Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 08-24-2009, 06:14 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Post Dickens, Charles: Dombey and Son (Illustrated). v5. 29 Apr 2010

Mr Dombey is a man obsessed with his firm. His son is groomed from birth to take his place within it, despite his visionary eccentricity and declining health. But Dombey also has a daughter, whose unfailing love for her father goes unreturned. "Girls" said Mr Dombey, "have nothing to do with Dombey and Son". When Walter Gay, a young clerk in her father's office, rescues her from a bewildering experience in the streets of London, his unforgettable friends believe he is well on his way to receiving her hand in marriage and inheriting the company. However, things work out very differently...

Fully illustrated with the original black and white illustrations by Phiz.

This text is the posthumously-published version, which is some 5000 words longer than that published during Dickens' lifetime. He discovered that he had written too much to fit in the available space in the magazine, and was forced to edit it accordingly. The majority of the additional text occurs in the first few chapters (and over half of it in the first three chapters), but there are additional lines and paragraphs throughout the book that may not be there if you are comparing the text with a different edition.

Enjoy!

EDIT: 13 Dec 2007

Improved the formatting to preserve dashes, etc. Uploaded v2.

EDIT: 28 Dec 07

Added all the original illustrations. Cleaned up the formatting. Uploaded v3.

EDIT: 16 Mar 08

New version to resolve an issue with incorrect paragraph breaks. Uploaded v4.

EDIT: 29 Apr 10

Thoroughly proofed against the "Oxford Illustrated Dickens". The text was in a very, very poor state, and had obviously been scanned and then very indifferently proof-read. The most common error was missing quotation marks, or commas incorrectly displayed as quotation marks (or vice versa). I've also restored all the missing formatting (italics, capitals, etc). In addition, several of the illustrations were of poor quality, and I've re-scanned these. All in, several thousand errors have been corrected, and the text is now in good shape. If you find any remaining errors that I've overlooked, please let me know.

Previous download count: 142
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Dombey and Son.epub (3.37 MB, 1344 views)

Last edited by HarryT; 04-29-2010 at 12:40 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thoroughly proofed against the "Oxford Illustrated Dickens". The text was in a very, very poor state, and had obviously been scanned and then very indifferently proof-read. The most common error was missing quotation marks, or commas incorrectly displayed as quotation marks (or vice versa). I've also restored all the missing formatting (italics, capitals, etc). In addition, several of the illustrations were of poor quality, and I've re-scanned these. All in, several thousand errors have been corrected, and the text is now in good shape. If you find any remaining errors that I've overlooked, please let me know.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
A thousand thanks -- yet again -- for your time and care, Harry. Safely tucked into both my Calibre libraries now (one on the PC, the other on the laptop because of a recent computer disaster). That's my weekend nicely taken care of. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Tanzaku
Enthusiast
Tanzaku doesn't litterTanzaku doesn't litterTanzaku doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you find any remaining errors that I've overlooked, please let me know.
Harry,
I, too, am frustrated by the appalling quality of some of the text from public domain books. Thanks for all your efforts on the Dickens titles. I'm reading Dombey and Son now and, unfortunately, still finding a few pesky mistakes in the text. How do you want them sent to you? And because this thread is pretty old now, do you still want them? Other Dickens titles, too?
And finally, what are your thoughts about double quotes rather than single quotes? Is this too exclusively an American convention to warrant a change?
Brooks
Tanzaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, please do send them to me. A PM, giving the chapter number and quoting the sentence in which the error occurs is the best way. Corrections are very welcome.

Single quotes for speech are used in almost all books published in the UK.