Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Dyspeptica
Enthusiast
Dyspeptica began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Large files: parts have different formatting, hard page break

Hi,
I'm converting some large html files to epubs. Ebook-convert apparently cannot handle these files as one chunk and I see:

Splitting markup on page breaks and flow limits, if any
Looking for large trees in <file>
No large trees found
Split into <x> parts

The number of parts can be as many as 10.
PROBLEM: In the epub output file, there are now hard page breaks (roughly corresponding to every 1/xth of the file) and the text commences at the top of a new page.
How can I avoid the insertion of the hard break?

AND: Worse yet, the font size changes across this boundary!!

I am using a font size directive at the top of the file, in an attempt to meld the four parts of each file into a coherent single text. And not succeeding.

I presume that each part is starting with some default configuration. Where would that be set and how can I revised those defaults?
Dyspeptica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
An html file inside an epub is broken if its larger than 260kb as many old eink readers are unable to open epubs otherwise. You can change the limit in epub output options but I would recommend using Sigil for converting Html to epub for the best results.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyspeptica View Post
I'm converting some large html files to epubs. Ebook-convert apparently cannot handle these files as one chunk and I see:

Splitting markup on page breaks and flow limits, if any
Looking for large trees in <file>
No large trees found
Split into <x> parts

The number of parts can be as many as 10.
This is by design, as the memory and processor speed is limited. The ePub (most use the Adobe Digital Editions) engine requires the epub to be in chunks smaller than 300k. To be safe calibre uses 260k as the guide. If the chucmk ends up above 300k many readers will lock-up.

Quote:
PROBLEM: In the epub output file, there are now hard page breaks (roughly corresponding to every 1/xth of the file) and the text commences at the top of a new page.
How can I avoid the insertion of the hard break?
Use Sigil and manually insert breaks at the end of chapters. As long as the chapters are less than 300k you will be fine.

Quote:
AND: Worse yet, the font size changes across this boundary!!
There is nothing in calibre that will cause this to happen. The original html needs to be examined closer to see exactly how the font info is applied.

Quote:
I presume that each part is starting with some default configuration. Where would that be set and how can I revised those defaults?
The sections do not have their own default. The css controls all aspects of the epub the same way css controls the html. Make sure your original css is correct.

You might get better guidance from the folks in the Sigil forum.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Dyspeptica
Enthusiast
Dyspeptica began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
" Doctor Oh: This is by design, as the memory and processor speed is limited. The ePub (most use the Adobe Digital Editions) engine requires the epub to be in chunks smaller than 300k. To be safe calibre uses 260k as the guide. If the chucmk ends up above 300k many readers will lock-up."

Thanks. This confirms something I read somewhere. I have no problem with this generally, although I would like to avoid it, if I could.

"Use Sigil and manually insert breaks at the end of chapters. As long as the chapters are less than 300k you will be fine."

Doppelganger recommended sigil as well, but I cannot get it to build on Fedora 17. It has a problem finding the boost libraries when linking. I'll post on sigil's forums about that.
If I get that fixed I will be happy to try sigil... but I have no idea if it can be run from the command line. I have a large number of files to convert, which I am presently doing by script, not in the calibre gui.

There ARE no chapters. These are large single files.
Doppelganger stated "You can change the limit in epub output options". I am presently unable to see exactly where that can be done (noting that I am using convert from the command line. The man pages give me no joy on this point. Can someone give me a clue?
If I can change the limit, I will. Does anyone know if stanza and fbreader have the 300k limit problem?

"There is nothing in calibre that will cause this to happen. The original html needs to be examined closer to see exactly how the font info is applied."

Well it IS happening and there are no font directive changes at the break points. That's why the change is so weird/annoying.

"The sections do not have their own default. The css controls all aspects of the epub the same way css controls the html. Make sure your original css is correct."

I'm not actually *using* css. I just pushed some (I know, now deprecated) html font size directives at the top. I can create a 'standard.css' file and call that instead of putting in html, but I fail to see how/why that would be different *unless* the convert code remembers that there is a css directive file, and *re-loads* the css.
Can anyone confirm/deny this?

"You might get better guidance from the folks in the Sigil forum."

Hope so! As noted, I already have a problem getting sigil to compile.

"Good Luck"

I think I need it! None of this is fatal but it is annoying.
Dyspeptica is offline   Reply With Quote