Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #121
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you use them in KF8 eBooks, you will definitely notice a difference.

On a Kindle Touch, how does one take a screen shot? I'll post a screen shot if I can get one.
Push home button for about 2 sec, keep pushing and touch screen - then let go of button and screen - you will see a flash for a page update, and you stay on the page. If you went home, it failed to take the ss. They are saved on the usb-drive in root folder.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #122
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Push home button for about 2 sec, keep pushing and touch screen - then let go of button and screen - you will see a flash for a page update, and you stay on the page. If you went home, it failed to take the ss. They are saved on the usb-drive in root folder.
Thank you. I'll get some screen shots tomorrow.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #123
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
TheSans looks really good on the PW! I used this on my old Pocket Pro but had no idea how good it looks on the PW till I tried it. What I like is how small and compact is on setting 5 and how many words it can fit on a page and it is very readable.

I used the Semi Bold and Semi Bold Italic for Regular and Italic. Normal Bold and Bold Italic for the others. It didn't need any other modding except to change the classifications and link the families together.

I attached a screenshot. The second screenshot is of Caecilia Condensed from the K4. As you can see it is not the same font from the PW. At size 5 it's much bigger. I still like it though. I've been using it instead of Amasis tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_01_16T02_31_42-0501.png
Views:	508
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	99474   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_01_16T02_31_58-0501.png
Views:	572
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	99475  
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #124
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
I only added CharisSil but somehow ended up having HYGothic, MYing Hei T, MT Chinese Surrogate, TB Gothicm HYMyeonJo, MKai PRC I have no idea where did all these Chinese like things come from...
I also downloaded the ones Xendula recommended - Adobe Caslon Pro, Minion Pro and Constantia - but I'll try them out tomorrow, enough restarting PW for the first day
The fonts are part of the firmware. They just do not show up on un-modified Kindle. If you place the USE_ALT_FONTS file to the root, the Kindle will display those fonts PLUS it will offer you your fonts.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #125
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Does this work on PW as well? Blossom wanted to see some of the fonts on PW (which I am planning on installing soon) but I have no idea how to take a screen shot
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #126
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Does this work on PW as well? Blossom wanted to see some of the fonts on PW (which I am planning on installing soon) but I have no idea how to take a screen shot
No, on the PW you tap the upper right corner and the lower left at the same time. Screen flashes and the screenshot is saved in the root directory.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #127
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
No, on the PW you tap the upper right corner and the lower left at the same time. Screen flashes and the screenshot is saved in the root directory.
I am checking it out but screen is not flashing
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #128
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
It takes some practice. Upper RIGHT corner (where the bookmark is) Lower LEFT corner where the Time To Read is. It flashes quickly which means it took a screen shot.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #129
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Am I the only one who hates hyphenation in epubs? Drives me batty. I love the Kindle doesn't have this feature. The extra font sizes sound nice though but still my PW is too precious to play with. You never know what the next firmware update is going to do or be pushed out.
I hate that the Kindle does not have hyphenation. There are languages with really long words, like German with its compound words (you can stick any number of words together to create new words), so books look really weird because of the missing hyphenation.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #130
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Like Blossom said, it may take a bit of practice to make sure you are touching both corners at the exact same time. You'll know you got it when the screen flashes.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #131
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I hate that the Kindle does not have hyphenation. There are languages with really long words, like German with its compound words (you can stick any number of words together to create new words), so books look really weird because of the missing hyphenation.
I could never quite put my finger on what seemed different about reading on my e-readers until I did the JBPatch and added hyphenations...now I find it extremely distracting without them. The flow is much more natural to me having hyphenations... I will be very irritated if Amazon does something that removes them again! (I'm sure Amazon is listening )
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #132
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Edit: I found a better font. If anyone is looking for something similar, this is what I found. The first one is Fanwood Text, the second is called Adamina. In the screenshot, it is harder to tell the difference between the two but on the Paperwhite the Adamina is just large enough for me to read clearly, but not too large.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_01_16T18_33_32-0458.png
Views:	473
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	99530   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_01_16T20_03_27-0458.png
Views:	498
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	99531  

Last edited by sneakyspider; 01-16-2013 at 08:09 PM.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #133
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ Those are nice!!
[OT: Good book, too! If you like it, give Mystic City a shot.]
Old 01-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #134
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
I could never quite put my finger on what seemed different about reading on my e-readers until I did the JBPatch and added hyphenations...now I find it extremely distracting without them. The flow is much more natural to me having hyphenations... I will be very irritated if Amazon does something that removes them again! (I'm sure Amazon is listening )
I wish they just added the functionality and make it optional, since I don't want to jailbreak my device.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #135
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Duckie -- Comic is my goto font. However, as you said, it only had files for regular and bold. Did I understand you to say that you can just put those 2 files in the fonts folder and it works? I duplicated the two files and and named the regular dupe as italics and bold dupe as bolditalics. It all works, even italics, but could I have gotten by with just 2 files in fonts folder?
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote