Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
VineGal
Enthusiast
VineGal began at the beginning.

Device: Still looking. (Trying Nook Tab and NookST, Don't meet needs)
KF slow, screen burnin, apps

Hi all

I'm hoping you can help.

I'm having several issues with my Kindle Fire
1. It's very slow booting up
2. Lags when typing on keyboard, webpages, and just navigating in general
3. Decreased battery time
4.Screen burn in? Can see some of the image from the previous page app browser etc
5.Videos sometime stop in middle.

I'm guessing part of the issues are due to having too many apps running, apps conflicting etc
Also maybe too much info in Cache

I'm not sure steps to resolve.

Also I'm looking for info on apps to keep my Kindle running smoothly such as
Some type of app monitor
Security
File explorer app
App to sync info wirelessly btw PC & KF

I know this is alot of info.

I appreciate your help in advance
Vinegal
VineGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It sounds like you got a rogue app wrecking havoc. You could try uninstalling each app till it runs okay but Amazon will tell you to do a factory reset.

Also you will get more help asking in the Kindle Fire forum. Maybe a Mod can move it there for you.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2012, 01:42 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF

Moved to the Kindle Fire forum - moderator
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It sounds like you got a rogue app wrecking havoc. You could try uninstalling each app till it runs okay but Amazon will tell you to do a factory reset.
I agree. LCD displays should not get "burn-in" causing ghosting. Any residual pixels must be a software problem. It *could* be a firmware or software bug, but unlikely. There is an old hacker tradition of creating malware that SIMULATES hardware problems, and this sounds like it could be the same thing.

Perhaps you have full memory from too many apps. Android runs on top of linux. Linux can kill processes when it runs out of memory, and perhaps the screen contains part of an image because something was killed while drawing to the screen.

You did not describe details of the onscreen stuff that you thought may be "burn-in" (ghosting). Perhaps a screenshot would show what you saw. Residual pixels that did not get redrawn are not burn-in.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-30-2012 at 09:37 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
If doing a factory reset does not fix it,I would definitely suggest calling customer support and see if they can provide a solution. They have about the best CS in the universe.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
Slow bootup is normal. I rarely shut down my Fire because of this and I don't understand why some people routinely do it unless they just don't know any better (not that there are not valid reasons to do it). A quick press of the power button and it's asleep and wakes up instantly.

Lag and decreased battery time do sound like a badly behaved app. badass battery manager has a per-app battery percentage counter that can be great for highlighting this sort of thing.

As for the screen burn-in (which is not really what it is but we know what you mean -- you can faintly see an afterimage of what was on the previous screen), I've read a few reports of it and the fix is to get a replacement from Amazon. It seems to exist to varying degrees on almost all Fires. I've seen it faintly on mine but not very often and not very noticeably.

I don't play videos on mine but there are lots of reasons a video might abort depending on what kind of video it is and how you are accessing it (streaming from amazon, playing from local storage, etc).
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Slow boot up is not normal on a Kindle Fire. It takes mine 30 seconds to boot up. You need to restart every so often to clear up memory and temp files. It's just like any other PC it needs a fresh start now and then.

Now Slow Boot up on a Kindle eInk is normal. It takes my K4 up two minutes to get to home page.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I was not aware of an LCD "burn-in" mechanism until now:
Quote:
In the case of LCDs, the mechanics of burn-in are different than plasma and OLED, which develop burn-in from luminance degradation of the light-emitting pixels. For LCDs, burn-in develops in some cases because pixels permanently lose their ability to return to their relaxed state after a continued static usage profile. In more typical usage profiles this image persistence in LCD is only transient.

Both plasma-type and LCD-type displays exhibit a similar phenomenon called transient image persistence, which is sometimes confused with screen burn but is not permanent. In the case of plasma-type displays transient image persistence is caused by charge build-up in the pixel cells (not cumulative luminance degradation as with burn-in), which can be seen sometimes when a bright image that was set against a dark background is replaced by a dark background only; this image retention is usually released once a typical-brightness image is displayed and does not inhibit the display's typical viewing image quality.
The above quote is from WikiPedia, and it makes sense. LCDs use a liquid that contains molecules that align to the electric field, and it could be possible for them to "polymerize" (stick together) when held in alignment with a static display for a long time. From what I read, it is not very common, so perhaps the Kindle Fires had a bad batch of LCDs that are more susceptible to this phenomenon.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:06 AM   #9
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Get a copy of the SanDisk Memory Zone app to see which apps are hogging your Fire for application size space as well as memory hogging. Then clean out the ones that are resource hungry. I agree a full cold boot every week is helpful to clean up some items

Another good app to get is a startup cleaner so YOU decide what apps start up in the \
boot sequence not the ap.

no need to completely shut it down when you are done though, just tap to put it to sleep if you are going to use it during the day.
I only shut down all the way every so often
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Slow boot up is not normal on a Kindle Fire. It takes mine 30 seconds to boot up. You need to restart every so often to clear up memory and temp files. It's just like any other PC it needs a fresh start now and then.
I consider 30 seconds kind of slow, but mine is way worse than that (hasn't always been that way). It all depends on what apps you have that start up at boot.

I do shut down completely every once in a while, just not very often - same with my pc too. I understand when it is helpful to do it and only do it then :-)
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduck View Post
I consider 30 seconds kind of slow, but mine is way worse than that (hasn't always been that way). It all depends on what apps you have that start up at boot.

I do shut down completely every once in a while, just not very often - same with my pc too. I understand when it is helpful to do it and only do it then :-)
30 seconds is pretty good for Android. My phone takes 2 minutes and the Colby Tablet I sent back took over a minute so I am happy with the boot time on my KF. I only have a few small apps on my KF. I lost my first one to app corruption and so I baby my KF now. I only added Netflix, Hulu Plus, Goodreads, ES File Explorer, Dropbox, Mantano, WiFi Switch, Quell, Screen Dim and Lock app installed. I know Amazon would not be happy if it broke again.