Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #811
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrazoids View Post
1) Well of course morality can only be Christian because it is of God so yeah I guess if you're not Christian then morality doesn't apply to you or only some kind of perversion of it.
Does that mean it's okay for Christians to murder non-Christians because morality doesn't apply to non-Christians?
Quote:
2) By all means... get in touch with Jesus.. (Hes gonna rock your world!)
He had his chance. Like I said, he can wrangle his way through the religious commitments I already have.
Quote:
3) Oh dear. Satan is known as the Great Deceiver. Never listen to him. Its a one way track downtown.
Why should I believe you? Nowhere in your own bible does it show Satan actually lying to anyone; it just calls him "deceiver."
4)People shouldn't decide they need to investigate based on my good word
5) Well at least I tried. God aint gonna fault me for that![/QUOTE]
Nice to have a god who won't fault you for harming his goals.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:13 PM   #812
terrazoids
Banned
terrazoids doesn't litterterrazoids doesn't litterterrazoids doesn't litter

Device: irex dr1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessangel View Post
Wooohooo! What happened to terrazoids in a day? Did he start with LSD or crack cocaine? He started civil and now he's burning Korans and practically starting a new KKK guild! O_O

Will some mod please close this thread?
I've been pretty clear all the way through. And I've never insulted noone! Oh but here we go with more insults. My faith is like my armor.... and I shall endure....
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #813
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've been pretty clear all the way through. And I've never insulted noone! Oh but here we go with more insults. My faith is like my armor.... and I shall endure....
From Holy Scripture:
You have built for yourselves psychic suits of armor, and clad in them, your vision is restricted, your movements are clumsy and painful, your skin is bruised, and your spirit is broiled in the sun.

I am chaos. I am the substance from which your artists and scientists build rhythms. I am the spirit with which your children and clowns laugh in happy anarchy. I am chaos. I am alive, and I tell you that you are free.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #814
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
I'm late to this topic, and am curious, has anybody recently evaluated how close they are to what the OP was calling out -- regardless of which side of the fence you're on?

Still, I'm going to step back a bit... way back! To a quiz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Those who are curious to see how rational their views of God are may like to check out The Philosophers' Magazine's "Battleground God" at http://www.philosophersnet.com/games/god.php. Sure, it isn't the final word on one's rationality, but is is a fun quiz. I took it years ago and if I remember correctly I answered all but one of the questions "correctly."
I started the quiz, and stopped, dead stuck at "Question" 3!

3. "Any being which it is right to call God must be free to do anything."

I think I am supposed to answer "true" here, previous stating a belief God, and morality existing only if God exists. But this is not true as worded. It would be illogical to conclude God can do anything. An infinite, personal, loving God who created an ordered and logical Universe would himself be logical. And there are lots of paradoxes wrapped up in that one word "anything."

Okay, I decided to continue anyway after answering "false"...

Lo and behold, I am later presented with the logical fallacy: "If God exists she would have the freedom and power to create square circles and make 1 + 1 = 72." See the fallacy? Of course God is not a she! Okay, the real fallacy is suggesting that God can do anything, even make illogical/pararoxical things happen.

It is foolish to believe in God without certain, irrevocable proof that God exists.

More specific wording. A definite "no" for me, who believes in the Christian God. Not because I am one of blind faith. But because of the wording. We are not dealing with irrevocable proof but evidence. In discussing God, it's more like being in a courtroom presenting evidence than it is like being in a laboratory observing the natural world in a search for equations and proofs. (I wonder how much this clarification would help in this thread... oh... nevermind! )

I bet a lot of people feel compelled to answer "true" just because we have begun to abuse terms like "proof" and "faith" until they don't mean what they mean. (Proof is used in place of evidence, faith in place of blind faith.)

And much to my shock... I'll be damned!... I took zero hits, and zero bullets!

I swear I took the test as I wrote this post. I was going to quit at the "free to do anything" question, which compelled my post, because the wording was so specific, I figured they didn't know what they were doing. I'm glad I continued. Not so much for myself (okay, I'm excited!), but to know that there is a site on the Internet that understands that terms have specific meanings -- and I believe also understands we've been abusing those meanings -- in a logical discussion!

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 09-22-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #815
terrazoids
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Does that mean it's okay for Christians to murder non-Christians because morality doesn't apply to non-Christians?

He had his chance. Like I said, he can wrangle his way through the religious commitments I already have.

Why should I believe you? Nowhere in your own bible does it show Satan actually lying to anyone; it just calls him "deceiver."
4)People shouldn't decide they need to investigate based on my good word
5) Well at least I tried. God aint gonna fault me for that!
Nice to have a god who won't fault you for harming his goals.[/QUOTE]

1) Only if God says so.
2) What in the world could be more important than a date with Jesus Christ? Throw off those pesky commitments, get down on your knees and just simply pray! Jesus'll be on his way double time trust me....

3) The bible shows Satan lying all over the place. What do you think happened to Judas then, why he ended right up in Satans mouth! A nice little peanut butter snack. Thats what I mean when I say you don't want to flirt with this stuff.

4...) Yeah thats the difference between God and Satan. God forgives.
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 05:21 PM   #816
terrazoids
Banned

Quote:
From Holy Scripture:
You have built for yourselves psychic suits of armor, and clad in them, your vision is restricted, your movements are clumsy and painful, your skin is bruised, and your spirit is broiled in the sun.

I am chaos. I am the substance from which your artists and scientists build rhythms. I am the spirit with which your children and clowns laugh in happy anarchy. I am chaos. I am alive, and I tell you that you are free.
Oh dear you've been reading some perverted form of scripture. Girl, that aint holy scripture.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #817
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Some apparently contradictions are only semantic clashes:

THE WORD IN BOLD IS RED.
Is the word in bold red, or blue? Depends on how it's described. The word can indeed be "red" and "blue" at the same time.
Derailing the thread here...

We used to have quite a lot of location filming going on in the are (for brits who watch soaps, the Sunhill Police Station set for The Bill is about 10-15 minutes walk from where I live), and it was common to see extras minibuses driving around. The one that had me giggling was the one with the red card in the windscreen with the word GREEN written on it, in black...
Old 09-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #818
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessangel View Post
Wooohooo! What happened to terrazoids in a day? Did he start with LSD or crack cocaine? He started civil and now he's burning Korans and practically starting a new KKK guild! O_O

Will some mod please close this thread?
Well, I did make an alternative suggestion above, but it looks like people are having too much fun to take any notice
Old 09-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #819
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
Quote:
And I've never insulted noone!
You actually have. You have insulted Chinese, you have insulted buddhists, you have insulted me, you have insulted other agnostics, atheists, and Discordians.

Insulting isn't limited to name-calling: insulting (going by the dictionary) is giving a degrading definition to someone, to put him/her on a lower state than oneself.

And you did exactly this plenty of time, by stepping up on our words and claiming your religion's superiority.
Pride? Still remember that that's a deadly sin?
And look: I'm not Christian, you are the Christian here. And you are the one who should never do onto others what you don't want the others do to you.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #820
terrazoids
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo Zeno View Post
You actually have. You have insulted Chinese, you have insulted buddhists, you have insulted me, you have insulted other agnostics, atheists, and Discordians.

Insulting isn't limited to name-calling: insulting (going by the dictionary) is giving a degrading definition to someone, to put him/her on a lower state than oneself.

And you did exactly this plenty of time, by stepping up on our words and claiming your religion's superiority.
Pride? Still remember that that's a deadly sin?
And look: I'm not Christian, you are the Christian here. And you are the one who should never do onto others what you don't want the others do to you.
Listen... I got no problem with the folk themselves, just what they believe... thats all. I certainly haven't insulted you. Yeah I remember pride... but being proud of your religion aint a sin its a virtue. I simply can't wait for all of China to be converted to Christianity. Boy we're going to be kicking out the beers that day. Oh and incidentally thats the solution to that little Tibet problem we were talking about earlier. Why, it'll just melt away.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #821
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
2) What in the world could be more important than a date with Jesus Christ?
Oh, off the top of my head...
1) orgasms
2) getting bills paid
3) formatting ebooks for fanfic exchanges
4) debating religion online....

If Jesus wants time in my life, *he* can tell me.
Quote:
Throw off those pesky commitments, get down on your knees and just simply pray! Jesus'll be on his way double time trust me....
How could he trust I'd keep my commitments to him if I won't keep them to other gods?
Quote:
3) The bible shows Satan lying all over the place. What do you think happened to Judas then, why he ended right up in Satans mouth! A nice little peanut butter snack. Thats what I mean when I say you don't want to flirt with this stuff.
Verses. Which verses show Satan lying?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #822
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think we've all had quite enough of this nonsense. What a shame that, once again, one person has to spoil things for everyone.

Thread closed.

Closed Thread