Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Help me narrow down my 7-8 inch tablet choices!

I am in the market for a cheap mini-tablet. I have an iPad and love it, but it's a bit heavy for bedtime reading. I have an iPod Touch and it's a bit small. I also have an e-ink Kindle but the lighting situation in the bedroom isn't great. I have experimented with book lights for ereading and don't like them. I'd like to sell my Kindle and get a backlit mini tablet.

So I am thinking of getting a 7-inch tablet and am not sure what to get. Ideally, I want to read books on the Kindle app, watch Netflix and maybe read Zinio magazines (that is not a deal-breaker though; I am on the fence about sticking with Zinio).

The Vox tempts me a little now that it can load Google Play, but I loathe the Kobo app and am not sure how easy it is to hide it or minimize it. I know I can add the Kindle app easily, but will I still have Kobo on the toolbar, or can it be removed? Also, I am not sure it is powerful enough to run Netflix.

Kindle Fire is not an option since I am in Canada.

Blackberry Playbook, I know nothing about. I do have a Blackberry phone and don't love the apps for it. I think Android is more popular. But I don't want games or anything, just Netflix and Kindle.

Is there another device I haven't thought of?

Ideally, my ideal device would be a mini iPad, and I know there have been rumors but nothing confirmed. I also am wondering if it's time for the Kobo Vox 2 and if that might be worth waiting for.

Ideas? Suggestions? Buy now or wait? What device? I welcome any help.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I am in the market for a cheap mini-tablet. I have an iPad and love it, but it's a bit heavy for bedtime reading. I have an iPod Touch and it's a bit small. I also have an e-ink Kindle but the lighting situation in the bedroom isn't great. I have experimented with book lights for ereading and don't like them. I'd like to sell my Kindle and get a backlit mini tablet.

So I am thinking of getting a 7-inch tablet and am not sure what to get. Ideally, I want to read books on the Kindle app, watch Netflix and maybe read Zinio magazines (that is not a deal-breaker though; I am on the fence about sticking with Zinio).

The Vox tempts me a little now that it can load Google Play, but I loathe the Kobo app and am not sure how easy it is to hide it or minimize it. I know I can add the Kindle app easily, but will I still have Kobo on the toolbar, or can it be removed? Also, I am not sure it is powerful enough to run Netflix.

Kindle Fire is not an option since I am in Canada.

Blackberry Playbook, I know nothing about. I do have a Blackberry phone and don't love the apps for it. I think Android is more popular. But I don't want games or anything, just Netflix and Kindle.

Is there another device I haven't thought of?

Ideally, my ideal device would be a mini iPad, and I know there have been rumors but nothing confirmed. I also am wondering if it's time for the Kobo Vox 2 and if that might be worth waiting for.

Ideas? Suggestions? Buy now or wait? What device? I welcome any help.
Vox is $169.99 right now and does run Netflix, reading with Aldiko for all formats (even library books) except Kindle is a charm. You can get rid of the Kobo widgets by installing a launcher like Go Launcher.
Another choice could be the 7" Galaxy Tab 16 gb, it's at $249.99 ($100 off) at Best Buy and Future Shop until the 21st. Thin and light, looks at lot like the iPad and it has a lot of great features. Samsung hasn't given a date yet but their Galaxy Tabs will all be updated to Ice Cream Sandwich in the coming months.
I agree that Android is much better for apps than BlackBerry and if you also have an Android phone, you can "share" your purchased apps between devices. I think that since you are used to Apple products, you would be better off with the Tab because it's a fair bit faster than the Vox. You might find the Vox slow; I know I do unless I'm using it strictly as a reader.
Galaxy Tab listing here:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/SearchR...Category=20356

Last edited by Cdesja5; 06-15-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Chantal! I played with one today at Indigo and liked it, it was faster and sleeker than I thought. I really dislike the Kobo app though so I am glad to hear I can get rid of their widgets. I am going to see how much I can get for my Kindle and then maybe buy one.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
If you are not in a rush, wait to see what's announced in 2 weeks at Google IO - rumour is a quad-core 7" tablet for $199. I personally would avoid the Kobo, it's only got a single core CPU, it was outdated when it came out over a year ago.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0). It arrived on Wednesday (6/13). It was $249. I couldn't find one locally; the tax would have been around $18. Amazon had it for $249 as well, with next-day shipping for ~$16, but no tax. Just an interesting factoid.

It did not come with an epub reader but before it came I stumbled across and downloaded the apk (program) for the free version of Aldiko (I can't find that site now, drat). I put that on the micro SD card and installed it easily onto the Tab. It works fine. The Tab came with a PDF reader and players for mp3, mp4 (video) and flv (flash video), and jpgs. It does everything I need it to, which is good as I don't have wi-fi at home (our apartment complex club house has it though). It seems that a high percentage of the apps that came with the Tab are wi-fi oriented (google play market, netflix, etc), but I gathered the most used apps in a file on my home page and that makes it easier to find them.

Note: this is the first Android product I've ever used, so if you're new to it, search around the internet for tips and tricks. The Samsung site offered a free download of the big user manual, and many sites talk about Android in forum formats.

I think for plain old reading though I'll stick to my Ectaco JBL
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 02:49 AM   #6
Flip Martian
Connoisseur
Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.

Device: Sony PRS 350, iPad, Sony PRS-T1
Aldiko is a decent ebook reader for Android - I used to use it on phones. Like many other Android apps, its available on the Google Play - what used to be called the Android Marketplace - which is available on every Android tablet. Just hit the icon and go and search for it. The free version was fine for me.
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
JKatz88
JKatz88 began at the beginning.

Device: Ideapad A1
would definitely go for an acer iconia 100/200 or wait for the new Google Tablet to come out and just download the Amazon Kindle Reader app. So easy to work with and works like a charm. Just do not buy a Lenovo product if you want to do multitasking
JKatz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'm still very happy with my Flyer and my husband with his Lenovo.

Does the Iconia make a drive letter when you connect it to Windows? (so you don't need a tool to transfer files to your device)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Recently purchased and still exclusively use an Archos 80 G9 for my ebook / digital comic reading. I used an iPad but it seemed a little too unwieldy for comfortable reading. I also tried the nook Color, but found the 7" "widescreen" format a little too cramped for digital comics and heavily imaged books (had to constantly zoom in and out).

The 8" Archos screen at a 4:3 ratio and 1024x768 resolution is the best compromise for me all around. It's no too heavy for long-term reading, the screen is very nice for comics and so far I have gotten very good battery life (7.5 hours minimum up to 13 maximum between charges depending on the usage from movie viewing to basic web access to reading).

Oh, and they are constantly on/off sale at your local Staples for $199.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
stanleystarrh
Banned
stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nexus 7!

Then let me know how it is
stanleystarrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
ficbot
Wizard

Update: bought one, played with it a few days and then returned it. I heard from an Indigo employee that there will be a Kobo Vox 2 in the fall, and I also want to wait on Nexus 7 reviews. The Nexus 7 is almost 15% lighter than the Vox and that makes a difference to me.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
The Nexus 7 looks pretty amazing to me.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
The Nexus 7 looks pretty amazing to me.
The lack of an SD card slot is a significant issue for me. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 which I'm very happy with and would recommend.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
JKatz88
JKatz88 began at the beginning.

Device: Ideapad A1
The lack of an sd-card will be an issue for many users, however I personally do not store more than 8-16gb worth of media on my device anyway. It slows it down tremendously.

However, according to the article I read about the tablet, The Amazon Kindle Fire Killer is out: Asus Nexus 7, now we have a tablet with 1GB of RAM, and NVIDIA’s quad-core Tegra 3 SoC processor. This will be great to stream video and work twice as fast than most tablets can currently.

I definitely want to get my hands on one to try it out myself.
JKatz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It will be a very nice device for streaming video, but not at all good for taking video with you on a trip, say. The 6GB or so which are available for storage on an 8GB device isn't very much if you're using it for video.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote