Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Seriously? LOL

So I ordered a clip from Amazon for my K3.

Let me remind everyone, I am a huge Amazon supporter. Great, fast service, and the few problems I've had have been taken care of immediately.

However, I received the clip today, and I just want to post a picture of the size of the package, vs the size of the box.

At least they used "pillows" to keep it from rattling....

Normally, boxes are sized better, but this isn't the first time there has been such a discrepancy in size.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle Clip 003.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	565.0 KB
ID:	58642  
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Amazon boxes are great! I always keep them for the stuff I sell on eBay. They're ideal for that because they're reusable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I've gotten that kind of packaging before. you wonder why they couldn't have used a padded envelope or at least a Kindle sized box. must have something to do with warehouse and packaging efficiency. however the ONE broken item I received was similarly packaged.... in a WAY too big of box with just a few of those air pillows
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon boxes are great! I always keep them for the stuff I sell on eBay. They're ideal for that because they're reusable.
Same here......I don't sell on ebay, but they make wonderful mailing packages, especially around Christmas time !!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
There once was a company called Value America. (No, this isn't a limerick-- mainly because what rhymes with "America"?) During the original Dotcom boom, when people for some reason thought they could make money by selling everything below their own cost-- and making up for it in volume-- they had something called "ValueDollars", which was a type of credit applied when you bought things-- say, spend $100, get one ValueDollar. You could then apply earned ValueDollars towards up to 50 percent of the cost of a future purpose-- for example, you want something that costs $50, you have built up 25 ValueDollars, you could pay with 25 real dollars and 25 ValueDollars. Which in itself would not have been a big drain on the company-- but here is where they went wrong: they were giving out big promotional coupon codes. I'm talking about $20, $50, $100, I think some were for even more. And the codes were advertised in specific magazines or on specific web sites for exclusive promotions for that magazine/web site. Never, apparently, did it cross the minds of the marketing geniuses that someone could post on a message board that there was a coupon code called "cosmo50" (or something similar) and people could use it without actually seeing it in the magazine. And anybody with an account at ValueAmerica could use as many of the coupons as they could find-- there was no restriction to just one promo code. So people savvy to the situation ended up getting literally hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of free merchandise. (Some gamed the system by signing up multiple accounts in relative's names and taking the moron's money-- I was honest in that I only took the moron's money in my own name.) Amongst my booty was a $250 DVD player (the cheapest on the market at the time) for $125 and a $150 Diamond Rio PMP300 (first widely-produced MP3 player) for $75, plus a $50 mail-in rebate. It was a lot of fun spending the money of all those venture capitalists before the dot.com bubble burst.

Anyway, my point before I went on that nostalgia trip was that at one point I ordered one of my favorite pen (or maybe 2 or 3, I don't remember, but it doesn't make much difference) from them amongst a batch of DVDs and books and things-- and the pen (or pens) was drop-shipped separately from the other items. And that one loose pen (or two, or three) came shipped packed in popcorn and air bladders in a box big enough to ship a breadbox.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I orderd a small item some months ago, and it came in a USPS Medium Flat Rate box. It was obviosly too small for the box, so the shipper used several small Flat Rate boxes instead of pillows to pad it out .

Why not? They're free!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I routinely get individual CD's from Amazon in boxes of that size - the Kentucky distribution warehouse is the culprit.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #8
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Desertgrandma, you obviously have too much time on your hands.

Isn't there some sort of blue haired bat brigade for you to join?
Bingo and tapioca marathons at the nursing home?
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #9
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
If you want even worse examples of packaging gone mad, take a look at the following link;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/18/hp_packaging/
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:11 AM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
Desertgrandma, you obviously have too much time on your hands.

Isn't there some sort of blue haired bat brigade for you to join?
Bingo and tapioca marathons at the nursing home?
Off our meds tonight, sweetie?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:27 AM   #11
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
If you want even worse examples of packaging gone mad, take a look at the following link;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/18/hp_packaging/
Love it!!!

They were kidding..........weren't they?

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:28 AM   #12
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Every night, Desertgrandma.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:37 AM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Every night, Desertgrandma.
you'll find all 'grandma's' aren't alike.

Some of us are very un-grandma like......except when the grandkids are around..
Old 09-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #14
recluse
Banned

You mean swapping dentures, stuff like that?
Getting high on Geritol?
Old 09-23-2010, 01:27 AM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
You mean swapping dentures, stuff like that?
Getting high on Geritol?
now you're just being mean.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote