Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
john07961
john07961 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505 and Bookeen Gem3
New Cybook Gen3

I have today received the Cybook Gem3 that I ordered.

I am sorry to say that I cannot get this equipment to work correctly. Having turned it on I then get a screen that is covered in a diagonal chequer board type pattern and am now unable to turn it off. I have tried resetting but with no effect.

Would someone be kind enough to contact me and let me know how to solve this problem as soon as possible.

Thanks

John
john07961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by john07961 View Post
I have today received the Cybook Gem3 that I ordered.

I am sorry to say that I cannot get this equipment to work correctly. Having turned it on I then get a screen that is covered in a diagonal chequer board type pattern and am now unable to turn it off. I have tried resetting but with no effect.

Would someone be kind enough to contact me and let me know how to solve this problem as soon as possible.

Thanks

John
Try the solutions listed here where it talks about the Cybook 'freezing up'.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Are you sure it is fully charged?
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:22 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A checkerboard pattern indicates that the Gen3 is unable to read its firmware.

Make sure that it's fully charged. If that doesn't solve the problem, do a firmware reflash - that should sort it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:56 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A checkerboard pattern indicates that the Gen3 is unable to read its firmware.
No, it does not. Or there are at least other way to get the pattern and I do not understand how you can know that being unable to read the firmware can cause the checkerboard pattern since there is no way to confirm that the firmware cannot be read (the files in the system folder is not the firmware).

You get the checkerboard pattern if the system folder cannot be read or if the disk were the system folder is placed cannot be read.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2008, 05:25 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The system files are a part of the firmware - they are replaced when you do a reflash. As you say, it could be due to a corrupt file system in the internal memory - the user should check this using "chkdsk" (if it gets as far as displaying a checkerboard it should mount as USB). Reformatting the internal disk (as FAT32) and then doing a reflash (to restore the system folder) should get things working again.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:26 AM   #7
john07961

Sorry guys but am not technically minded enough to know how to do half the things that have been suggested.
So far have made sure the ybook is fully charged re-downloaded a system file and reset. Now I get a miniture picture of start up page and plus three black dots and that is it.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:29 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Connect the Gen3 to your PC - you should see two additional drives appear in Windows Explorer. Right click on the one with the higher drive letter - that's the internal file system of the Gen3. From the popup menu select "Properties". Go to the "Tools" tab of the dialog box and click the "Check this drive for errors" button.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry guys but am not technically minded enough to know how to do half the things that have been suggested.
So far have made sure the ybook is fully charged re-downloaded a system file and reset. Now I get a miniture picture of start up page and plus three black dots and that is it.
John,

At this point, either you've got so many new ebooks on the SD card or which you've added to the main memory of the Cybook that the Cybook is chugging through trying to create thumbnail images - or - you've still got a corrupted filesystem. If the former, let it sit and work its way through. If after several hours it still hasn't moved to the Library screen, then you've proved it's the latter issue.

The best fix for that is to download a copy of the latest firmware update from Cybook's store (the link on their blog takes you to the register/sign-in page) and follow their instructions to install it.

Derek
Old 05-28-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Oh and one thing to mention - if you've got an SD card in the machine, take it out. A corrupt file system on the SD card can make it "hang" on boot-up in exactly the manner you describe.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #11
john07961

Just to say thank you to everyone who has taken the time to help me out with my teething problems with my CyBook Gen3.

I have deleted all the documents and books that I had installed (I must admit that I got carried away and uploaded more than I should have and as a result slowed the poor reader right down) Have also reinstalled a system file that was missing.

Now all seems to be well so long as I leave the SD card out, at least this seams to be the case.

Once again many thanks to you all

John
Old 05-29-2008, 07:36 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Just to say thank you to everyone who has taken the time to help me out with my teething problems with my CyBook Gen3.

I have deleted all the documents and books that I had installed (I must admit that I got carried away and uploaded more than I should have and as a result slowed the poor reader right down) Have also reinstalled a system file that was missing.

Now all seems to be well so long as I leave the SD card out, at least this seams to be the case.

Once again many thanks to you all

John
John,

You *should* be able to 'fix' the SD card problem by erasing all the files from it (or tranferring them to a folder on your PC), formatting the SD card to FAT32 and then moving a few across, sticking it into the Cybook, letting the Cybook recognize the new ones and generate thumbnail files, loading a few more files... repeating as needed until all the ebooks are on the SD card. I know, it's a long, involved process, but it *SHOULD* work.

Derek
Old 05-30-2008, 02:13 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've not found any issues myself with adding a lot of files to the SD card in one go. John fairly clearly has a corrupt file system on his SD card - reformatting should fix that. Copying across as many files as you want shouldn't be an issue - the vital thing is to ALWAYS use the "Safely Remove Hardware" tool before unplugging the Gen3; my suspicion is that this is how many people manage to corrupt their SD cards.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've not found any issues myself with adding a lot of files to the SD card in one go. John fairly clearly has a corrupt file system on his SD card - reformatting should fix that. Copying across as many files as you want shouldn't be an issue - the vital thing is to ALWAYS use the "Safely Remove Hardware" tool before unplugging the Gen3; my suspicion is that this is how many people manage to corrupt their SD cards.
while possible most XP systems are now set to safe mode which prevents this kind of corruption pretty well unless they are removing the card while the light is still flashing (actually performing the write operation). I have done lots of customer support on PDA's using SD cards and have not seen this type of problem. I think the Cybook itself is corrupting the cards in the majority of cases due to the way it is being used. Poor interrupt handling or some other bug in the system that appears when the user does something the machine did not expect and was not programmed to deal with. There are way too many people having problems with this.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

But the question is, what are people who ARE having the problem doing that those of us who DON'T have the problem AREN'T doing? That's the mystery!