Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
ebookmax
ebookmax began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Faulty Screen on original Kobo bought from Borders Australia

I have my original kobo reader for about 3 months and last night, the screen degraded dramatically. Please see attached pic. Has anyone seen this? Can I bring it back to Borders Australia and get a new unit?

ebookmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookmax View Post
I have my original kobo reader for about 3 months and last night, the screen degraded dramatically. Please see attached pic. Has anyone seen this? Can I bring it back to Borders Australia and get a new unit?

ouch, that looks bad. I don't know what borders' return policy is but I know with chapters I could bring it in for exchange. They might not have the original anymore so they might have to send it in for repair, or you might be able to pay a bit extra to get the wifi version...
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That you have there is a broken screen. Broken screens usually are not covered. But it cannot hurt to ask.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Ouch!

That does look like the substrate is broken. Did you buy this at the Hay Street store or online?

Might be worth chatting with the store to discuss options first.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:24 AM   #5
ebookmax
ebookmax began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Ouch!

That does look like the substrate is broken. Did you buy this at the Hay Street store or online?

Might be worth chatting with the store to discuss options first.
I bought it at the Hay Street store.
The unit has never been dropped or bend.

ebookmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 04:44 AM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Give the Hay Street store a call.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha
EtherealWinter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I bought one from hay street and the screen end up like that after a month (probably crushed in my bag ), I brought it in and they exchanged it no questions asked, But I think they did give me a second hand one cause he brought out one, fiddle with it for a sec and said sorry i'll get you another one, this one already has documents on it, I was fine with getting a second hand one though, as the kobo was brand new when it happened to me.
EtherealWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Yup, I broke my screen yesterday. Accidently leaned on the screen when I tried to push it away from me and my kobo now looks like yours. Can't even buy a new one right now as everybody is sold out.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Yup, I broke my screen yesterday. Accidently leaned on the screen when I tried to push it away from me and my kobo now looks like yours. Can't even buy a new one right now as everybody is sold out.
That is so sad
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Have you tried it with a different book?
Maybe the Kobo just chucked a fit at 'eat, love pray'?

... i know i would
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #11
terifili
Enthusiast
terifili doesn't litterterifili doesn't litter

A friend of mine had the same problem, they took it back no problem. Email them!
terifili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #12
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I think they take returns pretty good
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #13
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

I had no probs with Borders helping out when my original Kobo had a seizure ~ they were extremely helpful.

However, when I was in the same store about 2 weeks ago, they only had wi-fi versions on the shelf.

Hope you manage to sort something out which is acceptable to you
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:25 AM   #14
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
The technology is new, but not very complex. I can't really see it costing $150 to make one of these, so hopefully it won't be a big deal to replace.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #15
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
The technology is new, but not very complex. I can't really see it costing $150 to make one of these, so hopefully it won't be a big deal to replace.
Sadly not. In quantity, the 6" eInk screens cost about $90. Single unit replacements (IF you can find them) run from $150 - $200.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote