Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #91
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
So, Tony1988, How soon will you be getting one? We all want to hear your opinion of it once you have one. Pictures would be good!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, buttons are going away. The only thing I can say is get over it. The new nook doesn't have button. Amazon did away with page turn buttons on the Kindle Touch and they have not looked back. I have page turn buttons on my 650 and other then to test them out when it was new, I've not used them since. I'm happy that the bezel is going to be smooth instead of the lines the STR has on the bezel.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #93
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Shouldnt 700 books be enough for anyone though?? I also one of the few here who like the look of this reader and do not think page turn buttons or an sd card slot should matter any longer. I am sure they left those two out to keep price down. I also love the white bezel. I see no difference in reading on a black or white device. I am sure they will.come in black eventually.

I think many here are being wayyyy to hard on this device.
I have at over 10k books that are on my Nook Simple Touch, and only half of them are from B&N. The new Nook Glow won't even hold all of my B&N ebooks. I like knowing that all of my books are on my Nook, and I don't have to decide in advance what I'm going to read or find an open wifi so that I can swap books to read. I don't use the page turn buttons that much, so I probably won't miss them that much, and the color of the bezel is more of a "meh" thing for me as well, although I'm concerned that a darker bezel will make the screen's contrast will look better.

Yes, I'm an ebook hoarder, and B&N is telling me more and more that I should be looking elsewhere for my ebook reading experience. I don't know, maybe B&N has their readers phone home and they can see that most of the ebook readers don't have SD cards installed, but my guess is that nearly every Nook owner who has an SD card installed will never buy the new Nook Glow.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #94
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, buttons are going away. The only thing I can say is get over it.
How charming!

I have a slightly different recommendation, one I'm following: don't buy it. And please do feel free to complain about losing features you like. That, and voting with your wallets, are the best way to get them back.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #95
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Well i just checked it out, i have a bn 2 miles from my house. It looks great.
I tested the glow light and as some online reviewers said its a huge improvement from the previous model. Its evenly distributed except for slignt shadows at the top where the light originates.This does not interfere with the text at all. It does have a bluish tint, but no lighted ereader i have seen mimicks a lighted paper page properly at all. Lighted ereaders are what what they are...... a lighted screen and they all look it, bluish, whitish or yellowish doesnt matter as far as i am concerned. Bottom line it looked nice.

Happily I noticed no light pinholes at all on the device. It feels great, comfortable, feels like it is coated with silicon. Very light and thin. It was hard to hold it completely because it was plugged into its charging tether. I didnt spend too much time messing with settings. Though i do wish that nook, kobo and kindle would have a margin format that could fit more text on the screen. (One of the things i like about my prs 650)

I am also happy to report that the white bezel does not interfere at all with the reading experience. The text looked just as crisp and clear as any reader i have ever used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
So, Tony1988, How soon will you be getting one? We all want to hear your opinion of it once you have one. Pictures would be good!
I just got a used prs 650 to hold me over. After hearing all the issues people were have with their kobo auras (which i wanted to get) i decided to hold off.

Since i was able to see a nook glowlight in person, i may get it. I liked what i saw. But i have patience and will wait for user reviews.

Last edited by Tony1988; 10-30-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #96
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Maybe if Nook got the light right this time, then they will have an advantage over Kobo and Kindle after all.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #97
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Well i just checked it out, i have a bn 2 miles from my house. It looks great. I tested the glow light and as some online reviewers said its a huge improvement from the previous model. . . . Since i was able to see a nook glowlight in person, i may get it. I liked what i saw. But i have patience and will wait for user reviews.
It's nearly impossible to be certain how a gadget looks and feels until you handle it in person.

This conversation has happened a lot on ye olde internet:

1. "X looks ugly in that photo."
2. "X looks ugly. I'd never buy one."
3. "I saw X in person and it looked really good. Photos don't do it justice."
4. "Hey, you're right. I bought X and love it."
5. "X is great."
6. (Troll or novice) "No, it isn't. Look at this photo."
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #98
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
It's nearly impossible to be certain how a gadget looks and feels until you handle it in person.

This conversation has happened a lot on ye olde internet:

1. "X looks ugly in that photo."
2. "X looks ugly. I'd never buy one."
3. "I saw X in person and it looked great. Photos don't do it justice."
4. "Hey, you're right. I bought X and love it."
5. "X is great."
6. (Troll or novice) "No, it isn't. Look at this photo."
Sure and thats why i checked it out. It really is a nice little reader. For 119 bucks (just 20 bucks more that the previous glow is right now) i think its worth it for an updated screen, light and refreshed bezel. Yeah software speaking it doesnt offer much new for the reading experience, but you know after seeing kobo and kindles new offerings they really dont either.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Speaking of reading experience, what new can be added (software) to what we already have to give a new reading experience?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #100
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
B&N should offer free black skins to cover the ugly white bezel.
This!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #101
Tony1988
Guru

Quote:
Speaking of reading experience, what new can be added (software) to what we already have to give a new reading experience?
Not much. Which is why i was puzzled by all the negativity here.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #102
fencepost
fencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Vibrant (Android)
I think the new one looks ok, but I'm not in the market for one and wouldn't buy it even if I was - I'm not their demographic despite having a STR, HD and HD+ (STR rooted, HD/HD+ on Cyanogenmod).

If it had page turning buttons I might eventually get my wife switched over - she hates touchscreens with a passion, so she's on the very low-end Kindle. Since she sideloads most of her stuff anyway I'm sure I could reformat most of it, and she's the demographic they're looking for - she's killed 1 Kindle through use, alternates between a Kindle with keyboard and the page-button-only one, and spends I think around $40-50/month on ebooks.

What I would've loved to see in it is the side bezels at least 1/4" (1/2"? I'd need to measure) narrower, page turn buttons more like what Kindles used to have (I like that the STR has them, I don't like the implementation), and an SD card. I've always felt that the bezels were needlessly wide, but obviously the BN folks disagree.

The new one is the same width as the HD that I can carry in a pocket in most of my pants, they just chopped 1.65" of height off the thing to make it mostly square - I stopped reading most square-format books about 40 years ago.
fencepost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #103
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Most of the shortcomings here are probably a result of stretching for that $120 price point. I've been waiting to see what B&N would put out and I will drop by a store to check it out, but based on what I've seen so far, I'll probably pass on it. I haven't written off the PW2, but I'm leaning toward the Aura HD.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #104
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I personally don't use them, but shelves seem to be a sore point with Nooks.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #105
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Well i was talking about the ad-less one for 139. As for the white. I have a silver sony 350 and a black 650. Both are just as pleasing to the eye when reading on them. I think the whole white ruins the contrast thing is a bunch of mental bs. The white imo is sharp looking. I am sure black will emerge eventually. I very greatly doubt the white color will turn non-mobileread consumers off. This new nook looks sturdier than the rest. It has the cool rubber bumper.
What about the 3g model? It's even more expensive. Regardless, the base models are the same price.

Both of your Sonys are just as pleasing to YOUR eye, not MY eye.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote