keep that in mind
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #325
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Are you sure?

http://www.coolreaders.com/specifications.asp:
Code:
Screen
Levels of Greyscale  	8
Exactly, that is why I asked the question. We need to find out of they are mistaken and get the information corrected. To test you have to distinguish between hardware support and dithering. This may take a magnifying glass to see the speckles.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #326
mr.ninja13
mr.ninja13 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hi all,

I got my second mail this morning and when I came back from work my cool-er was waiting for me! :-)

I did not have any time to do any indepth tests, but the grayscale levels look definitely 8 to me, there's quite a noticeable difference compared to the Cybook screen.

Build quality is ok, on par with the cybook i'd say, it does actually look quite nice.

Regarding the "stiff" buttons, again they feel exactly as stiff as the ones on the bookeen, the fact that they're flush with the case make them slightly more awkard to operate.

And the packaging included a 3.5 to 2.5 jack converter!

Paolo
mr.ninja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #327
mr.ninja13

A couple of other points, the lack of documentation is quite shocking, there's no full manual on the device, and all what's available is the basic "quick start" guide.

The device feels quite faster than the cybook (booting, changing pages etc).

The default fonts are a bit underwhelming.

And it can read non-drm mobipocket prcs, although they load really slowly and the quality is frankly, a mess, with most tags ignored so that the book ends up being a massive uninterrupted text.

paolo
Old 07-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #328
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.ninja13 View Post
And it can read non-drm mobipocket prcs, although they load really slowly and the quality is frankly, a mess, with most tags ignored so that the book ends up being a massive uninterrupted text.
This sounds like FBReader. It processes the entire ebook on start-up, so it is slow initially and then fast from then on. It also does not put page breaks between chapters in MOBI (although it does in some other formats). Another "tell" for FBReader is that it does not allow access to the cover image. If it is using FBReader, then I would expect more formats than (PDF/ePub via ADE and): FB2, RTF, TXT, HTML, PRC. In particular, it should also support Plucker - however .pdb is so confusing that perhaps they decided to ignore all .pdb files rather than supporting only a couple of the many .pdb ebook formats.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #329
mr.ninja13

Wallcraft, yes that does make sense...

I cannot test other formats now, but it does behave exactly as you said (no covers shown for prcs for instance).

Upon cold boot it did display a message saying something like "loading nvx reader" or something like that (I can't rember the exact name now). This message is the same that in the pre-production shots on engadget said "loading FBReader".

Good to see that the cool-er does support other formats, but I think I'll keep my Cybook for reading prc files, unless the way mobipocket books are displayed on the cool-er improves in a future firmware update.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #330
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Thanks for all of the information! If you happen to have any impressions on battery life over the next couple of days I'd love to hear them (particularly compared with the Cybook)
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote