Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Need help with search syntax

Say I want to search for all tags that contain the word "History" ... how do I do that? For example, I may have 14 different tags, each containing the word "History" (ie, European History, Asian History, American History) and I want to show all the books containing any of those 14 tags at once.

How do I do the search query?

TIA,
Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I looked in the Calibre help manual but could not find the answer to that question. So is there another place which has some comprehensive information on searching in Calibre?

I would also like to know how to create a search (or virtual library) that shows ALL tags in the library except for a few specific ones. For example-- show all library books except for the ones tagged with "European History" or "American History."

--Pat
Advert
Old 05-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Say I want to search for all tags that contain the word "History" ... how do I do that? For example, I may have 14 different tags, each containing the word "History" (ie, European History, Asian History, American History) and I want to show all the books containing any of those 14 tags at once.

How do I do the search query?

TIA,
Pat
Simplest: tags:History (no = sign)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
PatNY
Zennist

Thanks Ducks! I tried that but it didn't work because I had a space after the colon. Your formula works.

Now, if I want all books to show except for those with either of two tags, how would I do that?
Old 05-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Thanks Ducks! I tried that but it didn't work because I had a space after the colon. Your formula works.

Now, if I want all books to show except for those with either of two tags, how would I do that?
put a not in front:
not tags:history
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You might also find cases where you want something like
Code:
tags:history and not tags:"European History"
where the quotes delimit multiple words that need to be found in the exact order given.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
PatNY
Zennist

Thanks Ducks and itimpi! Worked perfectly.

--Pat