Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
AAC vs MP3

I recently started using an ipod after many years of non-apple music players. I was surprised to realize that the Zune software is vastly superior to itunes. Shocked!

Also, Amazon.com mp3s are a lot cheaper than iTunes music....sometimes half price for the same album.

I have read that AAC is supposed to be superior to MP3....definitely at low bit rates. However, my thinking is that beyond 200kbps encoding they must be virtually indistinguishable. right? Of course, my thinking is that if I buy an MP3 version I don't want anything second rate since price really isn't that big of a deal for me since I really don't buy that much music to begin with. I also don't want to buy CDs because they take up too much space.

Do you think Amazon mp3s are just as good as itunes AAC files for a high quality sound system?
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I started out with a sony zen which was great until I washed it ;o(. since then I have had several Zunes. at first I just downloaded my cd's, then graduated to the Zune store, and have finally been using Amazon and being REALLY happy about not having to get entire CDs.

I think the sound is awesom and have had my Zune hooked up to some pretty spectacular speakers and never had any sound isssues (except from CD recordings)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 05:22 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have a pretty good HiFi system, and with my decidedly middle-aged ears I can't hear any difference between a 320kbit MP3 file and the original CD. When you can't hear any difference, then to my mind, there is no difference.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
check out

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?act=idx

its the reference!

These people know MP3/AAC inside out

In my opinion the AAC Apple produces in iTunes sound decent. I am not impressed by their MP3's. For that I would use LAME to encode (256kBit VBR)

But I am getting older so my hearing is getting worse ....
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Of course, there's also ogg-vorbis which is in a similar realm to mp3 but without the ugly patent issues.

Most of the stuff I have here is 320kbit~VBR encoded and I cannot distinguish it from CD most of the time (though I do wish we had a better common standard than CDs now because quite honestly the dynamic range can be exceeded due to questionable post production work).

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
All of my music is MP3 @ 320k. The quality is very good, perhaps not as good as CD, but close. The main advantage of using the MP3 format is the versatility. I can play MP3's on my computer, my phone, in my car, even my eBook reader plays them. I simply can't see any reason why I would want any other format...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Actually all modern devices play AAC files as well.

Since Apple abandoned DRM with iTunes Plus format I can buy stuff at iTunes, copy it to a SDHC card and play it on my car audio system

Same is true for my Nokia phone or the Sony 505 reader ....
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote