Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #61
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Last edited by davidfor; Today at 11:17 PM. Reason: I make no claims to be able to spell
I keep saying.... I can spell; I just can't TYPE!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #62
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
There is no difference in how 2.3.1 and 2.3.2 handle the series information. Or how calibre handles these firmware versions. But, calibre can't set the series information as it puts the books on the device, you have to reconnected to calibre after the device processes the books. Did you do this?
Are you sure? It's not part of stock-calibre, but I'm sure I had a plugin that was setting the series information. I don't recall having to reconnect to get the info.

As it is, books appear on the correct shelf, but the series name (and number) does not display on the library list for any book added since upgrading to 2.3.2.

Still, I don't find that to be a killer issue: since the book really _is_ on the shelf, I don't much care if it shows that it's in the series, especially compared to the other hassles of 2.3.1
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #63
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Are you sure? It's not part of stock-calibre, but I'm sure I had a plugin that was setting the series information. I don't recall having to reconnect to get the info.

As it is, books appear on the correct shelf, but the series name (and number) does not display on the library list for any book added since upgrading to 2.3.2.

Still, I don't find that to be a killer issue: since the book really _is_ on the shelf, I don't much care if it shows that it's in the series, especially compared to the other hassles of 2.3.1
Yes - you used to have to set the plug in to get the series information. Now with Firmware 2.3.1 & 2.3.2 you can tick "set series information" in the Kobo plug in in Calibre and the series name and index will be put into the Kobo database the next time the device is connected. It will also list the books together on your Kobo in series order

Don't forget to delete your Metadata Plugboard in Calibre if you set one up for series info, otherwise the series info displays twice

Last edited by Willa; 02-06-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Clicked too soon!
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #64
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
There is no difference in how 2.3.1 and 2.3.2 handle the series information. Or how calibre handles these firmware versions. But, calibre can't set the series information as it puts the books on the device, you have to reconnected to calibre after the device processes the books. Did you do this?
I had not done that, but today I reconnected to the GLO (to calibre) to add another book, and, hey presto, the series info for the previously added books appeared.

Thank you for your excellent work on the calibre plugin, and your very useful presence in this forum. I hope that kobo pays you a handsome sum for doing their work!
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #65
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
Yes - you used to have to set the plug in to get the series information. Now with Firmware 2.3.1 & 2.3.2 you can tick "set series information" in the Kobo plug in in Calibre and the series name and index will be put into the Kobo database the next time the device is connected.
I guess I should trust the guy who wrote the driver when he tells me how it is

I factory reset my Touch, yesterday, and had redownloaded a bunch of books, and connected/disconnected more than once, and was still seeing missing series information. However, one more connect just now, and everything's showing, so I have no idea what I'd done, but it does seem to be working as advertized.

Quote:
It will also list the books together on your Kobo in series order
Now that never worked for me before. Another thing that was a small annoyance, but not a show-stopper. Now they're all showing in order at last!
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #66
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
You have to upgrade your Touch to at least firmware 2.2.0. Otherwise, you use a metadata plugboard to put the series info into the title and put the books on the device again.
Drat! I downgraded to 2.1.5 because I couldn't stand the return to the wrong page bug. I'll see if I can figure out the plugboard thingy.

Thanks,

V
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #67
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
Drat! I downgraded to 2.1.5 because I couldn't stand the return to the wrong page bug. I'll see if I can figure out the plugboard thingy.

Thanks,

V
You could just stay in the book, and not go back to the home screen and keep the device in sleep mode (as in, not use off-mode). This way you'll never lose your page with that bug. However, this of course won't work if you read more than one book at a time...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #68
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
You could just stay in the book, and not go back to the home screen and keep the device in sleep mode (as in, not use off-mode). This way you'll never lose your page with that bug. However, this of course won't work if you read more than one book at a time...
That's basically it. I read one fiction and one non fiction usually and that bug really drives me crazy.

I found a screen image titled 'Customize Kobo Touch' how do I get to it in Calibre?

I could, when I find it, set up both methods of series info. (I realize that when I finally update to a less buggy firmware I'll have to undo one method for the other)

Thanks,

V
Old 02-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #69
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not quite sure what screen image you mean or where you found it...

But, if you follow PeterT's clear instructions in this thread here, you'll have Calibre set up to nicely include series info in book titles when sent to the Touch, and also automatically have shelves created for each series (if you want).

As for having the books series-ready for when a working (or less buggy) firmware appears, I think how to do that is described here.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #70
volpo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I'm not quite sure what screen image you mean or where you found it...

But, if you follow PeterT's clear instructions in this thread here,
That was what I needed to get into a bit more trouble

Thanks!

V
Old 02-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #71
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
That was what I needed to get into a bit more trouble

Thanks!

V
Old 02-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #72
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
I tried applying this again.
It seemed to go ok, however it didn't show any books on the front screen. As I sideload all my books I assume this is an issue with sideloaded books.
When I press the "reading" bar/text on the front screen they appear.

But when I power back up, they're not appearing again until I press the "reading" bar/text again.

Strange, anyone seen this before?
I am having this exact same problem. Only I didn't know that pressing "Reading" again would make them show up after powering up. I am glad you discovered this!

So far this is the ONLY problem I am having with 2.3.2 but I just installed it a few hours ago. However if this ends up being the only bug that affects me I can absolutely live with it.
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #73
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily7 View Post
I am having this exact same problem. Only I didn't know that pressing "Reading" again would make them show up after powering up. I am glad you discovered this!

So far this is the ONLY problem I am having with 2.3.2 but I just installed it a few hours ago. However if this ends up being the only bug that affects me I can absolutely live with it.
If you are having problems after installing 2.3.2 you might like to try logging out of your Kobo account, and then logging back in again. This will rebuild the reader's database, which might help if the database became corrupted somehow or in case there is any difference between 2.3.1 and 2.3.2 database formats. Doing this will wipe your current reader settings, a bit like a factory reset but without installing new firmware and without deleting sideloaded books. If you find yourself considering a factory reset to go back to an earlier firmware version then it would certainly be worthwhile trying this first.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #74
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
If you are having problems after installing 2.3.2 you might like to try logging out of your Kobo account, and then logging back in again. This will rebuild the reader's database, which might help if the database became corrupted somehow or in case there is any difference between 2.3.1 and 2.3.2 database formats. Doing this will wipe your current reader settings, a bit like a factory reset but without installing new firmware and without deleting sideloaded books. If you find yourself considering a factory reset to go back to an earlier firmware version then it would certainly be worthwhile trying this first.
I did do that, thanks! The problem of which I spoke still persists despite that, though. But like I said, it's a bug I can live with for now.
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #75
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
So, is it now worth going from 2.1.5 to 2.3.2 by sideloading it?
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote