Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-11-2013, 01:50 AM   #1
bfdream
bfdream began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen(2)
Smile How to read pdf in Kindle PW2

I have purchased a KPW2, and it is very good except the pdf reading problem.
When I open a pdf, Kindle shows the "low memory" error very often, and sometimes it reboots.

This problem happens for both small and large size pdf file, and my friend has the KPW1 with 5.3.5 firmware which can read pdf normally. So I think it seems that it is a bug in the 5.4.0 firmware.

I think there are maybe three methods to solve this:
1. wait for the new 5.4.X firmware by Amazon,
2. wait for the jailbreak, and install koreader,
3. convert pdf to mobi or azw format.

The first two methods are not available currently, we have to wait.
For the third method, I do not know how to convert the pdf to mobi/azw perfectly. I have tried the amzon online converting by the email, but the output is ugly.

Can anybody shows a good method of converting pdf to mobi/azw.
bfdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
bookzLove
bookzLove will become famous soon enoughbookzLove will become famous soon enoughbookzLove will become famous soon enoughbookzLove will become famous soon enoughbookzLove will become famous soon enoughbookzLove will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW1
i am glad i am one of those many people who still uses a KPW1.
bookzLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdream View Post
Can anybody shows a good method of converting pdf to mobi/azw.
You could also try the following:
  1. Convert the PDF with Calibre to AZW3 with all Heuristic Processing options enabled, which occasionally creates a somewhat better output for text only .pdf files
  2. Resize the PDF file for 6" screens with k2pdfopt
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:09 AM   #4
bfdream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You could also try the following:
  1. Convert the PDF with Calibre to AZW3 with all Heuristic Processing options enabled, which occasionally creates a somewhat better output for text only .pdf files
  2. Resize the PDF file for 6" screens with k2pdfopt
Thank you. I will test Calibre.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:07 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
PDF is not an eBook format. A PDF document does not contain text, and will convert very poorly to other formats. As discussed in an awful lot of different threads on this site, a 6" eInk device is an extremely poor choice for PDF reading, which hopefully you were aware of before buying the PW?

If you really, really MUST convert PDF to another format, a decent OCR program such as Abbyy FineReader is generally the best way to do the job.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Belenos
Connoisseur
Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.Belenos got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PW
k2pdfopt should solve all your problems.
Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
bfdream

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
PDF is not an eBook format. A PDF document does not contain text, and will convert very poorly to other formats. As discussed in an awful lot of different threads on this site, a 6" eInk device is an extremely poor choice for PDF reading, which hopefully you were aware of before buying the PW?

If you really, really MUST convert PDF to another format, a decent OCR program such as Abbyy FineReader is generally the best way to do the job.
Thank you very much. I just want my Kindle to be perfect, and the primary usage is still the book purchased from Amazon
Old 11-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
bfdream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
k2pdfopt should solve all your problems.
I think that k2pdfopt can be used for handling pdf file only, make that suitable for 6-inch reading, but it is still pdf format, not other ebook formats.

My KPW2's problem is that it always shows the "low memory" error when I open pdf.