Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #31
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontaylor7 View Post
In my case I don't have an rtf source so I still don't know what to do. I have a mobi source and I want to convert it to epub. The right thing is to rewrite calibre so it stops ignoring tabs IMO. But, in the meantime, does anyone know of a workaround for me?
Yeah, start a thread specific to YOUR problem - converting MOBI to EPUB

Experts in doing that aren't even going to see your problem in here because its about converting RTF to MOBI - chalk and cheese, grapes and bananas

css - Confederate State Ships - probably would have used semaphore flags

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-09-2013 at 05:29 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #32
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
In my case I don't have an rtf source so I still don't know what to do. I have a mobi source and I want to convert it to epub. The right thing is to rewrite calibre so it stops ignoring tabs IMO. But, in the meantime, does anyone know of a workaround for me?
As PeterT has already pointed out Tabs and indents are two different things. Additionally RTF and Mobi are very different formats if you are having trouble converting a mobi file to epub start a new thread and give us the needed details.

Read this sticky post "How to ask a question about conversion problems" for info on how to request help in the new thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I do is convert using Calibre and then I use Sigil to rename the XML files so the names make sense. I also edit the CSS/XML as needed. So if I don't have indents, I edit the CSS to put in indents. It's not that difficult to do. You know the old saying...

GARBAGE IN, GARBAGE OUT!

Your Mobi is GARBAGE IN.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #34
jasontaylor7
Blacklisted
jasontaylor7 began at the beginning.

Device: palm pixi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
As PeterT has already pointed out Tabs and indents are two different things.
Here, indentation is spaces, tabs, indents, etc. It is generally done for the same purposes, in 95% (not 100%) of paragraphs. A good program would correctly convert tabs into indents, when appropriate. Calibre doesn't do that, at least for many file types, especially rtf files. Don't take my word for it. There are over 100 threads on various boards about the problem calibre has with maintaining formatting and indentation more specifically. Several sites clearly state that calibre-generated output will be rejected.

Also, if someone invents a new format, they do it for a reason. Typically, they want to do some thing a different way. Therefore, no two unique formats are identical. That's sort of obvious, actually.

Anyway, for this and other reasons, there are "degeneracies" in the myriad ebook formats. In other words, one format might achieve a result using two different methods. In converting from one format to another, software programs need to be smart about guessing what potential equivalents are most suitable.

Look, that wasn't a fly by night post. I had imed the author. He didn't respond. He doesn't seem to care. These posts here? I'm guessing you guys want to trash my reputation. That's fine. But I'd like to point out to anyone reading carefully, that you're right --- there's no good logic to these posts, aside from that end goal. Yes, there are workarounds. Using Sigil, avoiding rtf, using document-specific css inserts, etc. are all doable. Are workarounds good? Everyone but me and A Lurker seem to think so. IMO? No, they clues of a problem in software program.

Also. Things can always be improved. Please don't get in the way of that by pretending things are already perfect. For this reason, I ask that you treat this post differently from my others. (And don't delete it.)

VR,
Jason
jasontaylor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You are expecting Calibre to know what you want to do with your poor source. Well, it's not always possible to know what to do and thus, you have to take responsibility that your source is good enough. Given that you are going to ePub, just buck it up, and fix up the ePub after it's done. It's very easy to fix the indents. If you don't know what t do, be nice about it, say you don't know what to do and then you can get help.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #36
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No one has a work around for you because you haven't adequately described your problem. Once again if you have a specific problem converting Mobi to ePub as indicated in the above quote, start a new thread. Follow the guidelines previously pointed out and we'll be glad to help. Converting from RTF and converting from Mobi are two very different beasts.

Quote:
Also. Things can always be improved. Please don't get in the way of that by pretending things are already perfect.
No one said calibre was perfect. Calibre is a tool for the reader not a tool for the publisher , writer or editor.

Quote:
For this reason, I ask that you treat this post differently from my others. (And don't delete it.)
I'm aware of only one thread having any posts deleted in the calibre forums over the last 4 years. That was in the plugins section and 5 or 6 posts strayed from what the MobileRead (green) moderators felt appropriate. Those posts were deleted. I don't believe you were part of that discussion. Other than that 1 instance (with the exceptions of deletions due to duplicate posts and user requested post deletions) I am unaware of any posts being deleted in the calibre forums.

I apologize if I'm wrong but your paranoia might be best directed to the forum that actually deleted posts of yours.

Good Reading.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-09-2013 at 11:14 PM. Reason: changed board to forum
Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #37
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
For what it's worth I just tried a simple experiment. I made a very simple RTF document in Microsoft Write (Windows 7). One paragraph I left alone; one I indented using the "increase indent" option, a third I used a tab to indent the first line, and the final one I used the paragraph format option to indent the first line.

When calibre converted to ePub format all was as I expected; items formatted via Write options (ie indentation or first line indent) came across perfectly. Text I pseudo formatted with tabs came out as if there was no formatting done to them.

This is the same as someone who formats a table using tabs and spaces as opposed to applying the correct tabular formatting in the original document.
Attached Files
File Type: rtf test.rtf (2.7 KB, 204 views)
File Type: epub test - Unknown.epub (132.5 KB, 220 views)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:53 AM   #38
jasontaylor7
Blacklisted
jasontaylor7 began at the beginning.

Device: palm pixi
Quote:
No one said calibre was perfect.
Agreed. It's free. I'm almost surprised there are weekly updates.

Quote:
I apologize if I'm wrong
Good. In your IM you said you didn't care if I wrote about this. So here goes. My first post to this site, mobileread.com was post post #2413094. Now it live. But it wasn't. For a while. My stats on this site showed zero instead of one. Meanwhile, google's cache showed the original post. On Feb. 6th I even retrieved my original post via google's cache so I'd have a copy:

At the time of writing my 3rd post to this board, 2nd to this thread, 33% of my posts had been deleted. Since I posted here, google's cache of my original post was deleted, the thread was undeleted to a new area without any notice to me until about a day after my 2nd post to this thread, at which point I got a message showing I was subscribed to a new thread. I assumed the reason the original post was deleted was because it showed how inefficient some DRM is. DRM takes up space. No surprise there. This board's policy is to respect all DRM, since doing otherwise would make you enemies of publishers. No shock my post was removed from the high-traffic general area.

Is it possible my thread was just moved? That would explain some of the facts, but not all, because my stats page went from 1 to 0 posts. Was my post held? Edited to remove a url? Then moved to a low-traffic area nobody visits? Sure, but why didn't the mod pm me so I had an idea? Also, note that at present time a google's last spider only shows posts 2-6. Not my first post. Why? Because it had already indexed my first post and is smart enough to know it had been deleted. Should I really show all the snapshots proving this? Probably not, because any discussions about moderator activity are not supposed to be even allowed here. (See Rule 12.) So I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by jasontaylor7; 02-10-2013 at 01:48 AM. Reason: remove trailing / in jpg.
jasontaylor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:17 AM   #39
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Update: In hindsight I think I may know why jasontaylor7 came to the conclusion he did. I explained my reasonable guess in this post.

Quote:
Quote:
As PeterT has already pointed out Tabs and indents are two different things.
For this reason, I ask that you treat this post differently from my others. (And don't delete it.)
I responded to this assertion that I ever actually deleted any post of yours from the calibre forum. As it turns out you decided to verify what I had previously stated, that as far as I am aware no post of yours has ever been deleted from the calibre forum.

Thank you for the honest response.

Quote:
Quote:
I apologize if I'm wrong
Good. In your IM you said you didn't care if I wrote about this. So here goes. My first post to this site, mobileread.com was post post #2413094. Now it live. But it wasn't.
More precisely I stated, Personally I don't care what you do, but if I were you I would go and reread what was stated.

The deleted then restored post you're referring to is this post in the Workshop forum.

So you are verifying that what I previously wrote was 100% correct, as the Workshop forum is not part of the Calibre forum. Thanks again for your honesty. The group of moderators here in the Calibre forum have no input into what goes on elsewhere on this board.

Now if you would like help with your mobi to epub problem please create a new thread with details so we can help you out.

Good Reading!

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-10-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #40
numbtongue
numbtongue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Found this online converter from RTF to MOBI

Moderator Notice
please don't post links that initiate software downloads without some discussion that you actually used it !!

And what theducks has posted below

Link deleted.

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-08-2016 at 05:35 PM.
numbtongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #41
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbtongue View Post
You replied to a 3 year old post
6 months is OLD for Calibre
Please consider the thread dates before posting
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote